Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed LED tri bar taillight

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:18 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Installed LED tri bar taillight

Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I put one of the lights on my Custom and like it a lot, but wasn't too happy with the plate arrangement. I figured that every rock that fat tire kicked into the back of the tin foil plate they use here in NY would bend hell out of it. So I cut up someheavier/thicker aluminum plateand painted it black to use as a backing.

It also protects the lens from rocks and any other debris the tire might kick up.

Instead ofcutting off thethe plate mounting holes why not see if you can finda couple, or moreof thosebolts with the LED's in them. Use red onesand wire them into the brake or amber and wire them into the turn signal lines, one or more to a side?
Get a little more light for only a little bit of work.
Fill in the area between the two ends with a flat tin plate painted black, a reflector, or more LED's.

Hammer02, I know what you mean about trying to take a pic of the light with the brakes on. My digital camera kinda freaked out when i took this one after I put the light in.

And if you think its hard to get all the parts together with the light, try it with the mounting bracket for the rack some time. Getting the loose fender, the bracket, and the light all lined up at once with only two hands can be a great test ofyour manual dexterity.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

That taillight looks really great Hammer - I might do it on my Train.I'll probably keep the license plate the way it is,I'm not really into the sideways look.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:24 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: 06hog
Actually nah, just kidding, dont know if they're legal in NY, they're not DOT approved. Then again my future home state of VA might not give a hoot. Think I may get them soon anyway...
Lata
If they are not DOT approved, they will not pass inspection in NYS.
That being said most inspection stations probably won't make an issue of it.
The State Police on the other hand are notorious for being able to find even the smallest detailto hang you on if you get pulled over by a trooper who'sina badmood.
I would leave well enough alone for the moment, especially as your planning on moveing south. Better to wait and see what your 'new' state has in store for you before you spend money that may be wasted later if new state wants the bike to have its original style/sized signals before your allowed to get plates for it.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
ratzila
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey hammer can you get a pic of the turn signals on at night. I think I am going that route. The bike looks amazing[sm=hail.gif]

Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.

I don't know think this caught it at full brightness but you can at least see the size. Like I said earlier...they aren't DOT but at night they show really well....I think everyone would see it. During the day might be another story but quite frankly my experience hasn't been so great with the stockers either. I always look over my shoulder and at a stop I keep an eye behind me as traffic approaches.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:57 PM
firerider58
Cruiser

These look sweet! Quick question, this does have rear plate illumination right?? Required where I'm at, and I couldn't tell for sure in your pics. Looking at one for the Softail

Old 05-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

Yep...lights the plate up brightly.

You can't tell in the pic if it's brake light or plate light but it illuminates great.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:52 PM
firerider58
Cruiser

Thanks Hammer. This is gonna be the next new piece of bling I buy. Sure dresses up the rear end. Appreciate it.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

Zanottis has it for like 183 if I recall correctly. Much cheaper than most local dealers.

Quick Reply: Installed LED tri bar taillight