Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Series - Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:05 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I love those mirrors. Thanks for sharing. So if you don't mind, I'm off to get me two (:
They're hard to beat for $40.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:03 PM
mofomojo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
I keep forgetting to post the pics. Hill Country Customs bobber mirrors from Amazon. Less than $20 each, but seem to be well made. So far, so good.
Those are real nice. How's the view coverage? More/Less/Same as the stock? When I had my sporty I had to change out the stock as they were too small, but I love the size of the stock slims but the round ones fit the direction I'm going too.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:20 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mofomojo
Those are real nice. How's the view coverage? More/Less/Same as the stock? When I had my sporty I had to change out the stock as they were too small, but I love the size of the stock slims but the round ones fit the direction I'm going too.
They're 3" round lenses, so not big, but not small. The lens is about the same height as stock. I think the mirrors that Gunny bought come in a 4" diameter.

Last edited by SLV; 10-20-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:39 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SLV
They're 3" round lenses, so not big, but not small. The lens is about the same height as stock. I think the mirrors that Gunny bought come in a 4" diameter.
A few days with the new mirrors. The 3" diameter is a bit small. They're usable, but I have to adjust my vantage point to get a good view. The stock mirrors can be glanced at.

It seems the issue is that they are flat lenses without the convex shape of the stock mirrors. This causes a "Jurassic Park" effect that requires some getting used to. It will freak you out to look in the mirror and see a headlight, part of a grill and a Chevy emblem when you're used to seeing the whole car. It's like the Jurassic Park scene with the T-Rex chasing the Jeep..

I'd give them a 3.5 out of 5. The quality of the black metal pieces is actually quite good, especially for less than $40. The quality of the glass is poor. Reflective clarity is a little dull, and the flatness/small diameter isn't a great combination. I assembled them with Loctite and they have stayed put.

All in all, a 4" diameter flat lens or a convex lens of good quality would make them a real bargain.

I ordered another cheap set from BKRider that have 4" lenses. I'm hoping to swap out the heads. If not, I'll try the BKRider parts complete. If that fails, there are several chrome options that can be powder coated. Unfortunately, the market doesn't have as many retro styled mirrors in black for under $100. I refuse to pay $200+ for mirrors, even if I spend that much on a few trial and error options. It's the principal!

Last edited by SLV; 10-20-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 382 Likes on 191 Posts

Some of you guys are making this bike sound pretty bad with all the changes you have to make to it right off the top. Or you have too much money and time. I thought the bike was pretty much perfect the way it was.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:05 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Sticks24
Some of you guys are making this bike sound pretty bad with all the changes you have to make to it right off the top. Or you have too much money and time. I thought the bike was pretty much perfect the way it was.
But we have to make them unique...just like everyone else

Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by wachuko
Exactly! I dont think anyone would ever get on my Slim by mistake - thinking
it was theirs because it looked just like their bike...

T.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:10 PM
mofomojo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hardly anything that makes this bike worth the extra $$$ is getting modified by any of us.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 382 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by wachuko
I am starting to see where Harley makes its money.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:15 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 985 Posts

I am starting to see where Harley makes its money.
Motor Clothes - HD branded clothing is what "makes them money"
So called HD dealers all over the place & all they sell is the clothing
line. (thats their money-maker - or so I've been told)

T.

Quick Reply: S-Series - Home Base