Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Belt Pulley Bolts broke loose...WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015 | 10:19 AM
bigalturk1
Novice
Default Bolts loosen!

I just installed a new rear tire on my 2000 Nightrain & while I was at it I checked the Sprocket bolts & some were tight, some not so tight.
Here's the cure for those aluminum wheels... Purchase "Time serts!"
They work like Heli-coils but are solid, not springy!
While your at it, buy 10 (Plus install kit) it will give you enough to do the Disc brake rotor too!
>Kits comes with short inserts, but I ordered 1-1/2" in length (7/16"- 14).

The following users liked this post:
smokyheritage (07-09-2016)
Old 06-29-2015 | 10:36 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

At how much was put in bike, did the dealer install chrome bolts? I have see a few of these on here (probably a dozen in the last few years) but they are usually from bikes that have been changed over to chrome bolts. I seriously doubt a mechanic does little more then look at locktite held fasteners. You sure do not try to turn them and there is really no need to if they are up to the face.

Not sure if you have removed a permanent loctited fastener on the footpegs, rotors or drive pulley but when done correctly, they are a real bear to get off without an impact or heat. There should be some trace of loctite at bottom of hole. Are the other's tight? If so, and are are the OEM bolts from the factory, they must have missed the loctite.

Old 06-29-2015 | 01:02 PM
Gommee
|
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
At how much was put in bike, did the dealer install chrome bolts? I have see a few of these on here (probably a dozen in the last few years) but they are usually from bikes that have been changed over to chrome bolts. I seriously doubt a mechanic does little more then look at locktite held fasteners. You sure do not try to turn them and there is really no need to if they are up to the face.

Not sure if you have removed a permanent loctited fastener on the footpegs, rotors or drive pulley but when done correctly, they are a real bear to get off without an impact or heat. There should be some trace of loctite at bottom of hole. Are the other's tight? If so, and are are the OEM bolts from the factory, they must have missed the loctite.
Not chrome bolts, still stock.

Old 06-29-2015 | 01:20 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Dealer is trying to get out of doing it under warranty, because they don't believe I checked the torque and they did not do the service ... MAJOR B.S. ... There ain't a "tech" out there that checks the torque of pulley/rotor bolts ( or for that matter, just about any of the other fasteners ) and if they did ( as others have stated) they'd have to get around the Loc-Tite factor ... It becoming a standard response, "the warranty doesn't cover that" or "they all do that" ...

Old 07-01-2015 | 06:16 PM
Gommee
|
Devil's Advocate

Got the bike back today. Quick turn around even though today is a holiday here.

All done under warranty. Bolts and pulley replaced. Broken bolts removed from rim and rim is OK. Put 100 kms on it on the way home and had it up to 130 kms/hr with no wobble or vibration.

My dealer came through with great service from the Techs and quick turn around.

Now I have to ride the hell out of it to make sure there are no issues before I go on my road trip next week. More so for my own piece of mind.

Last edited by Gommee; 07-02-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2015 | 04:16 AM
Gas Hog 1
Advanced

Nice, all's well that ends well I guess. I know I have checked mine just because of this thread.
Gary

Old 07-02-2015 | 06:03 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gommee
Got the bike back today. Quick turn around even though today is a holiday here.

All done under warranty. Bolts and pulley replaced. Broken bolts removed from rim and rim is OK. Put 100 kms on it on the way home and had it up to 130 kms/hr with no wobble or vibration.

My dealer came through with great service from the Techs and quick turn around.

Now I have to ride the hell out of it to make sure there are no issues before I go on my road trip next week. More so for my own piece of mind.

do yourself a favor and hash mark all critical fasteners. I used a med point sharpy marker and put small hash marks on bolt heads and surface that bolts are supposed to hold together. all it will take in the future is a quick glance to see if the marks still line up. if they're lined up you know they're tight.

Old 07-02-2015 | 08:42 PM
Gommee
|
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
do yourself a favor and hash mark all critical fasteners. I used a med point sharpy marker and put small hash marks on bolt heads and surface that bolts are supposed to hold together. all it will take in the future is a quick glance to see if the marks still line up. if they're lined up you know they're tight.
Good call, I will do that when I go over it top to bottom this weekend before my trip.

Old 07-02-2015 | 10:08 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member

just assume everything is OK with your bike (of any age)
Never check anything, if something comes loose , then blame someone else.

Old 07-02-2015 | 10:20 PM
RickyOrtiz84
Intermediate

Originally Posted by heybaylor
just assume everything is OK with your bike (of any age)
Never check anything, if something comes loose , then blame someone else.
So in my case would you expect those bolts to be loose with less than 500 miles on a brand new bike? I'm not very trusting person but if I buy a new bike and have it less than 2 months I don't expect all the bolts in a major component of the bike to come loose. I don't know call me crazy..

Quick Reply: Rear Belt Pulley Bolts broke loose...WTF