Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mid controls on softail

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I made a primary locking tool to fit between the 2 sprockets from 5/16" X 1" flat bar

Attached Thumbnails mid controls on softail-image.jpeg  
Old 01-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Gaz B
Cruiser

Primary Assy removed in one piece.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:01 PM
Gaz B
Cruiser

Remove ....
battery and battery caddy
Rear fender
Oil tank

And then remove 2 x bolts securing the starter to inner primary cover.

Remove hex bolts and inner primary pulls off easily enough.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Gaz B
Cruiser

Ready to remove the existing shifter rod this weekend.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:52 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaz B
Hi,
I've been wanting to do this to my 09 FXSTC ever since seeing the kit sold by Exile.

Over the last 18 months I've been sourcing parts from eBay and bought the outer primary cover, mid controls and foot pegs.
Purchased the Exile Mount kit last month and started on the bike last weekend.

So far I have the fitted the mount kit, new rear master cylinder, and mid controls to the right side.
Had a sit on the bike and for me it is much more comfortable.

The inner primary cover is also off ready and waiting for me to drill out the resin plug which I'll be doing tomorrow.

Removing the inner primary wasn't too difficult but I was surprised how much had to be removed to access the starter motor bolts, the battery, battery caddy, rear fender and oil tank all had to be taken off!

Hopefully I'll have the Mids all done by Sunday afternoon.

That just leaves me to sort out a new brake hose and pressure switch, new kick stand and a new exhaust - I too have a V&H Twin Radius set of pipes that just won't fit with the Mids.

Think I'll get the Freedom Performance High Outlaw exhaust - just need to run the idea past the wife.
Dude, that's awesome. I have to be honest, I have put this mod on the back burner because my life got kind of shitty for a while (I'm in the process of getting divorced).

That looks bitchin, people will be scratching their heads when you ride by with mids on your sled hahaha.

Couple of questions, did you drain the transmission fluid when you mounted the master cylinder? It shouldn't have leaked much if any at all right?

What are you doing for a brake light switch? I bought one from Goodridge but I am stumped on how to install it.

As far as removing the inner primary? That's why I put the project on hold, it's such a pain in the *** to remove all the other things you have to take off just so that you can access those two starter bolts. Sucks !!!!!

Let me know about the brake light switch man.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:52 AM
Gaz B
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Alain
Dude, that's awesome. I have to be honest, I have put this mod on the back burner because my life got kind of shitty for a while (I'm in the process of getting divorced).

That looks bitchin, people will be scratching their heads when you ride by with mids on your sled hahaha.

Couple of questions, did you drain the transmission fluid when you mounted the master cylinder? It shouldn't have leaked much if any at all right?

What are you doing for a brake light switch? I bought one from Goodridge but I am stumped on how to install it.

As far as removing the inner primary? That's why I put the project on hold, it's such a pain in the *** to remove all the other things you have to take off just so that you can access those two starter bolts. Sucks !!!!!

Let me know about the brake light switch man.
Morning Alain,
I've been watching this and your other thread from the sidelines with interest and found it all very helpful so it's always good to be able to contribute and help others maybe.

To answer your questions;
1. I did drain the transmission fluid - it's due a change this winter anyhow.

2. I haven't looked at a replacement pressure switch as of yet - I'll keep
you posted. I did fit a Goodridge banjo pressure switch to the front brake
master cylinder a couple of years ago and that was very easy.

Removing the inner primary wasn't that bad, i just hadn't read the service manual process all the way through before hand (skipping the detail on the starter removal). It took me about 3 hrs all told.

Gary

Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

May as well just chuck an open belt on from exile too hey Alain

Old 01-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Morning Alain,
I've been watching this and your other thread from the sidelines with interest and found it all very helpful so it's always good to be able to contribute and help others maybe.

To answer your questions;
1. I did drain the transmission fluid - it's due a change this winter anyhow.

2. I haven't looked at a replacement pressure switch as of yet - I'll keep
you posted. I did fit a Goodridge banjo pressure switch to the front brake
master cylinder a couple of years ago and that was very easy.

Removing the inner primary wasn't that bad, i just hadn't read the service manual process all the way through before hand (skipping the detail on the starter removal). It took me about 3 hrs all told.

Gary
I'm glad I was able to motivate you through my posts man. Please let me know about the brake light switch. I'm stumped as far as to how to wire it into the stock connection.
Originally Posted by Ink83
May as well just chuck an open belt on from exile too hey Alain
Ink, you'd laugh if you only knew how many sleepless nights I've spent talking myself into spending the money on the exile open primary and then talking myself out of spending the money on it. Hahahaha

Old 01-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Gaz B
Cruiser

The Dyna gear shifter arm needs a slight modification to clear the casting when shifting gears.
Russell at Exile Cycles very kindly included a template in the Mids Mounting kit.

Attached Thumbnails mid controls on softail-img_0048.jpg   mid controls on softail-img_0159.jpg  
Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

The Dyna gear shifter arm needs a slight modification to clear the casting when shifting gears.
Russell at Exile Cycles very kindly included a template in the Mids Mounting kit.
Oh yeah? He didn't mention that to me when I bought the kit. Thanks for the heads up.

Is there any way you could make a copy of that template and mail it me ?

If you can't it's no biggie. I'm sure it won't be hard to figure out where I would need to notch that arm.

How did you do it? Dremel?

Quick Reply: mid controls on softail