Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Shade Tree Fab exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015 | 09:30 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Aerobatic competition flying

This vid of a fellow competition pilot gives a good feeling of what it is like to fly at a contest. Where you look and what you see is extremely important. He does have a camera on his head, so you should see the wingtip on the horizon, and of course you don't see the tail view, (If you are the pilot) but for some reason you can stay oriented watching this. The roll rate and speed are equal to the Extra.

Last edited by Jetfever; 12-26-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-26-2015 | 10:13 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Back on track: Shadetree

Ok, I am still interested in the original thread here, sorry again for the hijack.

I was looking at the Web photos, and I noticed the headers are different in these 2 similar exhaust systems.

I like the way the rear cylinder headpipe meets the the front on this system. I like the tapered muffler entrance as well

I noticed this rear headpipe looks a LOT like the Paughco system the rear pipe meets the front at closer to 90 degree angle, not as nice IMHO.I think I like the front head pipe better in this second system though :-/

So which header system does Kyle ship? Are both available?

Last edited by Jetfever; 12-26-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-26-2015 | 10:20 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

longer is better...

Old 12-26-2015 | 10:23 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Joe_G
A side benefit of the shade tree pipes is you can install a kicker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Speed-Tran...3D150974949451

Of course, you'll wear yourself out trying to kick a twin cam unless you can figure out an ignition that will allow kicking.
I live on a hill. When I leave early for a ride, I often "bump start" my Bike in second or even third gear, bike starts immediately. So why do you need to change the ignition with a kick start? Engine turns too slowly?

Thanks, Steve

Old 12-26-2015 | 10:45 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jetfever
I live on a hill. When I leave early for a ride, I often "bump start" my Bike in second or even third gear, bike starts immediately. So why do you need to change the ignition with a kick start? Engine turns too slowly?

Thanks, Steve
You barely get one compression stroke with a kicker, so you need it to fire on every single stroke. My understanding, though I haven't tested it, is that the twin cam computers will only fire when rpm reaches a certain (albeit low) threshold, to keep the bike from kicking back on the starter. I have two buddies that broke their legs kicking harleys when they kick back, by the way.

I know Evo aftermarket ignitions have a "kick" setting which fires right away, and a regular setting which waits for a certain rpm to fire to protect the starter. I know my Evo bike used to kick back on its starter a lot more frequently than my twin cam bike, and my twin cam spins more before it starts.

p.s. thanks for that last video, that pilot is encountering a lot more G's than I do drag racing! That inverted runway pass 3:30 in is just crazy, what about 20 feet off the ground????

Old 12-26-2015 | 10:54 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Correct - the way I understand it is that the TC engines must make two
complete revolutions for the ignition to "synchronize" for timing.

T.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
You barely get one compression stroke with a kicker, so you need it to fire on every single stroke. My understanding, though I haven't tested it, is that the twin cam computers will only fire when rpm reaches a certain (albeit low) threshold, to keep the bike from kicking back on the starter.....snip.....

Old 12-26-2015 | 11:14 AM
G Dub
Road Captain

OK boys, I'm going riding. I've got a lot of ideas, so I'm gonna stop by a couple places and see if they do fab or know someone who does. I'll report back after dark.

Old 12-26-2015 | 06:15 PM
G Dub
Road Captain

I didn't mean to, but I did. I lied. It was such a great day...74 and sunny. I didn't stop to check with any sources. I'm committed though. I'm on it...ya know...when...the...weather is not...uh...so nice.

Old 12-26-2015 | 09:31 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Glad you got out G.
I managed to get lost (literally) on some quiet back roads in NH for almost two hours. Temps today reached a high of 52*

Old 12-27-2015 | 07:06 AM
G Dub
Road Captain

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Glad you got out G.
I managed to get lost (literally) on some quiet back roads in NH for almost two hours. Temps today reached a high of 52*
I hear ya splattttttt. With all these beautiful, twisty roads in Georgia, we try never to roll highways. Even the old Route 66 type (US 41 is ours down here). So there's ample opportunity to get lost, and more than one occasion to run from dueling banjos.

So, funny story. My 2nds old lady wonders how we can go to a place that's an hour and a half away on the map, and take 8 hours to get there and back. So yesterday she went with us...and found out in spades.

Windy roads, washed out roads, trees down (seriously, I should have bigger bags so I can carry a chainsaw), wrong turns, a beer...maybe two, walking it off with an unplanned tour of the Booth Western Museum (amazing, cool...see pics attached, we had to beg them to take our money. Funny the reaction black leather will get ya), Talking to old guys about their bikin' days, takin' the long way home when we're already late.

OK, now back to the topic at hand...which is making our bikes even cooler, so we spend more time talkin about bikes, which allows more time for drinkin beer. But first, this commercial message. Come to Cartersville, Georgia and visit a cool western museum.

OK, not western museum, but Christmas tradition.

14' sculpture. Sharing water with a cougar.

Eagle catcher...'nuff said.

Quick Reply: Experience with Shade Tree Fab exhaust?