Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need power...quietly

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:46 AM
Kunal
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need power...quietly

Hi all

I have a 2015 fatty and desperately need some more power.

BUT

I need the quietest exhaust possible so the neighbours dont get pissed off.

I was thinking of simply put the VH FP3, V02 high flow filter and keep the stock pipes...will that give me any boost in power?

If I have to go for a full system exhaust - which would be the quietest? OR if there is nothing like a quiet full system, should I just put some Screaming Eagle slip ons (which seem pretty quiet) along with the breather and FP3.

Thanks a ton
KM

Old 08-20-2015, 08:34 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The uprated air cleaner will allow more oxygen into the cylinder, and with the FP3 you can tune that in and also adjust the AFR to give performance at the expensive of fuel "efficiency" (not necessarily economy). So yes, these alone should give you some improvement.

I'm not sure about properly quiet systems per se, but there are a number of manufacturers out there that produce exhaust systems that are highly baffled for quietness and at the flick of a switch open up for more noise and better flow-through (such as Jekyll and Hyde). I suspect these cause havoc with the EFI though as it tries to "learn" the VE of the system when it can change at the flick of a switch. As a result, I suspect they too are marketed more for their "noise" function than their performance.

You'll find you get better performance from a 2:1 system than a 2:2, and also these tend to have a deeper exhaust note so "seem" quieter. Both of which are good news for you. So if I were you, I'd start my search there.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

More power and quite?

Zero Motorcycles

Old 08-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Based on my experience and research, you won't get much gain from an air cleaner and tune. My definition of "much gain" might be different than yours. I've seen dyno results from the air cleaner at about 1-2 rwhp (the stock cleaner is not a restriction on such a small engine). Tune maybe 10 max I'd estimate if you leave stock pipes on.

If you really need more power, new cams are the best way to get it. You can get a quiet 2-1 muffler system and a necessary tune with the new cams and you'll feel that. There are a million cam threads out there. My advice is to match the cam to your planned riding style. The wrong (usually too big) cam will make your bike a poor performer from idle to 4000 rpm which is where you ride mostly.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Quiet power? You're still restricted from potential. I would suggest easin off the throttle and have the correct gear as I went thru the neighborhood.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Quiet power? You're still restricted from potential. I would suggest easin off the throttle and have the correct gear as I went thru the neighborhood.
There are quiet exhaust systems that provide increased power over stock, particularly the 2 into 1 if you're willing to live with the look (I like dual pipes).

Modern muffler designs have come a long way from the old cherry bomb days where it had to be loud to be fast. And those didn't flow all that well!

No matter what you do, it's a Harley, it's not going to be fast unless you make a drag bike out of it. I enjoy mine for what it is, and drive my 10 second car (to the track) when I want to go fast.

I do agree with you, I try to ride super quiet in my neighborhood with proper gear and throttle selection given my open pipes.

Last edited by Joe_G; 08-20-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:52 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Buy a Honda. Most of the issues are in the right hand. Be respectful and shouldn't have a problem. If your neighbors still complain then its their issue. I have a 124" and a bunch of old folks around and they barley notice the noise.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe_G
There are quiet exhaust systems that provide increased power over stock, particularly the 2 into 1 if you're willing to live with the look (I like dual pipes).

Modern muffler designs have come a long way from the old cherry bomb days where it had to be loud to be fast. And those didn't flow all that well!

No matter what you do, it's a Harley, it's not going to be fast unless you make a drag bike out of it. I enjoy mine for what it is, and drive my 10 second car (to the track) when I want to go fast.

I do agree with you, I try to ride super quiet in my neighborhood with proper gear and throttle selection given my open pipes.
Joe, I disagree. I know you mean well but that's absurd.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Buy a Honda. Most of the issues are in the right hand. Be respectful and shouldn't have a problem. If your neighbors still complain then its their issue. I have a 124" and a bunch of old folks around and they barley notice the noise.
Damn it, man...I love S&S. Think the 107 was their, 'pay attention' back in the late 90's. I cannot imagine a 124 much less tha wedge.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Joe, I disagree. I know you mean well but that's absurd.
I do always mean well. And we certainly can disagree, I disagree with friends all the time. Sometimes they are just wrong. lol

Please be more specific about what I posted that is absurd?

Quick Reply: Need power...quietly