Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:15 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: 07 recall

I don't think anyone's had it fixed anywhere, yet.
But I'm hoping that when anyone does they take a few pics of the before and after.
I'm curious to see what they have come up with as a fix. If its a rinky dink thing I may just say skip it and stick with thepiece of the insulated floor matting I got from the local hardware store for $.50.

BTW dmac, that's a sweet looking FB you have. That color looks nice on it.
You might consider cutting,drilling and painting a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum or thinner steel sheet metal to the samesize as theplate. Then put it behind it for support. That way you won't bend hell out of it if you accidentally catch a pant leg on one of thecorners.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

I don't think anyone's had it fixed anywhere, yet.
But I'm hoping that when anyone does they take a few pics of the before and after.
I'm curious to see what they have come up with as a fix. If its a rinky dink thing I may just say skip it and stick with thepiece of the insulated floor matting I got from the local hardware store for $.50.
agreed!

Dropped mine off Tuesday night for the 5k service. Dealer told me he won't have the recallparts until next week. When I pick it up fridayI mayput a piece of foam double stick tape to isolate the wire from the frame/tank. I'll see what the deal is. Anyone willing to take a picture and post it? I think the fix is a new battery box but not sure.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

If I get it done I WILL take a bunch of pics.
This battery shorting and cooking the oil linesis just too damn serious to ignore.
Whe I first heard about it I ran out into the garage, pulled the seat off and checked it out.
First I just stuck a piece of wood in there to keep the battery as far back as possible.
But I was in a local hardware store and noticed some of that black insulated flooring.
Stuff was 3' wide and about $4.00 a yard. I asked the guy if I could get a 4" wide piece and he gave me about 6" and only charged me $.50. Its chemically inert and an electrical insulator. So its perfect to fit in front of the battery and keep the wire/terminal away from the tank edge.
If they want to replace the battery box, I'll let them. Much less than that and I'm not going to leave it there for a couple of days just for that. I'll just stick with what I have until its time for the 5000 mile checkup, they can put it in then.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 PM
cbigbie191
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it is serious enough that the dealer told me not to ride the bike, bummer, because I just got it yesterday and put 10 miles on it, was going out for a long ride Friday, but not now. This weekend will be the first this year with good riding weather here and the bike is down.
Anyone know of a quick (safe) fix so I can ride?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: cbigbie191

I guess it is serious enough that the dealer told me not to ride the bike, bummer, because I just got it yesterday and put 10 miles on it, was going out for a long ride Friday, but not now. This weekend will be the first this year with good riding weather here and the bike is down.
Anyone know of a quick (safe) fix so I can ride?
Well I have 5000 miles on mine so I doubt yours will blow up any time soon.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

For a quick, simple and cheaptemporary fix. Just get some different sized strips of wood or plastic and pick one or a bunch that fits snugly between thebatteryand the front of the battery box.
You can use something like duct tape or electrical tape to make a thin strip or a couple of thin strips a little thicker.
The idea is to get something non-conductive in front of thebattery to keep it and especially the Positive terminal and wireaway from the tank edge.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:18 PM
cbigbie191
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a quick, simple and cheap temporary fix. Just get some different sized strips of wood or plastic and pick one or a bunch that fits snugly between the battery and the front of the battery box.
You can use something like duct tape or electrical tape to make a thin strip or a couple of thin strips a little thicker.
The idea is to get something non-conductive in front of the battery to keep it and especially the Positive terminal and wire away from the tank edge.
Thanks for the tip I will do that, I would say the chance of a problem is slim, but when the stealer said don't ride it I kind of got worried.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:20 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Like you said, the chances are slim, but personally I don't like to take chances with anything that uglyhappening. Especially if its so easy to prevent.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:22 AM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is in the shop as we speak for a "miss".

Also had a black wire in the wire bundle running down left framerail get rubbed through and was sparking against the positive battery terminal. I taped it up temporarily and zip tied the wire bundle away from the battery.

Supposed to get it picked up by a neighbor (I'm out of town) on the 4th.

Parts not available yet on the recall. The tech thought the open wire may be causing the miss, but that it could be related to the recall as well.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:45 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

For a quick, simple and cheaptemporary fix. Just get some different sized strips of wood or plastic and pick one or a bunch that fits snugly between thebatteryand the front of the battery box.
The idea is to get something non-conductive in front of thebattery to keep it and especially the Positive terminal and wireaway from the tank edge.

Exactly Citoriplus, the fix will be something that insulates the front of the battery from the oil tank. I doubt it will be a new battery box. Not enough room. The service manual tells you to run the positive wire at a 45 degree angle to the battery, to prevent it from touching the oil tank. I'm not worried about riding my bike, like you, I insulated the wires with a rubber pad.

Quick Reply: 07 recall