Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Series - Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

I doubt very much they would work with ABS and the new axels. Springer front ends look nostalgic and cool but if you ever rode one for any length of time, you will know why Harley went to telescopic front forks as an upgrade.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:45 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Nothing beats a springer. There are rumors that HD dropped the springer because they could not get it to work with ABS. I suspect it had more to do with cost to produce vs overall sales.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by goblue90
Went for an awesome ride this morning, but am still in the process of breaking her in. When I got back, I added the HD engine guard and some flush mount Cirius LED lights. The lights were a PITA to install as I broke 2 taps while trying to thread the mounting holes. I couldn't remove one of the taps so I ended up drilling another set of holes and angled the lights out a little. Hopefully I'll be able to complete the wiring tomorrow!

I ordered the lights today

Once they get here, I will modify the engine guard and have it powder coated. Usually, when I drop things in the morning, if the shop has a batch of gloss (or semi-gloss) black that day, it gets done by noon time.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:13 PM
goblue90
Road Master
Received 348 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by wachuko
I ordered the lights today

Once they get here, I will modify the engine guard and have it powder coated. Usually, when I drop things in the morning, if the shop has a batch of gloss (or semi-gloss) black that day, it gets done by noon time.
Nice! They're bright little lights...

Attached Thumbnails S-Series - Home Base-photo12.jpg  
Old 11-02-2015, 04:44 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Question

Something that I just realized... coming from two CVOs with the 110, I completely forgot about it.... On the big touring bikes, the 110 comes with an oil cooler... neatly installed between the front tubes.

On the Slim S and Fat Boy S, there is no oil cooler... and with all the ABS stuff between the tubes, doing something similar to what the touring bike has is not an option... I really hate the looks of the factory oil cooler for the Softail that sticks out like a brick on the left side not doing that one...

Has anyone looked for elegant/cool-looking oil cooler alternative? If I have to go the factory oil cooler route, I will, for the sake of engine life... but man I hate how it looks...

Old 11-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

Can't see the need for the oil cooler on the Softail, remember you are not pulling any where near the weight of a big loaded tour bike. I will use a good synthetic in the engine since they are better for handling heat but doubt a cooler is needed under normal conditions

Old 11-02-2015, 05:20 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Can't see the need for the oil cooler on the Softail, remember you are not pulling any where near the weight of a big loaded tour bike. I will use a good synthetic in the engine since they are better for handling heat but doubt a cooler is needed under normal conditions
I thought the same thing until today. I got stuck waiting for a train, then at the stop-light immediately after the train. The bike went into one-cylinder mode. It was 84 degrees outside (which in Savannah means it was was humid too, so it felt warmer)

Old 11-02-2015, 05:27 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SLV
I thought the same thing until today. I got stuck waiting for a train, then at the stop-light immediately after the train. The bike went into one-cylinder mode. It was 84 degrees outside (which in Savannah means it was was humid too, so it felt warmer)
Same here... meaning, I had two occasions where it went into a one cylinder mode... turning on the fans made a significant difference (I need to get the temp switch so the fans kick in automatically)...

110 come from the factory with SYN3... so we are good there with the oil.

I will get the temp switch for the fans, so I do not forget to turn them on, and leave it without a cooler for now... will monitor temps with the PowerVision...

Old 11-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

If you choose to have that feature enabled, it will come on when the ambient temp is at 80 degrees by design. It's on at the factory. Just because the system turned on by no means says your engine is way overheating. I find no need to use it under normal conditions. It gets very hot and humid here as well and I also spend a lot of time in Myrtle Beach. I shut mine off because I find it annoying most times. If you do get stuck sitting in heavy traffic for a long time, a simple twist of the wrist and its on again.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:26 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
If you choose to have that feature enabled, it will come on when the ambient temp is at 80 degrees by design. It's on at the factory. Just because the system turned on by no means says your engine is way overheating. I find no need to use it under normal conditions. It gets very hot and humid here as well and I also spend a lot of time in Myrtle Beach. I shut mine off because I find it annoying most times. If you do get stuck sitting in heavy traffic for a long time, a simple twist of the wrist and its on again.
I was not aware it worked that way...you saved me additional work. I will keep using the switch

Quick Reply: S-Series - Home Base