Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Series - Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:21 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 382 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_fan
No it is San Jose Harley Davidson. If I remember my conversation with the folks there they added the 117 kit on. It is sold as a brand new bike. http://www.lanesplitterhd.com/
I get it. Thanks for the info. I guess it all comes down to, how much power do we need on a bike like this? It only has one disk on the front, and is really designed for cruising. I think it has plenty of power the way it is, but I guess there is always bragging rights.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:58 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks24
Not sure I would be a fan of shortening the rear fender on the slim. The rear tire is narrow, and probably better left slightly hidden. I will have to wait to see the pics.

So far I am disappointed with Harley and there ability to supply me with accessories. My new tank is going to be 10 to 12 weeks. My swing arm bag and wind splitter windshield are still on back order after three weeks. I thought these bikes were supposed to be easy to accessorize?
Jeezzz summer will be over by that time.....That would drive me crazy I would not even want to ride the thing with the dented up tank, but that's me a bit OCD. Hope it comes sooner than latter for you.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:26 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 382 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
Jeezzz summer will be over by that time.....That would drive me crazy I would not even want to ride the thing with the dented up tank, but that's me a bit OCD. Hope it comes sooner than latter for you.
Stuff happens. I was more worried when it happened that they wouldn't make me a new one. It is on the kickstand side, so It makes it harder to see.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:09 AM
xIceHoundx
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfever
Sticks, have you seen my Slim fender? I chopped @ 6" from a Take off fender I found on Craig's. Cut down a front fender as well.
The H/D Street Bob tail light and plate were then added. Reminds me of the Bobber I had in High School, We had no wide tires to compare with back then.

I like the look, I hope these photos help you decide.

Still working on battery cover in this shot.

This is awesome. I purchased a used slim rear fender on ebay. Waiting on it to show up then I plan to have it cut back just shy of the ends of the struts. That will allow me to retain the ability to use all the aftermarket attachments and even allow me to still have a passenger. I'm not sure what i'll do about the front fender, maybe just take it off and just use a brace, maybe source out a used one and cut it up, maybe just leave the one that's on it now there. I've got to fab up some brackets to mount the stock tail lights up forward on the bike below the seat. Then figure out the wiring so that I can use those stock tail lights just as turn signal indicators and and just have the model A tail light for braking.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Center tail light plug is in there:

Originally Posted by xIceHoundx
This is awesome. I purchased a used slim rear fender on ebay. Waiting on it to show up then I plan to have it cut back just shy of the ends of the struts. That will allow me to retain the ability to use all the aftermarket attachments and even allow me to still have a passenger. I'm not sure what i'll do about the front fender, maybe just take it off and just use a brace, maybe source out a used one and cut it up, maybe just leave the one that's on it now there. I've got to fab up some brackets to mount the stock tail lights up forward on the bike below the seat. Then figure out the wiring so that I can use those stock tail lights just as turn signal indicators and and just have the model A tail light for braking.
My '13 Slim had all the hot wires (unused) for the center tail light (or your Model A lamp) under the seat in the same Deutsch plug for the OEM combined turn signal/ stop lights.

The new style Deutsch connectors are slightly larger but so very much easier to work with than the older black connectors, its so easy to get terminal wire out of these new "soft rubber" style plugs.

Here is one source, but you don't need to buy them from a H/D dealer.

I have 3 rear fenders, the stock red one, the chopped black one, and a Fatboy rear, and I fitted all 3 with Deutsch plugs for a no wire cutting/no splicing quick connect. Edit: The stock red fender needs nothing.

IMHO, The Slim needs a chopped front fender, or none with a fork brace, the front "Trailer fender" got lots of negative comments from my Harley friends. JMO :-)

IMO, I think my front fender came out a bit too small...

http://www.eharleyparts.com/cart/wir...sch_connectors

Last edited by Jetfever; 04-15-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:47 AM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Sticks, have you seen my Slim fender? I chopped @ 6" from a Take off fender I found on Craig's. Cut down a front fender as well.
The H/D Street Bob tail light and plate were then added. Reminds me of the Bobber I had in High School, We had no wide tires to compare with back then.

