Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Need New rear tire on faboy cause I only get 5k on stock ones

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007 | 09:33 PM
raaaaaa
|
Road Master
Default Help! Need New rear tire on faboy cause I only get 5k on stock ones

Hey,
I am in NJ and I tend to travel on my fatboy allot. I have changed the rear tire 3 times and every time they last less and less.
I had the dealer replace my stock rear tire with the same one last spring. I went to blueridge pkwy from jersey which is about 2000 miles there and back. I then went to sturgis from jersey which is about 3500 miles
(including all the local riding down there, mount rushmore, devisl tower etc...)
My rear is now bald. I do not do burn outs or anything like that. So why do these tires suck? the thing is my bike has around 32k miles on it and I have never changed the front tire, it still looks new. I took my across the country and back hitting all the major stops a couple of years ago for about 20 days and that front tire is still good as new. the rear I seem to have to change every year now.

any recomendations on a new tire and where. it is a 130. I love buying online so any help would be apreciated. thank you in adavance.

Old 05-03-2007 | 10:59 PM
SMT
Tourer
Default RE: Help! Need New rear tire on faboy cause I only get 5k on stock ones

5K is pretty good bro..bout normal. You can go with a harder tire but you will give up traction and cornering. I assume it a Dunlop that you have on there now but Avon, Michelin and Metzeler all make good tires too. I would recommend that if you go to a different rear tire that you match the front or you will be asking for trouble

Old 05-04-2007 | 10:23 AM
NavyPT
Road Master

Tire wear that rapid can't be right. My Deluxe got 18K on the rear tire and nearly 30K on the front before I had to change them. The fastest tire wear seems to come from the touring bikes especially for those who ride 2 up. My buddies report that they get 10-12K from their Dunlops.

Old 05-04-2007 | 10:38 AM
raaaaaa
|
Road Master

I never ride anyone on my bike, allot of people I talk to say 10k is the most the dealer says the same thing

Old 05-04-2007 | 10:47 AM
shortfatboy
Banned

5500 to 6000 on Dunlops...I'm trying Avon now, they feel better on the bike.

Old 05-04-2007 | 10:51 AM
Littleshack
Cruiser

Metzeler M880lasted the longest on my Fatboy. Dumb, but what air pressure do you ride on

Old 05-04-2007 | 10:54 AM
jchildress21
Cruiser

I've owned many HD's. Factory Dunlops, I've usually only gotten 7k out of, if that. I'm partial to Avon's. Metzeler makes good stuff too.

Old 05-04-2007 | 11:06 AM
raaaaaa
|
Road Master

what evers on the side of the tire, I check it every 2 months, it only needs a 2psi at the end of winter

Old 05-04-2007 | 04:54 PM
softail2005
Road Captain

Thats quite a mystery to me. My 05 Deluxe has about 8k on the dunlops and they don't show much wear at all. Still a ton of tread remaining.

My wife and I ride two up most of the time so it has quite a bit of weight on the machine. I weigh 200 and she weighs 125.

The only reason I can think of that could cause that kind of wear is underinflated tires or constant hard rear tire braking. I run 40 psi rear and 36 psi in the front for two up riding and I check them all the time. Running low pressure will trash the tire very quickly due to extreme heat buildup.

I use the front brake most of the time, since it handles about 60% of the bike breaking. I use it slowing down in the straight stops bringing in the back brake slowly. I keep off the front brake in the corners and use the back, bringing in the front brake as the bike slows.

I suppose if you are a heavyweight guy, say 300 lbs plus you would get some serious tire wear also. I take it that is not the problem.

I do think the Dunlops are one of the best tires available. Mine are stock Harley whitewalls that come on the deluxe.

Just a note for your safety: Do not run your tires down to the point where they are even close to smooth. Tire failure is the cause of most of the accidents that I see in our club, 400 members, many times people try to get too much mileage out of tires. Flats in an auto are not a big problem at a resonable speed, but flats on a bike can kill you, if you are on a group ride or in heavy traffic.

Old 05-04-2007 | 07:23 PM
raaaaaa
|
Road Master

I do a lot of rear braking. the PSI is fine, Iw ill change them again I guess. now I have to wait till the end of the month to get an apointment at the local dealer.[/align]

Quick Reply: Help! Need New rear tire on faboy cause I only get 5k on stock ones