Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Belt Pulley Bolts broke loose...WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015 | 11:41 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1004ron
I don't believe that there's anything in the manual that calls for this re-torque and the dealer might use that admission against you.
They could argue that doing this re-torque disturbed the thread lock and this calls for new bolts seeing as these are use once only bolts.
The thread lock compound sets in the absence of air, and if disturbed goes powdery/crumbly losing its properties and locking capability.

During initial install, the thread lock compound is not set/cured and you can get correct torque settings, but once the thread lock has set, you cannot get an accurate torque value on the bolts.

Old 06-27-2015 | 11:49 AM
Gommee
|
Devil's Advocate

Critical Fastener list says to inspect belt and pulley. Since I have seen this happen before on older bikes, I made it a habit to check them every service using minimal torque specs when I had the Street Bob. At minimal specs, bolt should not move. If it does, we have an issue.

On the Lo, the bolts did not budge, so there is no way I disturbed the locTite. This part of the exercise is only meant to check the bolts to see if they have loosened up. On service intervals I have always gone with minimal torque values so that the locTite is not disturbed.

Old habits of checking every bolt, clamp, belt and screw stick with you no matter what you are servicing.

Old 06-27-2015 | 12:04 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gommee
Critical Fastener list says to inspect belt and pulley. Since I have seen this happen before on older bikes, I made it a habit to check them every service using minimal torque specs when I had the Street Bob. At minimal specs, bolt should not move. If it does, we have an issue.

On the Lo, the bolts did not budge, so there is no way I disturbed the locTite. This part of the exercise is only meant to check the bolts to see if they have loosened up. On service intervals I have always gone with minimal torque values so that the locTite is not disturbed.

Old habits of checking every bolt, clamp, belt and screw stick with you no matter what you are servicing.
I hear you, but you cannot get an accurate torque value on a Loctite'd bolt, and there's a risk of disturbing the Loctite.

Old 06-27-2015 | 12:41 PM
Mike NY
Road Master

I think I heard or read somewhere that Pulley Bolts are a one time use and should be replaced when removed and never re-torqued. Once they are torqued they are stretched.

Re-torqueing requires you loosen it first then tighten so it seems that this is a no no for Pulley Bolts.

Mike
NY

Old 06-27-2015 | 10:51 PM
Gommee
|
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by 97 dyna lowrider
**** happens things come loose things fall off they break. Sometimes you just hope nothing bad happens. It can happen to any bike there just bolts like any other.
I have to ask "ride it like you stole it" are you beating on it? I know I beat the hell out of mine from time to time
Dealer should still warranty it that's bullshit you paid for a warranty
I ride it hard like it was meat to be, but I don't beat the crap out of it. I have sunk about $35K into it including purchase price. If it was a used piece of crap I would beat the crap out of it...

I will find out Monday as to what the verdict is and hopefully when I will get it back.

Last edited by Gommee; 06-27-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2015 | 11:13 AM
RickyOrtiz84
Intermediate

Had it happen on my 2014 fat boy Lo less than 600 miles on it. They replaced pretty much the whole rear end of the bike except the fender. And it happened to me at 75mph on the freeway thank good my lady and I were safe. But it scared the hell out of me and seeing this scares me all over again hope it's not a trend for the Lo. Here is the link to my thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ing-loose.html

Last edited by RickyOrtiz84; 06-28-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2015 | 11:49 AM
Gas Hog 1
Advanced

How could anything be loose at 1200 miles..that's like a couple of good days on the hwy

Old 06-28-2015 | 05:53 PM
Racer78
Cruiser

Same thing here with the pulley bolts. Bought the bike used with aftermarket wheel sets. The rear pulley bolts backed out and rubbed the swing arm on my 3rd ride. Thought I went through the bike enough but must have missed them. The bolts had anti-sieze in the threads, zero loctite. I ran a tap down to chase the threads in the hub, fortunately looked good. Re torqued with red Loctite and was good to go. Could have been bad, these bolt are about 3" long..

Good luck with your dealer!

Cheers

Old 06-28-2015 | 06:07 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Racer78
Same thing here with the pulley bolts. Bought the bike used with aftermarket wheel sets. The rear pulley bolts backed out and rubbed the swing arm on my 3rd ride. Thought I went through the bike enough but must have missed them. The bolts had anti-sieze in the threads, zero loctite. I ran a tap down to chase the threads in the hub, fortunately looked good. Re torqued with red Loctite and was good to go. Could have been bad, these bolt are about 3" long..

Good luck with your dealer!

Cheers
That was one daft previous owner.

Old 06-28-2015 | 09:42 PM
Gommee
|
Devil's Advocate

My purpose was not to re-torque them, it was to check to see if they had loosened up.

Scares me to think that this has happened on another new Fat Boy Lo.

In the Critical Fasteners list it says to check them, it does not say to re-torque them.

I did not "re-torque" them, I used minimal torque value to see if they were tight, They did not move, so locTite was not disturbed.

This was a common occurrence on Dynas, so I got into the habit of checking to make sure they did not loosen up.

I think what burns me the most is that the dealer warranty guy was trying to find a way out of covering the damage. He did not even ask if anyone got hurt or was not concerned if this was a one time issue or was this going to happen to someone else. The Service Manager asked if I was ok and if anyone was hurt. He also said he had seen this before.

RickyOrtiz84 I am glad no-one was hurt, especially while driving on the freeway.

I count my blessings I was not doing freeway speeds when this happened. I spent most of last year recovering from Bambi jumping in front of me and totaling my Street Bob.

Last edited by Gommee; 06-28-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Belt Pulley Bolts broke loose...WTF