Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My clutch cable is crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My clutch cable is crazy

So I've been running my clutch cable unattached to the frame down tube since I installed my clip on handle bars.

Today I decided to try to clamp it to the frame by using a zip tie that came with the clutch cable when I bought it. After I had the clutch cable tied to the frame I noticed that the clutch lever now had a lot of slack in it that wasn't there before.

What's that all about ?

I ended up taking the zip tie off and leaving the cable hang free. Then I noticed that the play in the lever was still there and the free play where the cable goes into the clutch housing was more than before I attached the clutch cave to the frame.

I had to re-adjust the cable and take the free play out of it. Now that I did that the clutch engages a lot later than it used to. Before all this the clutch would engage as soon as I would let the lever out, now I have to let the lever out half way to get the clutch to engage.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what that was about though. Any one have any idea?

Last edited by Alain; 06-07-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts
Old 06-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

I knew about that. I did that over the winter while I was installing my new bars.

I just don't know how the point where the clutch engages and the free play on the clutch cable changed on me from just securing the clutch cable to the frame.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 578 Likes on 418 Posts

The outer sheath of the cable wasn't seated in the adjuster. When you tried to secure it to the downtube, you lined things up so the outer sheath fully seated into the adjuster, resulting in the extra slack.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hammz
The outer sheath of the cable wasn't seated in the adjuster. When you tried to secure it to the downtube, you lined things up so the outer sheath fully seated into the adjuster, resulting in the extra slack.
That's the only possible explanation I could come up with. That explains the extra play in the cable.

But what about the change in the position of the lever where the clutch engages.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:34 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,583 Likes on 3,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Alain

I had to re-adjust the cable and take the free play out of it. Now that I did that the clutch engages a lot later than it used to. Before all this the clutch would engage as soon as I would let the lever out, now I have to let the lever out half way to get the clutch to engage.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what that was about though. Any one have any idea?
It doesn't take much to move a friction zone in lever travel. Check your allen threaded rod behind your derby cover to be sure it's at spec. Loosen your cable before you do this.