Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Wheels Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015 | 01:07 PM
ClassicallySprung05
|
Advanced
Default Springer Wheels Question

Hey guys,

Got myself a 05 Springer Classic that has the smooth profile laced wheel option. I really like the look of black powdercoated wheels and hubs.

I don't possess, either the skills or the tools, for truing and lacing wheels. Local shop wants several hundred per wheel plus cost of powdercoating for the whole process. I understand tearing down and relacing/truing wheels is a labor intensive process but damn thats expensive.

New spokes and nipples would save some labor as I could just cut out the existing spokes versus breaking everything down nice and neat.New spokes probably isnt a bad idea, plus it provides the opportunity to go stainless. Problem with that im having difficulty with spokes that jive with the smooth wheels.

Looking for other options.

I don't care for plasti-dipping wheels, as the gloss black is more the look i'm going for.

I thought about a slim rear wheel(or the like) and a crossbones front, but those are the new axle size vs. my old one. Any possibilities of retrofitting? Other wheel options? Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-02-2015 | 03:08 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ClassicallySprung05
Hey guys,

Got myself a 05 Springer Classic that has the smooth profile laced wheel option. I really like the look of black powdercoated wheels and hubs.

I don't possess, either the skills or the tools, for truing and lacing wheels. Local shop wants several hundred per wheel plus cost of powdercoating for the whole process. I understand tearing down and relacing/truing wheels is a labor intensive process but damn thats expensive.

New spokes and nipples would save some labor as I could just cut out the existing spokes versus breaking everything down nice and neat.New spokes probably isnt a bad idea, plus it provides the opportunity to go stainless. Problem with that im having difficulty with spokes that jive with the smooth wheels.

Looking for other options.

I don't care for plasti-dipping wheels, as the gloss black is more the look i'm going for.

I thought about a slim rear wheel(or the like) and a crossbones front, but those are the new axle size vs. my old one. Any possibilities of retrofitting? Other wheel options? Thanks for any advice.
The bearing can be changed out to match your axle. The thing you need to look at if getting different wheels is the springer uses a different front wheel (hub). At least the standard FXSTS does, not sure on the FLSTS.

Old 06-02-2015 | 04:11 PM
ClassicallySprung05
|
Advanced

Ya, thats why I thought the Springer Crossbones front wheel would work for the front, then a slim or a blackline, possibly a 48, rear wheel.

But I dont know if the offset on the front hub is the same on all FL springers or not. Is their a resource to look that up?

Old 06-02-2015 | 04:33 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Could check with some of the guys who sell wheels on here. Also FYI newer Wide Glides have black profile wheels also.

Old 06-02-2015 | 08:24 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ClassicallySprung05
Ya, thats why I thought the Springer Crossbones front wheel would work for the front, then a slim or a blackline, possibly a 48, rear wheel.

But I dont know if the offset on the front hub is the same on all FL springers or not. Is their a resource to look that up?

FYI...offset for Chrome alunminum profile laced rim (on your Springer) and steel laced rims are different. That makes them not interchangeable.

Don't have an '05 Softail shop manual but have an '06 and the information is on page 2-33. It is both detailed, illustrated and covers models you are inquiring about.

Old 06-02-2015 | 09:31 PM
ClassicallySprung05
|
Advanced

Interesting, thanks for the info panz!

Old 06-04-2015 | 01:07 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

I dicked around with different wheels on my night train before I finally pulled the trigger on a wheel package. expensive, but for me worth it.

My only advice is buy what you want, and do it right the first time. Even if it costs more. Just be happy. Then you don't **** away money and still not 100% happy...