Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Series - Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:11 PM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wachuko
Went to the dealer on Thursday to get the recalibration campaign done. So did mine as well. Did not noticed any difference...

I will upload my FuelMoto tune tomorrow...
you shouldn't notice any difference. the 621 firmware just fixed some hard starting issues that some users were experiencing. it wasn't a totally different fuel map.

The following users liked this post:
wachuko (07-17-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

It absolutely fixed mine. It is like a different bike now. Before, it was a toss up whether the bike would start without issue, or hang during turn over before starting. Sometimes it would hang for so long that I thought it wasn't going to start. About a month of putting up with this I called local dealer and asked if there was a higher amp battery I could purchase. Service writer said the battery should be plenty to do the job. It was still happening when I took it in for the 1K service. Was told to keep the bike on the tender at all times. I am like "WTF??? I have had three other bikes that I did not have to leave on the tender"...then I get the notice in the mail for the calibration. Took it in and it is like a new bike. Starts every time like it should. Definitely worked for me.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:29 AM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

I've tuned my 16' Fat Boy with FP3, does the recalibration campaign overwrite that map and will have to remap with FP3?

Old 07-14-2017, 04:17 PM
jhblaze1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by abadley
I've tuned my 16' Fat Boy with FP3, does the recalibration campaign overwrite that map and will have to remap with FP3?

Yes. It will reflash the HD stock map. No problem though. Just call VH from the dealership parking lot before riding off.

I thought only 2017 110" bikes were affected, but I could be wrong.

They'll have you upload the current ECM info and save your (new) stock map. then they'll push a download out to you that sits in one of your slots...not sure what that even does. Then they'll have you re download your preferred map and flash. then you can go auto tune again.

It's not a big deal, but kind of a pain in the *** if you've already auto tuned your map. You'll lose it and have to re do.

You're better off just going and getting it done though bc they might just do it at your next service and not even tell you. Then you'll go out riding super lean not realizing they remapped you back to stock.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:40 PM
knitski
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
It absolutely fixed mine. It is like a different bike now. Before, it was a toss up whether the bike would start without issue, or hang during turn over before starting. Sometimes it would hang for so long that I thought it wasn't going to start. About a month of putting up with this I called local dealer and asked if there was a higher amp battery I could purchase. Service writer said the battery should be plenty to do the job. It was still happening when I took it in for the 1K service. Was told to keep the bike on the tender at all times. I am like "WTF??? I have had three other bikes that I did not have to leave on the tender"...then I get the notice in the mail for the calibration. Took it in and it is like a new bike. Starts every time like it should. Definitely worked for me.
Yes, Yes, Yes!!! Made such a difference!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:40 AM
cobra23
Road Captain
Received 524 Likes on 287 Posts

I just had the starting fix done on my 2016 Fatboy S which is tuned with the Harley race tuner.

The fix had absolutely NO impact on the tune. Nothing had to be reloaded.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:21 AM
jhblaze1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cobra23
I just had the starting fix done on my 2016 Fatboy S which is tuned with the Harley race tuner.

The fix had absolutely NO impact on the tune. Nothing had to be reloaded.
interesting. My bike was tuned with FP3 when it went in and came back out with a stock map on it. Had to re tune, no big deal.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 AM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

So stupid question...once you re tune with the FP3 are you overwriting the fix that the dealer put on? What's the point of having the dealer re-map to correct starting issues if you are overwriting that fix. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:55 PM
jhblaze1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by abadley
So stupid question...once you re tune with the FP3 are you overwriting the fix that the dealer put on? What's the point of having the dealer re-map to correct starting issues if you are overwriting that fix. Maybe I'm missing something here.

NO...but you have to call Vance and Hines.

What they'll do is have you upload your ECM data which will be the stock tune with the 621 firmware that HD just flashed to your bike.

Then they push out a download to you which sits in one of your slots...called something like "CSM Download" or something. I don't really know what that file is, but I assume it overlays with your chosen map and makes it play nicely with the 621 firmware. I think it makes it keep just the hard starting fix from the dealer patch, without erasing the rest of your tune. You'd have to ask VH for the specifics if you're curious.

It only takes about a 5 min call with VH to do it. Just make sure you call them before trying to re map!

I did it right in the dealership parking lot.

just bring the FP3 with you when you go to pick up your bike, along w tools to remove your seat. I never bring my bike to the dealer with a tuner physically plugged into it.

Last edited by jhblaze1; 07-17-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Blackriderinthewind
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gunnysgt, I've taken over a year to find exhaust setup that I would like on my 2016 vivid black slim s. What 2 into 2 brand do you have mounted here on your green slim s? They look outstanding. Also the grenade? I appreciate your feedback. Thanks brother.

Quick Reply: S-Series - Home Base