Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 11:43 AM
InTheWindWithHim
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help?

Hey everyone! I'm new on the board so first I just want to say Hello. Secondly, I'm looking for some facts and opinions from those of you who know Harleys inside and out. My most recent bike was an 03 Kawi Mean Streak. While it was a great bike and fun to ride, I'm now looking at buying a Harley. Problem is, I don't know enough about which ones to stay away from and what years are better than others. I have the opportunity to get a tough 94 Heritage. What can you all tell me about the 94 Heritages? Pros and cons? I don't remember what year Harley made the major changes to their engine lineup, etc. Any help you guys can give, both fact and opinion, would be GREATLY appreciated! Ride on!

Ryan

Old 09-18-2005, 03:05 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: A little help?

Ryan,

The Softail(Heritage, etc) line changed dramatically in 2000. That's when the twin cam engine with counter balancers went in.

I personally would not want any Softail with a rigid mounted engine that was not counterbalanced. They just have too much viberation for my taste. Some people are not affected.

There is nothing wrong with a 94 Heritage other than the fact that they viberate way too much for me. I am not aware of any mechincal issues with them.

Regards,

Bill

Old 09-18-2005, 03:28 PM
softtail3005
Former Sponsor

I have a 94FXSTC which is basically in the same family. I have been riding it for over 10 years and would not think of getting rid of it. It is a great bike, most of the guys I ride with have newer bikes with the 88 twin. I have tried a 2005 Heritage and 2001 Deuce and to be honest do not notice that much of a difference in the vibration, between the Twin and the EVO. The only problem I have encountered is recently I have acquired an oil leak in the lower cylinder gasket, no real big deal after 10 years.

Old 09-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Pat
Road Master

You should not have any problems with the bike if it's been used regularly and properly maintained. Mine (a 1988 softail) had been sitting for years when I got it and I've had problems with leaking gaskets. That was reflected in the negotiated purchase price. As far as the vibration issue goes it's not bad, but that is a matter of personal opinion. It's not worse than the 1978 rigid mount 500 single I have. Just remember that torque wrenches and blue locktite are your best friends.

Have fun, enjoy, stay safe.

Pat

Old 09-19-2005, 12:54 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts

The '94 Evos were good ones. Watch out for '88 through early '90 models as there were some porous cases. Lots of good indy shops up your way. I get up there for a work related school now and then. Usually manage to make the rounds of the shops and pick up a few goodies. I especially like the Freedom Cycles shop.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:49 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 149 Likes on 42 Posts

For the most part the evo's had some problems with the cylinder base gaskets weeping or even breaking on ocasion. They were like a thin paper gasket as compared to the "O" rings of the twin cams. The rocker box gaskets were a weak point also, other than that , they were great motors.Clean out the lifter screen which is under the big screw head over the oil pump. They tend to accumulate sludge in there which restricts oil to the upper end.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
InTheWindWithHim
Stage III

Wow, great info so far... thanks guys and keep it coming!

So, after reading these replies, now my question is if I should be worried about the low miles on this bike. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I'm sure I could fix a lot of problems myself but the bike only has 11K on it. Am I going to run into significant leaks?

Old 09-19-2005, 09:48 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts

Can you ride the bike? Or have the owner ride it while you follow? Go about 50 miles, preferably at highway speeds. Stop the bike and look for leaks. As TC sed, base gaskets are weak. Easily replaced with new and better gaskets; same for rocker boxes, too.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:44 PM
softtail3005
Former Sponsor

My cylinder base gasket only leaks for the first couple of minutes after starting the engine then as the engine heats and expands it stops, so you might want to check it cold too. I just purchased the Screaming Eagle High Performance Top End Gasket Kit, which is the improved Harley version of all the required gaskets, cost was only $65.00 with discount. Several other companies make improved gaskets also. Another thought, as I mentioned in my earlier post it took over 10 years for a leak to appear, and many EVO's do not ever leak.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:57 PM
InTheWindWithHim
Stage III

I was hoping to ride the bike the other day when I went over to check it out but he's had it sitting for about six months. It was covered in dust & the battery was dead. He's now out of town until late next week but said he'd get a new battery when he got back and clean it up and let me take it for a little while. I'm anxious to see how it feels/rides and I'll definitely look for the leaks early and after I've ridden a while. I'm hoping to ride it for a full day and maybe put a couple hundred miles or so on it to really get a feel for the bike. It's good to know that there are better gaskets on the market now and I shouldn't have any problem doing the work myself if it's not extrememly complicated. Are there any other problems that may come up with the bike being ridden so infrequently? Thanks again for all the info. How many miles a year do you guys ride?

Quick Reply: A little help?