Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Shade Tree Fab exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015 | 05:16 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Jetfever I agree with you. You can spend thousands to get 100 rwhp on a 800 lb Harley but it's still slow. Just a little bit less slow. I just can't work the math out personally, an air cooled v twin just isn't a performance machine. Doesn't mean it's not cool.

Sound is critically important to me on my Harley too. I've got a 10 second Vette when I feel the need for speed. Not as quick as your Aprila but it'll do. :-)

And yes, a crossover is typically better for performance, nearly every car and bike comes with one. I was flat amazed to see the results of the V&H true duals above but the dyno doesn't lie.

Old 12-25-2015 | 05:45 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Need for Speed

I teach Aerobatics. I coached the Owner if this Extra 300L (he is in rear seat, I'm flying from front) to National Champion 2 years in a row. Great guy, he lets me compete in this plane as well, I learned a lot just trying to stay ahead of him.

How about a photo of your Vette?

I am doing a formation slow roll to inverted for the Camera Ship, not something you see every day.

Old 12-25-2015 | 05:51 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

WOW Jetfever now THAT is cool. My buddy the pilot took me for a ride in a Stearman, you used to be able to rent them in Washington MO believe it or not. I told him riding in a radial engine, open cockpit fabric bi-plane was like riding a Harley in the sky. Sounded like one, vibrated like one, and coincidentally they are about the same top speed!

My pics and hobby pale in comparison to yours but here's what I do for fun.

Old 12-25-2015 | 06:22 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Jet, a couple of my old race budds I still see love to rag on my couch. Karma's a bitch. But deep down they know I'm better off on my couch then what I flew on in the eghties. At least I survived long enough to have earned one (;

Old 12-26-2015 | 08:29 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain

Joe, AMAZING video. My Favorite car is a Blue Corvette rag top. American Muscle! And the SOUND of your 'Vette at redline... Wow!!! Love the burnout both inside and out. Especially inside:-)

I have attended Drag racing often (spectator) through the years, mostly Lyons, Irwindale (old days) Pomona, and Bakersfield Famoso, but I have not searched for "in cockpit" vids and yours are GREAT! I watched 'em a couple times, LOL!

As a pilot, I have to ask what the red light is for on the top speed run. Rest of gages looked in the green.

Old 12-26-2015 | 08:31 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Jet, a couple of my old race budds I still see love to rag on my couch. Karma's a bitch. But deep down they know I'm better off on my couch then what I flew on in the eghties. At least I survived long enough to have earned one (;
Splat,

I missed your message here. Sorry but I am interested in what you mean in this message, could you say it differently?

Thanks, Steve

Old 12-26-2015 | 08:50 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Stearman, Harley of the Air!

Joe, I strongly agree, Stearman is the Harley Davidson of the air. I have said so myself many times. So cool you have flown in one. The next best is the Waco, a faster plane with the same feeling to it. 2 can ride in front.

These Waco's are new, but built the exact same as the originals, with a few updates in materials. I have a part time job hopping rides in one. The one I fly has my favorite paint scheme, and Hamilton Standard metal C/S prop.

The Extra can be compared to a Formula 1 or indy car. (and my Aprilia)? I enjoy a simple loop and roll, and Scenic flight in these old ships like I do cruising around in a Harley.

Here is the outfit:

http://www.skythrills.com

Sorry for the thread hijack, Steve

Last edited by Jetfever; 12-26-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2015 | 08:55 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jetfever
Joe, AMAZING video. My Favorite car is a Blue Corvette rag top. American Muscle! And the SOUND of your 'Vette at redline... Wow!!! Love the burnout both inside and out. Especially inside:-)

I have attended Drag racing often (spectator) through the years, mostly Lyons, Irwindale (old days) Pomona, and Bakersfield Famoso, but I have not searched for "in cockpit" vids and yours are GREAT! I watched 'em a couple times, LOL!

As a pilot, I have to ask what the red light is for on the top speed run. Rest of gages looked in the green.
Thanks Jetfever! Drag racing is fun but it pales in comparison to your hobby. l

The in cockpit was a simple $20 suction mount for my iPhone, I love the way it sounds in headphones. The top speed run was a flip camera taped to my helmet.

The red light was my airbag light, I think it went on about 150 mph or so, I guess it said "you're on your own pal....". LOL

The rig and more shots of my car at that Miami mile event are here. They let us take passengers (and nobody was at the finish line on the 10,000 ft runway so I decided to hit redline in 5th gear which is 185 in my Vette with 4.10 gears and 345/30/19 29" tall tires.

I love to fly, some day perhaps I may join you in the sky.

My buddy took me up in his plane (the little one below) from VNY when I was out visiting. We got airborne and he said do you know how to fly? I said my other pilot buddy shared some theory..he said you better figure it out fast and turned the yoke over. lol I did fine with his guidance and I was obviously hooked.

G Dub sorry for the hijack, I bet you won't invite me into any more threads!

Attached Thumbnails Experience with Shade Tree Fab exhaust?-sullins-plane.jpg  
Old 12-26-2015 | 09:04 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Holy smokes Steve...thanks for sharing that!! You've provided me with some quality holiday week entertainment with those videos!

You have the dream job my friend. I hope to become a customer one day and take another ride in that Waco.... :-)

Old 12-26-2015 | 09:15 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Thanks Jetfever! Drag racing is fun but it pales in comparison to your hobby. l

The in cockpit was a simple $20 suction mount for my iPhone, I love the way it sounds in headphones. The top speed run was a flip camera taped to my helmet.

The red light was my airbag light, I think it went on about 150 mph or so, I guess it said "you're on your own pal....". LOL

The rig and more shots of my car at that Miami mile event are here. They let us take passengers (and nobody was at the finish line on the 10,000 ft runway so I decided to hit redline in 5th gear which is 185 in my Vette with 4.10 gears and 345/30/19 29" tall tires.

I love to fly, some day perhaps I may join you in the sky.

My buddy took me up in his plane (the little one below) from VNY when I was out visiting. We got airborne and he said do you know how to fly? I said my other pilot buddy shared some theory..he said you better figure it out fast and turned the yoke over. lol I did fine with his guidance and I was obviously hooked.

G Dub sorry for the hijack, I bet you won't invite me into any more threads!
No way: "Drag racing pales..." You get a better "Need for Speed" fix on the ground than going 3 times as fast in the air:-)

The last vid is Awesome.

I really like the black wheels on your car with the black roof. I have no idea why it took so many years to figure out dark wheels can look look great and go well with the trim on a car.

Nice looking Bonanza, cool you got to fly her.

Steve

Quick Reply: Experience with Shade Tree Fab exhaust?