Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear cylinder heat shields

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015 | 02:54 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Default Heat retention

I've yet to try one and ck with a heat gun but I know that by moving the coil on the other side to mid engine there was a 20*F heat loss on the back side of the rear head, removing that obstruction to air flow. By throwing a cover on the rear head it can't but help trap heat on the rear head. JMO. I'm going to try it this summer on my Crossbones because it gets hot for sure and see how much it rises the temps.

Old 06-22-2015 | 05:19 PM
Ranfrol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Guy,s we make a product called a Crotch cooler that get,s very good reviews. Very simple to install and it has a little bigger foot print than the plastic ones. We sell a lot to Soft tail owners as burning your leg on the oil cap,and the heat from the oil tank are a big issue especially to riders that are vertically challenged.. They can also be decorated to match your bike which is a nice touch. Check us out if you have any questions give us a call. Thank you Captain Itch.
+1 Wife and I have them on our bikes, would not ride without them.

Old 06-23-2015 | 10:27 AM
tidbit1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by xlr8it
I use the Kuryakyn heat deflectors and they work great

I use that too and no problem with excess heat.

Old 06-23-2015 | 10:30 AM
slim_powers
Tourer

Another extremely happy Captain Itch Crotch Cooler user here. Got one for my Slim and I'll never ride without it now. Plus, the Captain and his wife, Isabel, are just awesome people to do business with, extremely friendly and excellent customer service!

Old 06-23-2015 | 10:46 AM
AngryJesus
Novice

I haven't ridden enough with the new pipes to have much or an opinion but the stock pipes would cook me at a stop after a long freeway jaunt. The cats in the pipes obviously don't help.

If I still need hear protection, the Captain Itch seems the way to go.

Old 06-25-2015 | 10:37 PM
Pete3323
Road Master

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Guy,s we make a product called a Crotch cooler that get,s very good reviews. Very simple to install and it has a little bigger foot print than the plastic ones. We sell a lot to Soft tail owners as burning your leg on the oil cap,and the heat from the oil tank are a big issue especially to riders that are vertically challenged.. They can also be decorated to match your bike which is a nice touch. Check us out if you have any questions give us a call. Thank you Captain Itch.
+2 on crotch cooler...it works.

Old 06-26-2015 | 08:00 AM
mo cajun
Road Captain

I have the HD's on my slim and they do help some. When it is in the 90's I still get a hot right side. That being said I still have stock pies but have new pipes on order.

Old 06-26-2015 | 09:09 AM
slim_powers
Tourer

I put a HD Sundowner seat on my Slim the other day and the tab is so short the crotch cooler doesn't work with the seat. Thankfully the seat doesn't work for me anyway, puts me up too high, so I can go back to the stock solo seat and heat-free legs.

Old 06-26-2015 | 09:28 AM
Speedy321
Advanced

Originally Posted by xlr8it
I use the Kuryakyn heat deflectors and they work great

Any signs of melting or heat affected areas on the shields?

Old 07-01-2015 | 09:05 PM
0pini0nated
Advanced

If you lurk around retailer web sites who sell Kuryakyn Reflective Saddle Shields, you're come across some unhappy ex-owners who complain that the rear hole cracks and breaks.

I bought and installed the right-side deflector ~ I threw the left-side reflector away (I didn't need it)

Several people commented that they had problems with mounting hardware punching a bolt hole in the plastic deflector. So, I installed mine with a fender washer in the rear hole position, and a larger washer in the front hole position. And I tightened them down carefully.

The deflector shield works as intended. I've used it for 3 years now, and it presses against my right thigh when I put my feet down to stop. But the "burning sensation" is gone!

Attached Thumbnails rear cylinder heat shields-front-fender-washers-800-x-600.jpg   rear cylinder heat shields-rear-fender-washers-800-x-600.jpg  

Quick Reply: rear cylinder heat shields