Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Series - Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017 | 08:16 AM
abadley
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jhblaze1
NO...but you have to call Vance and Hines.

What they'll do is have you upload your ECM data which will be the stock tune with the 621 firmware that HD just flashed to your bike.

Then they push out a download to you which sits in one of your slots...called something like "CSM Download" or something. I don't really know what that file is, but I assume it overlays with your chosen map and makes it play nicely with the 621 firmware. I think it makes it keep just the hard starting fix from the dealer patch, without erasing the rest of your tune. You'd have to ask VH for the specifics if you're curious.

It only takes about a 5 min call with VH to do it. Just make sure you call them before trying to re map!

I did it right in the dealership parking lot.

just bring the FP3 with you when you go to pick up your bike, along w tools to remove your seat. I never bring my bike to the dealer with a tuner physically plugged into it.
Thanks for all of your information! Very helpful! One more question for you regarding the 621 firmware update. Do you have to put the factory tune back on the ECM before you take the bike in or did you leave the tune that you applied with the FP3 on when you took it in?

Old 08-10-2017 | 01:45 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Serviced the slim last weened and noticed that the manual says 2 qts of oil for fluid changes. Her bike has the 110" and the manual is for a 103.
It took 3 qts to bring it to full.

Yes, the bike was heated up to operating temps, yes, it was checked on the jiffy.

Old 08-11-2017 | 02:23 PM
CVOJOE
Road Captain

Finally took delivery of "Sheila"

Old 08-12-2017 | 06:29 AM
abadley
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CVOJOE
Finally took delivery of "Sheila"

Very nice! How do you like the D&D Low Cat? Which baffle is installed and how do you like the sound? Been looking at them for my Fat Boy S. Enjoy your new scoot!

Old 08-12-2017 | 09:03 AM
CVOJOE
Road Captain

Originally Posted by abadley
Very nice! How do you like the D&D Low Cat? Which baffle is installed and how do you like the sound? Been looking at them for my Fat Boy S. Enjoy your new scoot!
Thank you, I have the preferated wrapped baffle. I really like the sound, a very deep tight rumble and bark, without being obnoxious. I had the D&D Godzilla on my 2007 FXSTC with a 117 build and it made incredible power but IMO, was just too loud on any sustained riding. I think this is the perfect set up for me.

These new S series Softails are a blast to ride right off the showroom floor.

Old 08-13-2017 | 06:50 AM
abadley
Road Captain

Thank you, I have the preferated wrapped baffle. I really like the sound, a very deep tight rumble and bark, without being obnoxious. I had the D&D Godzilla on my 2007 FXSTC with a 117 build and it made incredible power but IMO, was just too loud on any sustained riding. I think this is the perfect set up for me.

These new S series Softails are a blast to ride right off the showroom floor.
Cool! Might be my winter project! I agree...the S series are a blast to ride in stock form!

Old 08-22-2017 | 10:59 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior

Well judging by the rumors, the Softail slim S is being dropped for 2018. Kind of makes me feel good that my 2016 slim S will be unique for the two years it was offered, and they aren't bringing out a better S for this year. Now the regular slim looks like it is getting the M8 motor, which will probably be similar in power to the 110 in the slim S. Will be interesting to see what else changes on the bike.

Old 08-22-2017 | 03:36 PM
CVOJOE
Road Captain

I know it's probably just me but I am so tickled to have this Twin Cam CVO 110 motor in my new SLIM S. The new M8 may be the best thing since sliced bread and strings on a tampon. But it's not the motor that between the sound of it and the torque rush it produces, has raised my eyebrows and made me smile over the last decade.

I got the bike I want, with the motor I want, at a really at good price...Damn...there I go smiling again...HAH... Life is good

Last edited by CVOJOE; 08-22-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2017 | 08:51 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Talking

I know it's probably just me but I am so tickled to have this Twin Cam CVO 110 motor in my new SLIM S. The new M8 may be the best thing since sliced bread and strings on a tampon. But it's not the motor that between the sound of it and the torque rush it produces, has raised my eyebrows and made me smile over the last decade.

I got the bike I want, with the motor I want, at a really at good price...Damn...there I go smiling again...HAH... Life is good
Keep repeating that to yourself and all should be good.

I am doing the same

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:48 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior

I love the improvements they have made to make Harley's a more modern bike, to compete with the competition, but I will say I bought a Harley for its lack of sophistication. I think our 16's, and 17's, mark the last of the old school looking, simple tech Harley's. This especially works great with the Army theme.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sticks24:
CVOJOE (08-23-2017), wachuko (08-23-2017)

Quick Reply: S-Series - Home Base