Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about fitting forward controls to Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015 | 12:47 AM
13bob
|
Tourer
Default Question about fitting forward controls to Fatboy

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to fit HD forward control kit to my 2015 Fatboy Lo with ABS.....

How difficult is it? Are there any issues with the ABS?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 07-01-2015 | 05:28 AM
peg20
Road Master

I'm interested in this too. As far as I can tell, the mounting for the brake cylinder is slotted so that you need not actually disassemble the brake system at all; just loosen a nut, slide it off and slide it onto the new controls. I haven't gone as far as hunting down a set of forwards to check myself, however.

The only other issue with the ABS that I'm aware of, is that if you do end up having to bleed the brakes, it may cause the ABS system to throw a code and whilst you might be able to just clear that, there's a chance you'll need to go to a dealership to perform some special (and suitably expensive) "magic" to make it work.

Old 07-01-2015 | 06:55 AM
13bob
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by peg20
I'm interested in this too. As far as I can tell, the mounting for the brake cylinder is slotted so that you need not actually disassemble the brake system at all; just loosen a nut, slide it off and slide it onto the new controls. I haven't gone as far as hunting down a set of forwards to check myself, however.

The only other issue with the ABS that I'm aware of, is that if you do end up having to bleed the brakes, it may cause the ABS system to throw a code and whilst you might be able to just clear that, there's a chance you'll need to go to a dealership to perform some special (and suitably expensive) "magic" to make it work.
Hey, thanks for the response.

That's great news that you don't have to disconnect the brake line when installing the forwards. But I'm confused - if you don't disconnect the brake line then why would you need to bleed the brakes?? Or do you need to bleed anyway?

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2015 | 07:02 AM
peg20
Road Master

Originally Posted by 13bob
That's great news that you don't have to disconnect the brake line when installing the forwards. But I'm confused - if you don't disconnect the brake line then why would you need to bleed the brakes?? Or do you need to bleed anyway?
I don't know for sure that you don't need to disconnect. If I did, I'd probably have bought and fitted by now if it wasn't for the cost. Not having to disconnect is what I've been led to believe, but I haven't really looked into it that hard.

If I'm right, then yes, there's no need to bleed. That was my hope. I don't like messing with brakes myself. But if I'm wrong, and you have to disconnect the hose from the cylinder, then you would need to.

Sorry to confuse.

Old 07-01-2015 | 07:03 AM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer

if you use another softail's forward controls (or harley's softail forward control conversion kit) it's much simpler and you will not have to rebleed your brakes. you basically just need swap out the mounting brackets and and reinstall the forwards the same way the the floor boards came off (just in reverse). its a very simple job.

after market forward controls are much more expensive and will require you to replace everything, and you will also need a longer brake line (so you will need to bleed the brakes) you will also need an aftermarket kickstand (because the stock one wont mount to the new forward controls).

there is a process for bleeding Harley brakes with ABS, if all goes well you wont have to go to the dealer. you can see all those details in my build thread, along with how i did my aftermarket forward controls. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...hp?p=14095852l

Last edited by ADRENALINE RUSH; 07-01-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2015 | 07:52 AM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer

Obviously the easiest option is to use stock forward controls from another softail or get Harleys conversion kit. the mounts are the same for softails 2000 and up. i decided to go a different route because of my open belt drive (open primary), I also think they look better and there more adjustable. here's what i got originally, I bolted everything up, and it worked well. they should fit, and since these are both stock parts for the softails they should work fine with extension brackets too (just make sure you get extensions for a softail with forward controls (like a blackline, night train, or breakout) because your model since yours had floor boards and the brackets are difference.

This is Harley’s kit - http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...rd-control-kit or you can look for good deals on these parts below instead of using the “Harley kit”... you might be able to find them cheap on here, ebay, craigslist...ect. here’s a list and pics of what i "was" going to use. if anyone’s interested there for sale, and will be listed in the classifieds very soon.
  • Forward control bracket (shifter side) - Harley part # 33683-07A
  • Forward control bracket (brake side) - Harley part # 42508-08HP
  • Foot brake lever – Harley part # 42515-07
  • Shift lever - Harley part # 34564-90B
  • this is the other shift lever part - hd part number 33660-07. i didn’t buy that because you should be able to use your current one, just might have to cut down the end that slides into the other shifter part if it sticks out too far.
    Only other thing you should need are the pegs (stock or aftermarket)

Old 07-01-2015 | 07:02 PM
13bob
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE RUSH
if you use another softail's forward controls (or harley's softail forward control conversion kit) it's much simpler and you will not have to rebleed your brakes. you basically just need swap out the mounting brackets and and reinstall the forwards the same way the the floor boards came off (just in reverse). its a very simple job.
Thanks for clarifying that man. That's good to know.

BTW how do you like the outlaw controls you ended up going with? What's the quality like?

Thanks

Old 07-01-2015 | 07:42 PM
bigblock59
Tourer

installation is easy. if your a taller rider i would look at aftermarket extended controls as they will be more comfortable. bleeding brakes if you have to is simple as well. at least on a bike you can operate the brake pedal and reach the bleeder screw at the same time.

Old 07-01-2015 | 07:48 PM
Wrenchy
Tourer

Just buy the brackets and pegs. I put boards on my night train by doing the same for the opposite