Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Series - Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 05:21 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I of course went with the Harley Aux lights. Funny thing about them is that the black lights actually come with chrome bezels, go figure. Had to buy the bezels separately but you can save $$ using the amber lights that I got for $35 for the pair. You can also wire Harley bullet lights into the bottom screw on your headlight fascia by using a 5/16" stud that are easily gotten at Pep Boys as carb manifold studs. I am a FIRM believer in having lots of light up front to catch the attention of oncoming traffic.
Yeah those look good. They look like they belong on your bike. Very smart move spending the extra bucks on a quality set up.

Last edited by HenryT; 01-02-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:26 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by wrussi
im not sure about those little lights... they look weird idk i guess in person looks better.
What's weird? They look almost like the stock HD turn signals. Slightly smaller with a bezel instead of a smooth bullet.

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I of course went with the Harley Aux lights. Funny thing about them is that the black lights actually come with chrome bezels, go figure. Had to buy the bezels separately but you can save $$ using the amber lights that I got for $35 for the pair. You can also wire Harley bullet lights into the bottom screw on your headlight fascia by using a 5/16" stud that are easily gotten at Pep Boys as carb manifold studs. I am a FIRM believer in having lots of light up front to catch the attention of oncoming traffic.
Sarge.
I like your setup best too. Until I get my windshield, I'm going to hold off on the classic style. I can fab a bracket once the windshield is in place. The smaller running lights will move to somewhere less conspicuous.

Where did you get the amber lights? Are they incandescent bulbs or LED? I love the look of the amber lenses, but I ride a lot at night and pre-dawn in a less-than-urban setting (Savannah outskirts.) The front visibility is something I insist on too, but I also need to throw light down the road.

My off-road lights on the BMW are extremely bright and came with snap-on amber lenses. I find the amber light very helpful in the rain, and excellent as daytime lights; but I prefer the white light on dry nights/mornings.

It would be nice to have a modular lenses for the Slim that I could swap back and forth, but without the clunky look of an off-road light.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:59 PM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by SLV
What's weird? They look almost like the stock HD turn signals. Slightly smaller with a bezel instead of a smooth bullet.

Sarge.
I like your setup best too. Until I get my windshield, I'm going to hold off on the classic style. I can fab a bracket once the windshield is in place. The smaller running lights will move to somewhere less conspicuous.

Where did you get the amber lights? Are they incandescent bulbs or LED? I love the look of the amber lenses, but I ride a lot at night and pre-dawn in a less-than-urban setting (Savannah outskirts.) The front visibility is something I insist on too, but I also need to throw light down the road.

My off-road lights on the BMW are extremely bright and came with snap-on amber lenses. I find the amber light very helpful in the rain, and excellent as daytime lights; but I prefer the white light on dry nights/mornings.

It would be nice to have a modular lenses for the Slim that I could swap back and forth, but without the clunky look of an off-road light.

Bro you seem to be a really cool dude, but gotta call you on this one. Reminds me of a time when I was younger and I installed some cheesy projector type fog lamps on my F-150 4X4. Some dude looked at them and said "look at your Vato Zone lights" I was crushed but had to deep down agree inside they were just that, cheap looking crap that looked out of place on an otherwise sweet truck....learned a huge lesson in class that day....What killed me is the guy who said it was considerably younger than me!!! Damn I should have been telling him that LOL.

Plus side you can always buy a new headlight nacelle and start over...

Old 01-02-2016, 10:44 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

That was not necessary Henry.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:34 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HenryT
Bro you seem to be a really cool dude, but gotta call you on this one. Reminds me of a time when I was younger and I installed some cheesy projector type fog lamps on my F-150 4X4. Some dude looked at them and said "look at your Vato Zone lights" I was crushed but had to deep down agree inside they were just that, cheap looking crap that looked out of place on an otherwise sweet truck....learned a huge lesson in class that day....What killed me is the guy who said it was considerably younger than me!!! Damn I should have been telling him that LOL.

Really? You got your feelings hurt by some young dude with a smartass comment? Did you just remove the lights, or did your therapist recommend a more thorough treatment? The funny thing is that it was a Ford. The stupid kid overlooked that to criticize the lights? You should have known better than trust his opinion. "If you want to carry a heavy load, drive a Chevy; if you want to swallow a heavy load, drive a Ford."

I appreciate the honest opinion, but don't be upset if I'm not butt-hurt by it. We all have opinions. I haven't seen your bike, but I'd probably have opinions about it.

I don't get why you think they are cheap. Just don't like them if that's what you feel (oops, those damn feelings again.)

Cheap, as I see it, is some of the hammered Chinese pot metal I've bought at HD parts counters over the years. I do like the Daymakers though.

Why would I need a new headlight bucket? It has two 1/4" holes added. Countersink the holes, buck two rivets, touch up the paint and they disappear completely. Are people incapable of working metal these days?

PS.
I am a very cool dude

Originally Posted by splattttttt
That was not necessary Henry.
Thanks for the backup Splattttttt. I got it though. I know a guy that can recommend a therapist for me!

Old 01-03-2016, 11:26 AM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by SLV
Really? You got your feelings hurt by some young dude with a smartass comment? Did you just remove the lights, or did your therapist recommend a more thorough treatment? The funny thing is that it was a Ford. The stupid kid overlooked that to criticize the lights? You should have known better than trust his opinion. "If you want to carry a heavy load, drive a Chevy; if you want to swallow a heavy load, drive a Ford."

I appreciate the honest opinion, but don't be upset if I'm not butt-hurt by it. We all have opinions. I haven't seen your bike, but I'd probably have opinions about it.

I don't get why you think they are cheap. Just don't like them if that's what you feel (oops, those damn feelings again.)

Cheap, as I see it, is some of the hammered Chinese pot metal I've bought at HD parts counters over the years. I do like the Daymakers though.

Why would I need a new headlight bucket? It has two 1/4" holes added. Countersink the holes, buck two rivets, touch up the paint and they disappear completely. Are people incapable of working metal these days?

PS.
I am a very cool dude

Thanks for the backup Splattttttt. I got it though. I know a guy that can recommend a therapist for me!
Oh my, major meltdown!! Glad your not 'butt-hurt" At least I did not call them "weird"

PS I see you have a repair in mind for this debacle already....good move, touch up paint and rivets...it should look brand new.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:44 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Oh my, major meltdown!! Glad your not 'butt-hurt" At least I did not call them "weird"

PS I see you have a repair in mind for this debacle already....good move, touch up paint and rivets...it should look brand new.
🤘🏼💀🤘🏼

Old 01-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 382 Likes on 191 Posts

Just because you can boys, doesn't mean you should!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:25 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sticks24
Just because you can boys, doesn't mean you should!
What?

Old 01-03-2016, 03:34 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

I've drilled more than my share of holes in bikes that I later regretted. I've been saved many times by those little black flat plastic hole plugs you can buy at Lowes etc in all kinds of sizes. If you do decide to move those LEDs, you may wanna check those out. There usually in the hardware dept in those slide out boxes where they keep the strange stuff. You do have the option too of moving them to the lower fairing bolt on your forks like I mentioned before. It's the one that looks shiny on the right front fork on your avatar. I did that on my '14 FatBoy, turned out pretty good. Harley bullets have a 5/16" thread so does that hole, just be careful, some models are fine thread some course, the carb studs come with both fine and course on the same stud

Quick Reply: S-Series - Home Base