Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Shade Tree Fab exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015 | 08:32 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

I just posted this in another thread....

Might look at Freedom Performance. Maybe a Union 2-1 system & slap
a shark tail endcap on it....

I have no idea what it'd look like with the different endcap. It might
not be long enough to look right....

good luck,

T.

Old 12-25-2015 | 09:03 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jetfever
G Dub, Thanks for the BabyDoll shot, first thing I saw with my Cup a Joe this morning:-)

Merry Christmas! Great full moon last night, perfect for walking the dogs in the hills.

I think my Spring seat mod would be awesome on your Springer.

(Harley seat, cut down and welded X Bones mount, My own under seat and fender covers):

Good luck with the exhaust. I want one as well. I like the Shadetree headers, they appear to "flow" the rear exhaust better, rather than at a 90 degree angle like the Paughco. I'm still looking...

Jetfever I've said it before and I'll say it again, your bike is awesome! I love your exhaust, looks like an old school bobber to me. Very nice.

G Dub, V-Twin makes a battery cover for the twin cams as well. When you are ready to buy from V-Twin, contact my friend sales@sickballs.com and mention me, you'll get great pricing.

Jet fever check out the video below which explains why 2 into 1 will work better when designed for such:

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Found a good video which graphically shows why 2 into 1 systems work better than single drag pipes. Something I've known, but this simple example shows how one pipe will draw exhaust out of the other pipe. This is a 4 into 1 collector but you get the idea.

I'm thinking I should weld on a reverse cone shape on my thumbscrew... lol

Header Collector Science - YouTube

https://youtu.be/NekTRPx68zs

I guess my factory head pipes are more or less 2 into 1, but I will say, the left pipe on my softail is a lot louder than the left pipe on my Road King and it was basically the same system. On the Road King 90% of the sound came out of the right pipe. Not sure why that is.

But, countering that theory, I found a good dyno test that showed V&H true duals performed better than stock 2 into 1. Go figure.

Personally, I think your exhaust looks killer and you don't see it every day. I'd keep it. But you didn't ask my opinion. LOL

Originally Posted by JBBOOKS
Today I installed V&H True Duals on my 2005 Road King Classic with 20K miles. The bike is a Stage 1 TC88 with SE Air Cleaner, K&N filter, PCIII, and V&H Ovals.

Last fall it was dyno'd but not tuned, with that exact set upand stock header pipes. It dyno'd out at 66.65 HP and 72.72 Torque. As you can see,the A/Fwas a bit fat, but for comparison purposes those numbers are solid. Dyno chart is below:

Today, after installing the True Duals (nothing else), it was dynoed at 69.20 HP with 76.20 torque.After tuning we got 73.86 HP and 77.18 torque. Numbers I am very pleased with. Chart below:

The biggest surprise was the sound! The True Duals absoultely unleash the sound of the Ovals under load. At idle, the sound is a bit deeper and more resonant, but the volume is much the same. Under load, the pipes open up and roar with a significant increase in volume and sound quality. To my ear, they soundgreat and I can't recommend them enough.

The best news was Mrs. Booksloves the new sound and volume, too!

Kudos to Aaron Miller at Miller's Motorworks, Newfield, NY for theinstall and tune.

I hope this post and these charts are of value to someone contemplating this mod.

Old 12-25-2015 | 01:34 PM
G Dub
Road Captain

G Dub, Thanks for the BabyDoll shot, first thing I saw with my Cup a Joe this morning:-)

Merry Christmas! Great full moon last night, perfect for walking the dogs in the hills.

I think my Spring seat mod would be awesome on your Springer.

(Harley seat, cut down and welded X Bones mount, My own under seat and fender covers):

Good luck with the exhaust. I want one as well. I like the Shadetree headers, they appear to "flow" the rear exhaust better, rather than at a 90 degree angle like the Paughco. I'm still looking...

Hey Jetfever...man I dig that seat setup! What is cut down on it? Is your under seat bit metal? I'm not a huge fan of the big plastic bit. I have an SEPro tuner under there, so I'm not sure what kind of room I have.

On the exhaust, I think I'm gonna see if anyone can fab the sharktail piece. Or if any HD dealers around here have any leftover stock. Or when I get to DFW I'll stop in and see Kyle in person to get a commitment to good work. I'll take orders from anyone interested before I do either.

