Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need power...quietly

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I do always mean well. And we certainly can disagree, I disagree with friends all the time. Sometimes they are just wrong. lol

Please be more specific about what I posted that is absurd?
lmbo...yes, we will disagree, that's a given pekkerhead > grinz

Old 08-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You want power you need to open up the intake,heads,exhaust, Change the cams, and perhaps go up to a 107 CI kit.

Stage 1 alone won't give you much of a power increase.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Needed to add > 2 into one, whoa...did you forget the old years when we added a crossover, pretty much same thng dependin on pipe size.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 08-20-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Damn it, man...I love S&S. Think the 107 was their, 'pay attention' back in the late 90's. I cannot imagine a 124 much less tha wedge.
To be honest its very tame until you ask it not to be. It is as loud or even quieter than my previous 107". My 96" with BSS was very loud! I have yet to set off a car alarm.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
lmbo...yes, we will disagree, that's a given pekkerhead > grinz
Peckerhead?

Wow.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
To be honest its very tame until you ask it not to be. It is as loud or even quieter than my previous 107". My 96" with BSS was very loud! I have yet to set off a car alarm.
You're blessed, brother...thought about tha build and realized I couldn't see, nor had the patience to do it, anymore > lmfao

Old 08-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Peckerhead?

Wow.
lol...lighten up, brother, no sense of humor?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Valdemar
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Neighbours paid the bike with you?...
If they dont paid the bike...I dont understand because you are not free to install a exhaust in the bike.

About the power....if you really want power in a Harley Davidson, buy a vrod or more cheap a suzuki m109r.

Last edited by Valdemar; 08-20-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:21 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

OP, I am in the same position as you. Not so much for the neighbors but rather overly loud bikes are just lame.

I am going to try 2-1 supertrapp supermegs as I have heard they are a great pipe for more power without overly loud exhaust note.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:26 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
OP, I am in the same position as you. Not so much for the neighbors but rather overly loud bikes are just lame.

I am going to try 2-1 supertrapp supermegs as I have heard they are a great pipe for more power without overly loud exhaust note.
I have heard those are a good choice.

Keep in mind any exhaust isn't going to add much power.

I added wide open drag pipes to my bike and hurt performance. Loud isn't faster.

Here's a dyno sheet from S&S to prove it along with a video explaining why. Look closely at the dyno sheet and see the drag pipes underperform everywhere, particularly 2500-4000 where you ride on the highway. Even adding thumbscrews I'm not back to stock performance.

The video is worth watching too, it really explains it well.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...confirmed.html

Yesterday if someone had bet me a thumbscrew like this in my open pipes would make a performance difference I would have bet them it wouldn't.

And I would have lost my money.

1997Bagger posted up this video yesterday and I've never seen the exhaust reversion explained so well.

Drag Pipes Exhaust: Carb Jetting and Troubleshooting by S&S Cycle - YouTube

When I went from mufflers to open pipes I felt the mid range power loss. But they sounded so much better I've just dealt with it. I've been modding and racing Vettes and other cars for years, chasing tenths at the drag strip, so my butt dyno is pretty well tuned. I bought a PCIII tuner from Fuel Moto with a custom tune for my mods but it didn't do much, cut back on decel popping but fuel mileage went way down and power was the same so I took it off to get my mleage back.

This dyno result in the video opened my eyes. I feel that dip from 2500-4000, which is 60-85 mph or so. The lower dyno is the open pipes, then the thumb screw at 45 degrees, then 90 degrees, all compared to S&S mufflers. As you can see, the 90 degree thumbscrew gives back about 15 of the 20 foot lbs lost from open pipes. The video explains reversion in a fashion anyone can understand using the slinky.

Well, for $1.18 at home depot and a few minutes to install the thumb screws where baffles would go, I had little to lose.

I am amazed at the difference, for sure you can feel the 15 rwtq being given back by two silly thumb screws. This is right at highway mph on my bike, and the bike is noticeably snappier and pulls harder when passing at part throttle.

For those with open pipes, I highly recommend this mod. Best $1.18 I've ever spent on mods.

Quick Reply: Need power...quietly