I like the look, I hope these photos help you decide.

Still working on battery cover in this shot.

Bike looks great, well done!!

Old 04-15-2016, 10:50 AM
xIceHoundx
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '13 Slim had all the hot wires (unused) for the center tail light (or your Model A lamp) under the seat in the same Deutsch plug for the OEM combined turn signal/ stop lights.

The new style Deutsch connectors are slightly larger but so very much easier to work with than the older black connectors, its so easy to get terminal wire out of these new "soft rubber" style plugs.

Here is one source, but you don't need to buy them from a H/D dealer.

I have 3 rear fenders, the stock red one, the chopped black one, and a Fatboy rear, and I fitted all 3 with Deutsch plugs for a no wire cutting/no splicing quick connect. Edit: The stock red fender needs nothing.

IMHO, The Slim needs a chopped front fender, or none with a fork brace, the front "Trailer fender" got lots of negative comments from my Harley friends. JMO :-)

IMO, I think my front fender came out a bit too small...

http://www.eharleyparts.com/cart/wir...sch_connectors
Thanks for this information! I'm not very electrical and wiring savvy, so I've got quite a bit of researching to figure out how I'm going to get this done up. I'm a perfectionist though so i'll take the time to get it right and make it quality. Does the connector combine the brake light and turn signals or is there any easy way to wire it up so I can just have them operate as turn signal indicators? I need to hunt down the wiring diagrams.

Yea I do agree the "trailer fender" front is a bit bulky. I really want to just go with a fork brace but wonder how bad it will be throwing up pebbles and those unfortunate moments getting stuck in wet weather.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:10 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for this information! I'm not very electrical and wiring savvy, so I've got quite a bit of researching to figure out how I'm going to get this done up. I'm a perfectionist though so i'll take the time to get it right and make it quality. Does the connector combine the brake light and turn signals or is there any easy way to wire it up so I can just have them operate as turn signal indicators? I need to hunt down the wiring diagrams.

Yea I do agree the "trailer fender" front is a bit bulky. I really want to just go with a fork brace but wonder how bad it will be throwing up pebbles and those unfortunate moments getting stuck in wet weather.
I used a volt meter to ID the (unused) center tail / light brake light wires in the Deutsch plug under the seat.

I did not change anything on the factory turn signal/ tail / brake lights, so they operate exactly the same as from the factory.

I found it a very easy mod, The Slim harness is most likely the same as a Deluxe. Don't quote me that's a guess.

The only wires cut were on the new fender to tail light, and only the very ends in order to attach the metal Deutsch pins that insert into the plugs. I used factory tail lights and wires from older bikes, so the plugs/wire ends did not match. Totally sanitary and factory looking, (not one single splice) not that anyone will ever see the work.

Front fender: There is a thread in the Softail section on riding without. I live in So Cal and have been caught in the rain a few times, my chopped front fender does an amazing job of keeping water and gravel off of me. Nothing like the Deluxe front fender though.

Last edited by Jetfever; 04-15-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:03 PM
knitski
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm picking up a black Slim S next Friday. The dealer is switching over all my accessories from my 2013 Slim. I can't wait. Of course this weekend is supposed to be absolutely awesome. It will probably turn cold and rainy again once I get it home. (No no positive thoughts positive thoughts)

Old 04-15-2016, 04:21 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 986 Posts

....snip...

In my never ending quest to form my version of a retro-modern Slim, I switched
the front "trailer" fender for a Street Stalker version. Kind of looks like a "streemlined"
or melted version of a deluxe - sort of... I also switched the rotor for a
floating EBC contour version and the caliper for one from an XR.
Here's a picture (also visible is a Cycle Electric voltage regulator)

Finally got around to working on my 'flat seat pan" mod and "no-ECM hole" fender
today too... Got to get it wrapped up since it's nice weather...

hope this helps,

T.

Quick Reply: S-Series - Home Base