Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frenched trim ring and Truck-lite headlamp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gommee
Thanks for the reply. I know it has the H4 plug, but some-one mentioned an adapter plate, for mounting purposes of the light. A ring for the light to seat into the bucket.
I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. I've installed the Truck Lite in a 95 Road King and a Fat Boy and no adapter was needed. The factory ring held the light in. But, the light sticks out ½ further than stock so you need either a frenched trim ring or a visor ring like I have.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Perfect, thanks Joe. I have the triple set of french rings (see sig pic). Some of the after market lights require an adapter ring to secure the light into the bucket.

I am ordering a set of lights, one for the 2014 Lo and one for an 07 Road King classic. They are cheaper to buy in sets.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Perfect, thanks Joe. I have the triple set of french rings (see sig pic). Some of the after market lights require an adapter ring to secure the light into the bucket.

I am ordering a set of lights, one for the 2014 Lo and one for an 07 Road King classic. They are cheaper to buy in sets.
I should have chimed in as well, sorry. Direct fit, no probs. HD lamp ring holds it tight and deters most of the water. They say French trim ring or Visor is the go to for housing ring, I opted to keep my visor.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
I should have chimed in as well, sorry. Direct fit, no probs. HD lamp ring holds it tight and deters most of the water. They say French trim ring or Visor is the go to for housing ring, I opted to keep my visor.
Thanks for the reply Tampa Fatboy! I plan on keeping the french trim rings, I like the way they look. My auxiliary lights are LED and the truck lite will match perfectly. I really like the harness mod that allows the auxiliary lights to be on all of the time.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:59 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many people who've had problems fitting the trim ring have just bought the wrong one for their bike. Several people I know have bought the trucklite (myself included), and ordered the right model trim ring for their bike. Without exception, they all clipped on easily without modification or brute force, and haven't worked loose or rattled. FWIW, I have a 2013 FLSTF

Old 09-15-2015, 06:30 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Thanks for the reply Tampa Fatboy! I plan on keeping the french trim rings, I like the way they look. My auxiliary lights are LED and the truck lite will match perfectly. I really like the harness mod that allows the auxiliary lights to be on all of the time.
Waiting on handlebar swap to do the auxiliary light adapter. I still get a chuckle out of not knowing the dang thngs went off at high beam. New bikes will make one look silly at times...*laffs

Originally Posted by peg20
Many people who've had problems fitting the trim ring have just bought the wrong one for their bike. Several people I know have bought the trucklite (myself included), and ordered the right model trim ring for their bike. Without exception, they all clipped on easily without modification or brute force, and haven't worked loose or rattled. FWIW, I have a 2013 FLSTF
Huh? I can see where some may make that mistake ordering online. Kind of difficult to do ordering through HD's parts site and knowing you enter your make/model/year. As for my trim ring, installed a few months prior to ordering the lamp.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:39 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Huh? I can see where some may make that mistake ordering online. Kind of difficult to do ordering through HD's parts site and knowing you enter your make/model/year.
You'd think!