Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever drop a saddlebag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anyone ever drop a saddlebag?

Well I did...actually both! Retarded me was detailing my bike over the weekend and lazily placed the saddlebags on the bike without locking them in place. Monday morning rolls around, and I have forgotten about the unlocked saddlebags and ride to work. In mid-ride, I am made aware, by a cager, that my saddlebag dropped off a 100 yard back....ugh! I turn around to go grab it, enroute the other one drops off! I'm sure it would have been funny to watch. Needless to say, I don't think I will be forgetting to lock those ever again. The HD bags got some good road rash on them, but thankfully still work. Here's a question, anyone have any suggestion on a product i could use to adhere some of the peeling road rashed leather spots? If I can get the peels glued down, it could almost look good again. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:40 AM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lost one of mine last summer

Still not sure how it happened other than I was going fast up a gravel road. The Easy Bracket somehow let my expensive Hog Deluxe bag go. Didn't notice until about a half hour later. Went back and walked the gravel road for two hours in near 100 degree heat but didn't find it. The next day, rode and hour back to the spot and walked it again - no luck.

I as at a State park so on a whim, I called the ranger station and left a message. Sure enough, they found it and mailed it back priority mail. Received it later that week. And it relatively good shape. I'm the luckiest SOB ever.

My original post about this here:https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...bag-today.html

Old 07-07-2015, 01:51 AM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Late '90's in route to big rally in Iowa, Had one bag full of ice & beer (Iowa beer was of lesser alcohol content at the time). Beer/ice knocked internal latch's letting bag, beer, ice fall away. Beer cans sliding, spinning, and rolling down the highway sprouting geyser's everywhere. Found the bag fairly quick. Lid not so easily. Would have laughed at the scene but for the weak beer I would be drinking at the rally.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts

This is one of the reason I'm on the fence about getting a quick release system for my Heritage bags.

It takes me about 5 minutes to unbolt my bags.
Perhaps that's a small price to pay to prevent hours of searching for a lost bag or $$$ for repair/replacing one.

I will say, I do like my quick release tour pak mount so I certainly see why the quick release is desired.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:58 AM
Anthony Paul
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MNtadpole
Here's a question, anyone have any suggestion on a product i could use to adhere some of the peeling road rashed leather spots? If I can get the peels glued down, it could almost look good again. Thanks in advance.

http://www.boatquickcare.com/best-glue

Don't know how bad your bags are but.....Try this.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:41 AM
pipeyeti
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

had one of HD's QR bags come off on the highway. Not sure what happened I am mostly sure that I locked it down. Hit a bump on the road and seconds latter I hear it dragging by the lower support. It comes loose and is laying in the middle of the road. I pull over and am walking back to get it all the cars are going around it and just as I get to it a young girl hits it at about 70 mph and it gets stuck under her car and drug about a 1/4 mile. She pulls over freaked out that I was mad. All I could do at that point was laugh. I pulled it out from under her car made sure there was no damage to her car and sent her on her way. The bag was mangled I tossed it into the brush and went home. Within an hour I had ordered a set of heritage springer bags on ebay. They are hard mounted and I will never again use a quick release system on any bike again.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:44 AM
pipeyeti
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Tadpole I see you are in gurnee. You should go see kelly's leather in Richmond il about an hour ride from you. Bet they could fix you up, great people.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by pipeyeti
Tadpole I see you are in gurnee. You should go see kelly's leather in Richmond il about an hour ride from you. Bet they could fix you up, great people.
Hey I appreciate you looking out based on my location! I will probably look them up and give them a call. I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet...its an eye sore since I know its there...I will post a pic once I get a chance.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:45 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Heres what they look like.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:49 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Quick Reply: Anyone ever drop a saddlebag?