Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to change the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:42 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by grapeapes
Its not the oil thats going bad sitting there. Its the contaminates it picks up.
I like Baker's explanation. Figure it applies to the engine oil even more since the combustion has air & carbon.

Q: How often should I change my transmission & primary fluid?
A: At least once a year, and preferably when you do your ‘before’ winter service. Oil, once exposed to oxygen through the vent, will begin to attract moisture and other contaminants that can eat away at seals, rust parts and degrade the fluid. A transmission breathes through the vent in the top cover as it is thermally cycled. As the transmission warms up, it exhales through the vent. As it cools, it breathes in through the vent. The primary drive housing also breathes through the vent in transmission top cover via the hole through the center of the mainshaft. Changing the fluid when warm is preferred as all the oil and its contaminants are in a homogenous solution and you will remove more of the heavy particulates and debris.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/frequently-asked-questions
Yep, FWIW I totally agree. Nobody is lying when they point out the durability of synthetic base oils but there is an additives package involved in oil engineering too, and contaminants naturally build over time. The "package" doesn't generally share a synthetic oil's special construction and key components of it get depleted, not simply as a function of time, but also as an immeasurable function of the things your air cooled engine can put the oil through. Air cooled motorcycle engines are a brutal environment for oils owing to, among other things randomly high and varying temperatures.

Anyhow, after what for me seemed like a lot of research on the topic , I've gone to synthetic oils for the benefits they give while retaining the standard change interval. I find the economy of justifying the switch to a clearly superior product by attempting to wring the extended life out of it a bit self deceiving anyway, (you get what you pay for period). Also, there is absolutely noting that will ensure an oil's continued containment free integrity like frequent changes. If you can't afford synthetics, not using em is ok IMHO, but extended change intervals in an air cooled engine is not something I can pursue in confidence. Just my $0.02.