Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP BIKE WON'T START

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:57 PM
palaima1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP BIKE WON'T START

Help!...I stopped for gas yesterday and like a FOOL turned my petcock off...fueled up and started bike going own the road the bike started to lose power...I REMEMBERED the petcock was off reached down tuned it on and continued to ride for about 4 miles when the bike died. Got it home pulled the fuel line from the petcock and didn't get any flow from it in any position. Took the petcock out cleaned and reasembled it (*like an #$%^$ after I reassembled it I blew through it) ...reinstalled the petcock turned it on and had good flow. NOW the bike won't start. I pulled the plugs and get good spark on each. I pulled the air cleaner and get gas to the carb. Could this be a diaphram problem on the vacuum side of the petcock? How do I know if the choke is working right? The bike just sputters and occasionally backfires through the exhaust but WILL NOT START.

bob

Old 09-19-2005, 01:33 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: NEED HELP BIKE WON'T START

Sounds to me like you have a problem with the float and needle valve in the carb. You may have accidently sucked some gas demons from the bottom of the tank into the carb.

Some of the more mechanically minded folks might have a better idea though.