Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to the guys who wear glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015 | 04:54 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I have been wearing prescription tri-focals for a few years now while riding. I have an HJC 3/4 helmet with pull down shield. I've gotten used to it. I also have two pairs of prescription goggles from Wayne Optical in York, Pa. I used to wear them exclusively but the prescription is old. They are a modular design so the lenses can be swapped out easily. Here is a link to the modular goggles.

http://flyingpigeyewear.com/storefro...products_id=82

Old 09-02-2015 | 05:06 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
I've been noticing lately that I've been getting a lot of headaches. So I decided to start wearing my prescription glasses they're not required to drive but they help a lot. I am not comfortable yet with wearing them when riding, what do you guys do you? buy prescription riding glasses? i usually wear a half helmet.
Rx Safety is a good place to get Wiley X for around $185 with an Rx. I had a cataract operation so now I don't need Rx glasses anymore.

Old 09-02-2015 | 05:03 PM
bigblock59
Tourer
Default to the guys who wear glasses?

My brother wears Oakley prescription glasses and loves his. Bend over and ask for lube. He payed $400 for his I think.

Old 09-02-2015 | 06:50 PM
Berick
Road Captain

I got my eyes corrected though lasik surgery. Best money I have ever spent.... including the bike! Had eyeglasses since grade school and got them lasered when I was 25 and have not needed anything since (and that was 17 years ago). Wear the shades you like, the helmet you like and go swimming and riding without worrying about your vision or wether the bloody things fly off!

Old 09-03-2015 | 06:32 AM
NSR
Road Captain

Another vote for WILEY X prescription glasses.

...and another vote for laser vision correction. I had PRK done this past February. I had to go that way because I was not a good candidate for LASIK - my corneas are too thin. This was the BEST thing I ever did for myself though. I should have done it YEARS ago.

I should get reading glasses, but I do perfectly fine without them. I can see better now that I ever could with glasses.

I still use WILEY X glasses when riding - the type with the foam gasket (non-scrip, natch'). I have a few different pairs of 'em. Use the elastic strap that comes with the glasses - it freakin' makes a HUGE difference.

Last edited by NSR; 09-03-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-03-2015 | 06:51 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

I've worn glasses since I was 6. Somewhere around -9 in the right eye and -10 in the left. None of the "sport" prescription glasses can handle corrective lenses that strong, so I'm forced to wear my regular glasses with clip-on sunglasses. I like half helmets, so I ride behind a windshield (full height).

I've not considered Lasik or other corrective surgery, as I've been told I'd still have to wear glasses to correct my lenticular astigmatism. At 63, I'm awaiting the inevitable cataract surgery, instead.

Without a windshield, I go with a 3/4 helmet and a bubble shield.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 09-03-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2015 | 05:17 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member

After years of glasses, I finally got smart and went with multi focal contacts.
Best money ever spent.
Glasses suck big time.
Now I can just put on any sunglasses I want, and not have to worry about prescription lenses. No more tri-focal or progressive lenses ever again.

Old 09-03-2015 | 08:58 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior

I wear bifocals. I really like the Liberty Sport sunglasses I got from my eye doctor with my prescription. I use them for riding only. I now see clearly in the distance and can look down and read what speed I'm going.

Old 09-07-2015 | 03:29 PM
Billf
Cruiser

Wiley-ax prescription glasses, sun sensored so I can wear them day or night.

Or, multi focal contact lenses with the HD PPZ (made by Wiley-X) sunglasses. These are great for reducing glare in the morning or evening when the sun is low!!

Old 09-07-2015 | 05:03 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

I have the same issue. Answer for me is a shield. I have multiple helmets but with my half I use this:
Amazon.com: Outlaw Universal 3 Snap-Button Visor with Flip-up Clear Shield - One Size: Automotive Amazon.com: Outlaw Universal 3 Snap-Button Visor with Flip-up Clear Shield - One Size: Automotive
Works great, flips up easily and only covers part of your face when down (important is you smoke...)

Quick Reply: to the guys who wear glasses?