Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY or motorcycle shop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:58 PM
nj_nighttrain
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY or motorcycle shop?

Ok so recently sold my kawasaki zx10r and got myself a 2008 HD night train. She's completely stock so I ordered the vance and hines 2-2 big radius, screaming eagle air cleaner, power commander and big city thunder baffles. Should I take it to a shop and spend $400-$500 to install everything plus a dyno. I'm very good with mechanics and want to learn how to work on Harleys myself but just have some doubts in the back of my mind. I feel like I wouldn't have any problems installing the pipes and air cleaner. My main concern is the power commander! Does the bike need to go on a dyno?

Old 06-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome aboard dude.

If you're remotely comfortable with mechanical work you can do the job yourself, especially if you have the tools already.

As far as the dyno, yes you'll need to put it on a dyno because you are changing the breather.

I think you might be psyching yourself out don't over think the job. Those $400-$500 can get you a lot more goodies to put on that bike. Instead of spending it on labor.

Good luck.

EDIT: just realized you got a power commander. I'm pretty sure you don't have to put the bike on a dyno. If you have a lap top ( or might even be able to use your smartphone) then you can tune the bike yourself. Out of the $400 you save by doing the job yourself go and spend a few bucks on the shop manual.

Last edited by Alain; 06-08-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:08 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Do the job yourself. I installed all of the components myself. The only difference is I installed a thunder max tuner. They sent me a starter map to install in the tuner and then it self learns takes about 200 miles and many cycles for it to complete the tune. If you purchased the complete package for power commander it appears from what I've read to self adjust the tune as you ride, so I don't think you need to dyno the bike. That is the advantage of auto tuning saves money in the long run.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 PM
CajunIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Shop manual
Everything else is just unbolting and replacing with the new parts. Someone else can chime in on the power commander. I bought the power vision and complete package from fuelmoto and it was cake to install. Ran auto tune and she runs awesome.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:13 PM
CSC5150
6th Gear

Do it! It'll take a few hours, especially if it's your first time on one of these but it's fairly simple. The most difficult part (not really) will be the exhaust. Take your time and don't over tighten the 4 nuts for the exhaust flanges. Just follow the installation instructions and you'll be just fine. Also, if you're planning on doing more than just bolt on's, you might want to invest in a Service Manual as well.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:40 PM
nj_nighttrain
3rd Gear

Thanks guys I appreciate the advise! After I purchased the power commander I started to hear a lot of good things about the auto tuners 😕 but unfortunately I won't be able to exchange it for the auto tuner. I know the power commander I have isn't a self tuner as it eliminates the o2 sensors, so im going to install the exhaust and air cleaner myself with the help of my co-worker and do my best to get a map running on the power commander. Thanks again guys!