Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSB Breakout – Custom Paint & more Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016 | 01:59 PM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain

Although I had the privilege to have a preview of the result, I have to say it's awesome. The chromed oil tank highlights details and separates tins/frame from engine. You're almost done and the result is already stunning.
Good job my friend!

Old 06-24-2016 | 02:28 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Very nice!!! The engraving looks great!!

Old 06-24-2016 | 05:11 PM
duluth
Road Captain

Perfect. Bike looks great,love the paint and chrome,good job.

Old 01-28-2017 | 01:27 PM
EagleRay
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Custom Chin Spoiler - Ready for the riding season

Well guys, slowly spring is coming closer so I thought it might be a good idea to bump my build thread with the latest project I've run to shorten the boring hours while the bike is stored away for winter.

Just before the bike was stored away I had my dealer install a chrome inner primary cover. At the same time they replaced the stock 32T front pulley with a 30T pulley to give me some more rear wheel torque and slightly move the rpm band up, making 6th gear more usable than it is stock.

While the bike was on the lift they also did the pre-fitment of the new Thunderbike chin spoiler what turned out to be a cooperation of my mechanic, my custom paint guy and a bit of DIY....

That's what was done for the chin spoiler job:

Thunderbike Chin Spoiler "Crossfire" for Softail (Breakout) with ABS.

http://shop.thunderbike.de/en/Thunde...sfire-GFK.html

(C) by Thunderbike

Like the description says the spoiler is made of 1.5mm fiberglass and comes undrilled and unpainted. So I had my dealer do the fitment with the raw spoiler and then I picked it up for further processing.

Obviously the spoiler covers the voltage regulator that is supposed to be properly cooled by the airflow. Hence it would be a good idea to cut a venting hole into the front of the spoiler to grant this airflow. I decided to cut a shape matching the Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) theme of my bike and the emblem already represented on the rear fender and the derby/timer cover.

I drew the shape onto the front and marked some pilot holes

Then it was time to take the dremel and first roughly cut the basic shape out of the front. Then I used a dremel grinding tool and some hand files to trim the edges of the opening

Then it was time for painting. That's what the airbrush guy delivered

Of course you can't leave the front of the spoiler all open for it would collect dirt, debris and possibly water thrown up by the front tire. So I chose some silver anodized aluminum mesh to cover the opening from the inside.

I used some sealant/glue usually used to glue parts of the body-work together to attach the mesh to the inside of the spoiler

After everything was finished that's the final result

And as soon as spring is here - hopefully sometime early in March - the spoiler will go on the bike and for this season I will call it done....time to ride.

I will post some more pics once the spoiler has been mounted!

Old 01-28-2017 | 07:01 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't even like spoilers, and I think that looks amazing!
Outstanding work, sir.

The following users liked this post:
EagleRay (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017 | 12:35 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Spoiler looks great Ray, I know from cutting the vents in the Thunderbike chin spoiler on my Rocker, that it takes quite a bit of time and a steady hand to get it right...Nice job!!

EagleRay (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017 | 12:56 AM
EagleRay
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I don't even like spoilers, and I think that looks amazing!
Outstanding work, sir.
Originally Posted by Rocker B
Spoiler looks great Ray, I know from cutting the vents in the Thunderbike chin spoiler on my Rocker, that it takes quite a bit of time and a steady hand to get it right...Nice job!!
Thanks guys! Yeah, it took quite some elbow grease cutting and trimming that hole into the front. Now I can't wait to see it on the bike...

Old 01-29-2017 | 09:46 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Thanks guys! Yeah, it took quite some elbow grease cutting and trimming that hole into the front. Now I can't wait to see it on the bike...
I'll tell you, your bike has certainly turned my mindset. I keep coming back to this post to admire all you have done. It seems each time I come back I find more and more custom touches that set her off from the crowd. Keep us posted of any updates!

EagleRay (01-30-2017)
Old 03-08-2017 | 05:41 AM
EagleRay
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Last week I managed to resurrect my bike from it's winter sleep and pick it up at my dealer's. Over the winter I had some mods done, of which one is the before mentioned Thunderbike chin spoiler.

In addition I had my dealer install the 30T front pulley, which on '14 and up BOs is a direct bolt on, no need to change the belt. And bike has the chromed inner primary now to make the left side of the bike even a bit more shiny .

The 30T pulley now provides appr. 6% more rear wheel torque and also increases the overall RPMs by this relative amount, making the 6th gear more usable. Didn't have the chance for an extensive test ride yet, but I will report on this later in the Dive Ratio Upgrade thread (Sticky).

As you will notice, the spoiler is not a perfect fit. Considering the price of this part this is VERY disappointing! You would expect a better fitment. My mechanic tried hard and really did his best but could not eliminate the big gap between the upper edge of the spoiler and the frame

The parts list on page 1 will be updated!