Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help from the deluxe owners!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 08:46 PM
mklein3
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from the deluxe owners!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and, hopefully, new to Harley ownership before too long. I'm interested in the new Softail Deluxe. I'm currently riding a 450cc Honda and can't wait to get into the big bikes. I'm curious if the Deluxe owners could chime in with some pros and cons of the Deluxe that they've noticed. I know that when I go shopping, I'll easily be led astray by both the chrome and my spending problems so I'd like to hear what people that are driving this gorgeous bike think. I've read an awful lot about specs and seen a lot of pics and aftermarket work, so I'd love to hear about some of the quirks. Thanks, guys!

Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need help from the deluxe owners!

I own an '05 that I picked up about three weeks ago. In the limited time I've owned the bike I can say I like it very much. The only squawks are that while I like that it is low (since I'm only 5'6") it is easy to rub the footboards. It also, may be a little softly sprung when riding two up. I think those are minor issues. I was torn between a Deluxe and a Road King Classic and guess I made the right choice.

Mark

Old 09-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Mike05
Tourer

While flipping through the 2005 pamplet I had to stop and catch my breath when I turned to the page with the two tone black & white Deluxe. I could not get it out of my head. Then I saw the Deluxe and a Heritage Classis side by side. While the Deluxe is beautiful, I opted for the Heritage. The book price for a two tone Heritage was only $400.00 more than the Deluxe. There was no way I could install a windshield, leather bags, sissy bar and apassenger back rest for $400.00. The seat height is only 1" less on the Deluxe so that wasn't a factor. For my needs, the Heritage fit the bill.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:27 PM
billvaughn
Tourer

I absolutely enjoy riding my new Deluxe... I'm 5'10", if I was 6'3" it would probably be too cramped, but it is just right for me..I can't think of anything negative about the bike with the exception of the stock exhaust. I now have big shot longs and have bought lots of chrome extras during the last few months....Right now I'm installing a chrome swingarm. Hopefully I will be done with that tomorrow...I had to take the exhaust off to get the pivot bolt out!!!!!! Whatever you buy you'll enjoy!!!

Old 09-21-2005, 03:53 AM
whiplush
Tourer

Well I hated the tall pullback risers cause they put the bars too close and I hated the way the seat mounts to the rear fender. Risers are easy to change, no biggie there, but the way the rear seat mounts sucks if you put on an after market seat. The holes still show and you have to get a fender bib or something to cover them. I had my holes filled in recently so thats no longer an issue. I'm super **** about little things like that and I bet I complained about it to my friends till they were sick of hearing it. Like Skip says tho, "Anything can be modified". The bike is set up for short guys but it can be fixed to accomadate a taller rider. Now the only thing I'm really wishing is that Kuryakyn would make some of their Cruise Arms to fit the Deluxe floorboards. Other than that, I LOVE MY BIKE!

Old 09-21-2005, 12:57 PM
mklein3
Stage II

Thanks guys. A couple mentioned it would be best suited for shorter riders. I'm 6', any taller riders find this bike too cramped? I love the low seat, but obviously that has consequences...

Old 09-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Rinker
Stage III

Love my 06 Deluxe. Bought 1 mo ago (1300 mi). Only complaint I have is engine heat and noise (see my post of 9/20/05). Kept stock pipes which are too quiet and reduce hp.....it was a cost issue w/ me. Great ride and handles well on the highway. I like the seating position and handlebar setup. I was surprised at how well it handles the curves at a fairly good clip. Lots of great roads w/ twisties in Upstate NY to put the Deluxe through it's paces. Handled better than I expected for a cruiser. Got the security system but my ins co (State Farm) said they don't offer disc on premium.

Good luck!

Rinker

Old 09-21-2005, 03:06 PM
whiplush
Tourer

Yeah, btw I'm 6', you can make it fit.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior

I'm a die-hard Fatboy lover (that's what I ride currently and I will always have a Fatboy as my main ride), but my 2nd bike is going to be a Softail Deluxe. And our fellow forum member whiplush's bike is a perfect example of why - that bike is just awesome looking. You can't go wrong...period.

JB

Old 09-22-2005, 12:13 AM
rdrunner
Cruiser

Buy the Softail!!! I bought mine(black/white) in March and have put almost 9,000 miles on it including a round trip to Sturgis, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole and back to Providence,RI and I have to say that with an Airhawk seat pad for my 56 year old butt this ride is not only beautiful but comfortable. I have added a substantial amount of chrome and have changed the stock exhausts with the Vance&Hines Longshot HS. I also own an '03 BMW R1200clc cruiser/tourer and I got to tell you that for my 6 ft height the harley is hands down more comfortable in terms of seat and leg position. You will not be disappointed!

Quick Reply: Need help from the deluxe owners!