Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feuling cam kit, installation cost question for softail slim.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015 | 12:50 PM
NJSLIM
|
Intermediate
Default Feuling cam kit, installation cost question for softail slim.

Hey everyone,

I've been contemplating on the idea of installing a set of cams into my 2012 softail slim. Right now I currently have a set of Vance and Hines pipes, screaming eagle air cleaner and the bike was dyno tuned using the SERT.

I currently don't have the time to do the install myself as I am busy with work. So I gave my local shop a phone call the other day and he said that he had great experiences with the Feuling cam kits in the 103 motor.

He gave me a quote for just bolting in the 543 cams, and dyno tune for $1,200

Then he gave me the option of installing Feuling's cam kit
(Kits include: FEULING High Volume Oil pump, High Flow Camplate, REAPER Series Camshafts, Hydraulic Roller Lifters, Fast Install Pushrods, Timken cam bearings, Gaskets, O-rings and ARP fasteners & hardware) which is $1,595 by itself, and with labor and dyno tune it would run me $2,350

So my 2 questions are:

Are the Feuling cam kits worth the price?

Are his quotes around average or too expensive?

Thank you!

Old 06-01-2015 | 01:02 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Just my opinion but I would go with the S&S plate and pump. Also my opinion that with everything ive seen the newer bikes do just fine with the OEM plate and pump but if you want to replace them id go S&S.

http://www.sscycle.com/go-fast-showc...and-cam-plate/

Not that hard of a job if your handy with tools.

Old 06-01-2015 | 01:15 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

Is your crank runout too high for gear cams?

Old 06-01-2015 | 02:36 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

You won't notice any difference for the money.
You have a high volume pump, for that can the plate you have is fine.
If I was wanting to spend the extra money do it on the heads.

Old 06-01-2015 | 02:40 PM
NJSLIM
|
Intermediate

Thank you for the quick replies!

Old 06-01-2015 | 05:45 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

One of my winter projects for this year is to upgrade to an S&S 570 gear drive cams and a smaller compensator, of which brand I've yet to decide on.
Maybe some head work the following year. For the bike too.

Old 06-01-2015 | 07:24 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

This doesn't answer your question but before you spend $2,000-$2400, ask yourself why you really want new cams.

Are you drag racing the bike where it'll matter on the time slip?

Do you street race the bike against other stock Harleys?

I don't want to sound like a smart a$$, and you're talking to a guy who's spent tens of thousands souping up his Vettes for the drag strip, but I'm sorry to say big cam or not, a 13 second Harley just isn't fast. Unless you're getting a time slip, your butt dyno is going to get used to the additional power pretty quickly, and ask yourself honestly, how often does your tach see 4000 rpm plus (where the cams really come alive). And most cams will lose a little down low unless you add compression while you are at it.

If it's the sound you are after, I completely understand that. I personally idled mine down a little and run straight pipes to get better sound (still not as good as my old Evo) for a lot less $$.

To answer your question, the $1200 for install and dyno tune sounds pretty fair to me. The dynos are usually $400-$500 (gotta pay for that dyno and tuner investment) leaving $700-$800 for the install, or a day's work depending upon his labor rate. I like to support a local shop and if they give good service I don't try to take a few dimes off the man's dinner table.

Old 06-01-2015 | 07:58 PM
NJSLIM
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe_G
This doesn't answer your question but before you spend $2,000-$2400, ask yourself why you really want new cams.

Are you drag racing the bike where it'll matter on the time slip?

Do you street race the bike against other stock Harleys?

I don't want to sound like a smart a$$, and you're talking to a guy who's spent tens of thousands souping up his Vettes for the drag strip, but I'm sorry to say big cam or not, a 13 second Harley just isn't fast. Unless you're getting a time slip, your butt dyno is going to get used to the additional power pretty quickly, and ask yourself honestly, how often does your tach see 4000 rpm plus (where the cams really come alive). And most cams will lose a little down low unless you add compression while you are at it.

If it's the sound you are after, I completely understand that. I personally idled mine down a little and run straight pipes to get better sound (still not as good as my old Evo) for a lot less $$.

To answer your question, the $1200 for install and dyno tune sounds pretty fair to me. The dynos are usually $400-$500 (gotta pay for that dyno and tuner investment) leaving $700-$800 for the install, or a day's work depending upon his labor rate. I like to support a local shop and if they give good service I don't try to take a few dimes off the man's dinner table.
Thanks for your input bro, and honestly I just want a little more power, and I love the way they sound with a cam. Mine is currently straight piped too. If I really cared about speed I would just buy a r1. To me, nothing beats the sound, and look of a Harley.

Old 06-01-2015 | 08:03 PM
NJSLIM
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by splattttttt
One of my winter projects for this year is to upgrade to an S&S 570 gear drive cams and a smaller compensator, of which brand I've yet to decide on.
Maybe some head work the following year. For the bike too.
What made you choose that cam? Only reason I ask is because there's so many so I would just like to know. I've been researching and it seems like there's an endless amount of options. My local shop had a relationship with the oringinal owner of Feuling before he passed, so I can see why he likes them. I currently ride between 2,500-3,500 rps when I'm just cruising, but with the boys it goes from 3,000-4,500 haha. That's why I'm looking for something with a decent power curve through low, mid, and high. Not really looking for something that just focuses on low, or just high...I want something well rounded.

Old 06-01-2015 | 08:03 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by NJSLIM
Thanks for your input bro, and honestly I just want a little more power, and I love the way they sound with a cam. Mine is currently straight piped too. If I really cared about speed I would just buy a r1. To me, nothing beats the sound, and look of a Harley.
Agree 100% with that.

You might just try idling it down to 850-900 and see if that gets you what you need. It did for me.

Oh and by the way, if you do race someone...just go to redline at each shift and you'll beat a lot of faster bikes...lots of riders short shift o noticed! Lol drag racers never short shift.

Check out the difference lower idle makes.

http://youtu.be/fCoF9NcW5zE

Quick Reply: Feuling cam kit, installation cost question for softail slim.