Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1925 tractor seat on a Slim?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016 | 12:04 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chmelion
First ride in progress so far so good. I do think my deluxe seat is more comfortable and I may make the seat move back an inch or 2

You've got some 'splainin' to do mister.

Your bike is really really cool. The seat was the final touch that brought it into perspective for me. I love the fenders and the gold/brass touches.

Some questions though.
What is that thing strapped to your RH swingarm tube?
Where did you get the little hockey-stick things that mount t your forks/shroud and reach forward to hold whatever that is under your headlight?

The bike looks incredible, and rideable. As good as it looks, it could be used daily for actual transportation. Some custom bikes lose that ability.

The following users liked this post:
Chmelion (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016 | 12:08 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Oh. And I guess I need to know how the passenger pegs are mounted with the stock pipes.

Old 04-03-2016 | 12:47 PM
Chmelion
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SLV
Oh. And I guess I need to know how the passenger pegs are mounted with the stock pipes.

It's held by the single bolt, high temp lock tight and a couple of thick washers. I've had it on about 3 years with no issues. I added the adjustable mounts since my girlfriend is only 5'

Old 04-03-2016 | 03:21 PM
Chmelion
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SLV
You've got some 'splainin' to do mister.

Your bike is really really cool. The seat was the final touch that brought it into perspective for me. I love the fenders and the gold/brass touches.

Some questions though.
What is that thing strapped to your RH swingarm tube?
Where did you get the little hockey-stick things that mount t your forks/shroud and reach forward to hold whatever that is under your headlight?

The bike looks incredible, and rideable. As good as it looks, it could be used daily for actual transportation. Some custom bikes lose that ability.

It's been a labor of love J/K. I've done it all myself and all with hand tools outside of painting the fenders and welding up the extra holes in the rear fender.

In order to keep the Slim fender struts I ordered a 95 ish heritage rear fender from JP Cycles, cut out the front for the ECU and located and drilled all the mounting holes including the seat holes. (None of the predrilled holes worked)

The front bag support (hockey stick shaped pieces) are household friction window sliders.

Off of the swingarm is a presto fire extinguisher with a brass strip and band clamps to attach, usually people put the on the downtube, but I like how it stands out.

Old 04-03-2016 | 03:40 PM
Chmelion
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Joe_G
^^^ Bike looks great.

Your seat does look pretty far forward.
After riding for 4 hours thinking about making brackets and cutting more 1/8" steel with my tile wet saw (because I'm Polish)

I got home and realized that factory it had about 1" of adjustment, I than drilled a hole 1/2" beyond that filed it to accept the carriage bolt and flipped the spring mount 180° and poof. My kneesare no longer at a 90° angle and I've never been so comfortable.

Before, notice how close the front of the seat is to the tank

Almost 2" back

Mount slid forward

Springs in front of bolts instead of behind

Old 04-03-2016 | 07:44 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default XBones seat vs '29 Seat vs Heritage and H/ Springer seat

I have 4 seats. 3 from Craig's and Ebay, and a borrowed Bones seat. The rear Fatboy fender uses stock Deluxe struts, so when I quick change to Slim fenders, it is just 4 strut bolts and the license plate, electric plugs all match, but I digress.

I found the 'Bones seat the LEAST comfortable, and I returned it. The Similar '29 seat IS the most comfortable. This surprised me, since the extra padding on the 'Bones would appear to be an improvement. The Bones seat placed me too high as well, due to this padding. (I'm 5-11+ and 170#).

I'll post a couple photos, my '29 seat is mounted lower and farther back vs yours, and with my flush fender and battery cover, even lower when compared with your seat height above the frame/ fender. I have 2 different front seat mounts, 1 stock, 1 chopped re-welded lower. After many 100 mile rides, the stock front mount is my favorite for comfort raising the front of the seat just right.

I also have a Heritage seat, my second favorite seat for long distance trips. The H/Springer seat looks good with my less Chrome "Slimboy" but NOT nearly as comfortable as the Heritage seat. When feet are on the ground, Heritage has an advantage, the '29 seat can dig into the back of your legs. The '29 seat absorbs harsh bumps best!

YMMV.

Chopped front Bones mount.

Stock front Bones mount. Places seat perfect for me. Rear Spring base mount is from a Bones, cut down, re-welded, same for both seats.

Heritage seat, Very Comfortable.

Heritage Springer seat, just not right for me comfort wise.

The following users liked this post:
Chmelion (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016 | 07:55 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Jet fever, I say it every time. Your bike a a beaut, particularly with the trumpet exhaust and the bobber fender and 36 taillight.

I don't think your last seat is a Heritage Springer seat (97-03), as those all have the rear rail.

Heritage Springer seat (97-00 had fringe, 01-03 do not), all have the Heritage Springer basket weave flaps, the rear rail and a concho:

Yours is a Springer Classic (05-07 I think?) which is similar but not quite the same.

Old 04-03-2016 | 07:57 PM
Chmelion
Cruiser

I'm definitely down with having options. When I set up my rear fender, I used the stock struts and could swap back in the slim fenders at anytime.

I have a Deluxe seat and a springer shorty backrest which is awesome for long rides but I really like how classic the ttactor spring seat looks

Old 04-03-2016 | 08:17 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Oops, you are correct.

Thanks Joe! You are correct, the last seat is a Springer Classic seat (05-07).

Just like the one in the bottom photo! I have the matching pillon as well.

The Bobber tail light is a Harley Street Bob light from a Forum member. He sent the chrome turn signals as a plus, so I used them when I bobbed 6" or so from a Black Slim fender found locally on Craig's.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Jet fever, I say it every time. Your bike a a beaut, particularly with the trumpet exhaust and the bobber fender and 36 taillight.

I don't think your last seat is a Heritage Springer seat (97-03), as those all have the rear rail.

Heritage Springer seat (97-00 had fringe, 01-03 do not), all have the Heritage Springer basket weave flaps, the rear rail and a concho:

Yours is a Springer Classic (05-07 I think?) which is similar but not quite the same.

Old 04-03-2016 | 08:24 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Swapping rear fenders

I almost did the same as you, then I realized its much easier to swap rear fenders with the strut to frame bolts, and the Craigslist supplied Deluxe Struts and Fatboy rear fender holes line up. Front black Deluxe fender matched perfectly, even the pin stripes, no painting or drilling required.

The only part I bought new was the front chrome fender trim from an '06 Heritage to replace the word Deluxe.

Originally Posted by Chmelion
I'm definitely down with having options. When I set up my rear fender, I used the stock struts and could swap back in the slim fenders at anytime.

I have a Deluxe seat and a springer shorty backrest which is awesome for long rides but I really like how classic the ttactor spring seat looks

Quick Reply: 1925 tractor seat on a Slim?