Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got an answer from Harley to the price drop question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015 | 12:57 AM
Slim Chris
|
Intermediate
Default I got an answer from Harley to the price drop question

I wrote them a letter stating my concern about the price drop. They called me and Replied telling me that they dropped the price to stay more competitive in the market place because the last two quarters they have been losing sales. I had a few things to say about this. First , I informed them the way to stay competitive is to add more features and better power(110 across the board)to the bike and continually set the market standard. I also informed them that I don't think 1000 dollars is gonna bring a ton of new buyers running. They would have better spent the money offering current Harley owners 1-2 k coupon off of a new bike which maintains the values of the used market and the new while realizing that the most likely customer is a current owner. it also maintains brand value. I know it's a stretch but if Ferrari lowered the Msrp buy $18,000. Im not gonna suddenly say that's the discount I was waiting for and run to the dealer Lol. But thier reply was basically ok we will tell someone what you said. Lol.(other words stop bothering us jerk). Lol

Last edited by Slim Chris; 09-17-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2015 | 01:14 AM
saddlebag
Tourer

Originally Posted by Slim Chris
I wrote them a letter stating my concern about the price drop. They called me and Replied telling me that they dropped the price to stay more competitive in the market place because the last two quarters they have been losing sales. I had a few things to say about this. First , I informed them the way to stay competitive is to add more features and better power(110 across the board)to the bike and continually set the market standard. I also informed them that I don't think 1000 dollars is gonna bring a ton of new buyers running. They would have better spent the money offering current Harley owners 1-2 k coupon off of a new bike which maintains the values of the used market and the new while realizing that the most likely customer is a current owner. it also maintains brand value. I know it's a stretch but if Ferrari lowered the Msrp buy $18,000. Im not gonna suddenly say that's the discount I was waiting for and run to the dealer Lol. But thier reply was basically ok we will tell someone what you said. Lol.(other words stop bothering us jerk). Lol
Bikes aren't great investments, they are toys. If the toy maker wants to lower his price, I say good job! I assume you're talking about the Heritage, as I don't see any others that have dropped in price. Softies are way overpriced anyway. That counterbalancer is great, but I don't believe it costs Harley $4k more to produce than a Dyna engine.

Old 09-17-2015 | 01:27 AM
Slim Chris
|
Intermediate

I agree. Not an investment at all I am speaking from a marketing point of view since that is my thing. I was more curious as to the strategy. I already have a bike that I like but since the subject interested me I asked and its been asked here a couple of times so I figured I'd post. Just as a general rule top tier brands don't do rebates or price drops ever. So I was curious. I was referring to slim and heritage .

Old 09-17-2015 | 07:15 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

wants and needs

Old 09-17-2015 | 07:16 AM
TheRoad
Intermediate

The best way to go bankrupt is to lower prices. Harley can never make up the loss to the bottom line through increased sales. Their market is too small. Their market share keeps getting smaller as the old fat guys can't ride anymore.
I am 68 and bought my first Harley last year, a 2009 Fatboy. i enjoy riding my Fatboy, but it has it's warts. 6th gear vibration and engine noise are two things I do not like about the 96" twin cam.

Old 09-17-2015 | 07:17 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

go 103 and things will smooth out

Old 09-17-2015 | 08:04 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior

The price goes down and you're concerned about it??? You're like the 10th guy I've seen that's bothered by this. What's wrong with you guys? The price going down is a good thing. Do you work for Harley? Are you heavily invested in Harley? If not then why be concerned with what happens to them or their bottom line?

Jeez I just don't get it

Old 09-17-2015 | 08:14 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by jgos929
The price goes down and you're concerned about it??? You're like the 10th guy I've seen that's bothered by this. What's wrong with you guys? The price going down is a good thing. Do you work for Harley? Are you heavily invested in Harley? If not then why be concerned with what happens to them or their bottom line?

Jeez I just don't get it

I agree the price going down is good. Also, the market is flooded, maybe they should produce less like back in the late 80's when there were waiting lists. I recently acquired a plié of Ironhead Sportster parts, after researching what the stuff was worth, it turns out not much at all because a person with a Ironhead Sporty can buy the parts new for about what used ones may cost at a swap meet. Basically, the bikes are common, why should they be so expensive? H-D needs to make the bikes less common to justify the price. People who want a H-D and that can settle for used can pay a pretty fair price and be on a Harley. The I gotta have new people are the ones that have the coin, that's why the market is small.

Old 09-17-2015 | 08:28 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

As far as the MoCo is concerned, as soon as the dealer is forced to receive the motorcycle, it is considered sold.

The price drop is hurting dealers more than customers because the dealers are not paying 1000- less than last year.

Old 09-17-2015 | 08:35 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Slim Chris
I wrote them a letter stating my concern about the price drop.
I'm sure Harley is really concerned about your opinion.

I for one don't buy new bikes so I'm glad they dropped the price.

Quick Reply: I got an answer from Harley to the price drop question