Did I say I love Slims? Those are set up real sweet out of the box.

Old 12-25-2015 | 01:37 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

ChristoHD has a set of shark fin mufflers. He has shark fin and fan tail, not sure which he is going to use and which he is going to sell. Ask him maybe he wants to sell his.

Old 12-25-2015 | 01:42 PM
G Dub
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Joe_G
ChristoHD has a set of shark fin mufflers. He has shark fin and fan tail, not sure which he is going to use and which he is going to sell. Ask him maybe he wants to sell his.
Joe_G you are a wealth of resources! You're like a matchmaker for old school bits. I'm gonna hit up SprungDave and ChristoHD.

I'm going 2-1, so I'll only need one tip. Maybe we'll get this settled for a few of these guys if we scrounge enough.

Old 12-25-2015 | 02:55 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain

Originally Posted by G Dub
Hey Jetfever...man I dig that seat setup! What is cut down on it? Is your under seat bit metal? I'm not a huge fan of the big plastic bit. I have an SEPro tuner under there, so I'm not sure what kind of room I have.

On the exhaust, I think I'm gonna see if anyone can fab the sharktail piece. Or if any HD dealers around here have any leftover stock. Or when I get to DFW I'll stop in and see Kyle in person to get a commitment to good work. I'll take orders from anyone interested before I do either.

Did I say I love Slims? Those are set up real sweet out of the box.
Seat:
I cut down, re welded the Lower X Bones spring mounts. (More than an inch removed, if I remember). It is not absolutely necessary to cut down the front 'Bones mount, in fact I have used both, a stock front mount and my cut down front mount. Cut down front looks better as far as front of seat meeting the rear of the tank. Both mounts are comfortable.

I made my own covers out of gloss black plastic. These could easily be made of sheet aluminum and painted. Plastic against the painted fender and frame have left no marks. (Or cut my hands). I relocated my ECM to get the battery cover flat, and the FP3 does not stay on the bike.

Link with seat mount photo post #2602:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post14604424

Pipe:
I still like the Shadetree pipe best. I like how the headers are shaped in a V like the engine. I like the tapered muffler inlet. That pipe just looks good!

Old 12-25-2015 | 02:57 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by G Dub
Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks hspring03.

We're getting there. Now all we need is the shark fin tip.
Glad you got some help, sooner or later it does happen here even during the winter. hahahaha

Old 12-25-2015 | 04:12 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Pipe:
I still like the Shadetree pipe best. I like how the headers are shaped in a V like the engine. I like the tapered muffler inlet. That pipe just looks good!
I'm with you Jet! I can wait for ever.

Old 12-25-2015 | 04:26 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

A side benefit of the shade tree pipes is you can install a kicker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Speed-Tran...3D150974949451

Of course, you'll wear yourself out trying to kick a twin cam unless you can figure out an ignition that will allow kicking.

Old 12-25-2015 | 05:02 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain

Joe G, THANKS for the input, I appreciate it.

The pipes on my Bike are stock Slim headers with Paughco slip on mufflers, FP3 tuning.

And thanks for calling my bike a Bobber:-) I was told on this Forum: "You don't have a Bobber, you just bolted on some parts".

(I did chop the front and rear fenders and seat mount, mounted the Street Bob tail light myself). Maybe he is right, and the last Bobbers were built in the '50s???

Exhaust:
I think all the Softail H/D headers including these Slim pipes have a crossover if not a true 2 into 1. I'm not sure how much this helps power vs the optimum scavenge like your linked vids, but HD must think it is important, eh?

Power:
Max HP/Torque on my Harley is not nearly as important to me as perfect tractability (We used to call it carburation) and of course, sound.

I have owned some 160+HP bikes, like the Aprilia in my Sig. 1st and 2nd gear wheelie was SO EASY, just a crack of the throttle! I have since slowed down, and enjoy the relaxed cruising of my Harley these days.

Dyno:
I have traded Harley's on long rides with friends who spent big $ on Dyno tunes, Stage 1 and 2, and we can't tell the difference between the way my bike runs with FP3 tune, and their expensive Dyno tune. YMMV.

Steve

Quick Reply: Experience with Shade Tree Fab exhaust?