Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight fell out of bucket.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 PM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight fell out of bucket.

I wanted to ask if having your headlight fall out has been an issue with anybody or if anybody has had any experience with this problem.

My story is that I replaced my stock headlight with one of the new Daymaker headlights last year. I've never had any issues with it until I took it to my local HD dealer to have them do any inspection. I asked them at the time if they would check to make sure it's adjusted properly because I thought it was low after I had adjusted it. The tech said that it was part of the inspection process so he'd check it out. So since I had this inspection done, I've ridden it three times. Once was a long one (4 hours each way), the second was about an hour each way and this last trip was two hours each way. This past Sunday I was on my way to Wilmington, NC when I came up behind a minivan on a straight back road, so I glanced down at my directions, it was then that I felt something hit my left heel and thought it was something the minivan had kicked up in the road. I glanced behind me and say a dark shape bouncing around back there and it looked to be going off the road. I didn't give it much thought until I arrived in Wilmington and stopped. After registering for the 343 ride, I headed back to the bike only to realize that I had no headlight. The plug was hanging down from the bucket, but no bulb.

I called the dealership after they opened and the first thing out of his mouth was how the technician would have no reason to open the headlight so it wasn't there fault. This was without any investigation or anything. The technician will not be back until Tuesday so nothing can be done until then. Basically my question is whether or not anybody thinks I'll have any luck getting either the dealership or HD to replace my headlight or if I'm going to be out of luck. I know there is no proof of what happened (my wife and I even went and tried to find the headlight and ring) so I have a feeling they're going to say that they have no liablility and will not help me. I'm planning on calling HD to let them know about this but I'm not sure if it will help. I mean come on, how often does a headlight fall out on the road?

I appreciate input about this issue. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:27 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,085 Likes on 5,818 Posts

Originally Posted by richmac64
Basically my question is whether or not anybody thinks I'll have any luck getting either the dealership or HD to replace my headlight or if I'm going to be out of luck.
The tech wouldn't open the headlight to re-aim it...I would say you are SOL...blue lock tite when you install the next one

Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 AM
Sunday
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Headlight fell out of bucket.

Mine was the opposite. It was loose in the trim ring, but it would fall back in the bucket. I ended up putting a bead of silicone around the back where it meets to the ring. Is the headlight bucket on your bike stock?

Last edited by Sunday; 09-15-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:58 PM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sunday
Mine was the opposite. It was loose in the trim ring, but it would fall back in the bucket. I ended up putting a bead of silicone around the back where it meets to the ring. Is the headlight bucket on your bike stock?
Yes, the bucket is stock. I got a call from the dealership and I'm on my own for a new headlight.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:26 AM
zz2h33
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thats a bummer, and we all know that bulb is not cheap! This story has me double checking my recently self-installed daymaker. In order for that to fall out like that you would of needed the three screws that attach the adaptor ring to the housing to come out and the screw that clamps the trim ring to the housing to come out, then all three pieces to fall out - trim ring, adaptor ring, then the bulb itself. Extremly bad luck or something wasnt installed correctly. I would agree there should be no reason for the tech to touch the trim ring or adaptor ring to adjust the headlight...but I guess you never know. Maybe they had a new guy that had no idea what he was doing...take the light completly apart before realizing all he needed to do was loosen the bolt on the mounting block. Then he puts everything back together and forgets the adaptor ring?

Last edited by zz2h33; 09-16-2015 at 09:29 AM.