Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Issues? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015 | 09:14 PM
papa_j
|
Cruiser

Ok.....so I agree....I'll claim my place as the dumb@$$ here. It was kinked. Now in trying to install this oem hose....how do I get it on? Any tips or tricks? Ends are VERY tight! Literally took some skin off trying to get this thing on. So any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-15-2015 | 06:24 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by papa_j
Ok.....so I agree....I'll claim my place as the dumb@$$ here. It was kinked. Now in trying to install this oem hose....how do I get it on? Any tips or tricks? Ends are VERY tight! Literally took some skin off trying to get this thing on. So any advice here would be greatly appreciated!
I would try warming the ends with a good hair dryer, but others may be along with alternate suggestions.

Old 07-15-2015 | 07:45 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Put the hose in boiling water for a few minutes.

Old 07-17-2015 | 12:36 AM
papa_j
|
Cruiser

I would have never thought to use boiling water. Worked great! Submerged hose for 2 minutes, pulled it out, slid right on. When it cooled back down, was very snug again on fittings. Great tip. Thanks. Unfortunately weather here has been right and wrong, but hoping this is the end to this headache! Just waiting to get her on the road and open her up to find out. I do have one other question though. I was told I shouldn't use worm clamps on this oem hose. Anyone one know if this is a problem or not? Was all I had at the time and was told after install.

Old 07-17-2015 | 08:58 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

I would have never thought to use boiling water. Worked great! Submerged hose for 2 minutes, pulled it out, slid right on. When it cooled back down, was very snug again on fittings. Great tip. Thanks. Unfortunately weather here has been right and wrong, but hoping this is the end to this headache! Just waiting to get her on the road and open her up to find out. I do have one other question though. I was told I shouldn't use worm clamps on this oem hose. Anyone one know if this is a problem or not? Was all I had at the time and was told after install.
IMHO I don't want to open my tank any more than I have to. I think that HD decided on the crimp style clamps vs. worm gear clamps just to keep the clamp from getting over-tightened and to save space in what are very close quarters. Worm gear clamps also tend to distort the hose that they are clamping, especially when they get over-tightened which most people would tend to do when using them on an EFI system thinking this would be better. I think the integrity of the hose will have an effect upon how long they last.

However, to my knowledge worm gear clamps are NOT suggested for ANY EFI installation because of the fuel pressure that is required. I think that due the type of hose that HD is using, plus the fact that they are so tight on the fittings, it would probably be ok for worm gear clamps but like I said... the fewer times I get in the tank the better I feel ...

Old 07-17-2015 | 09:05 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

My research on this forum indicated that folks had no problems with worm clamps. I have been running them for a year now with no problems.

Old 07-17-2015 | 08:59 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe_G
My research on this forum indicated that folks had no problems with worm clamps. I have been running them for a year now with no problems.
The important thing is using the right size clamp.

Old 07-18-2015 | 02:34 AM
papa_j
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Storming again today! One day I'll get to take her for a ride!

Old 07-24-2015 | 06:58 PM
bulldogeh
5th Gear
Default replace the gasket

You should replace the tank gasket and the screws every time, ya I know worked for me right well this is what happens when you don't. By the way the HD clamps are 75 cents each. The screws have teflon seats attached to seal the gas in.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump Issues? HELP-20150510_092650.jpg  
Old 07-27-2015 | 08:42 AM
jakazz
Road Captain

you need to bench test the fuel pump assembly, there is a relief valve and also a regulator in there. I thought it was my hose but ended up being the regulator. The regulators have been known to crack from time to time, mine was pissing when bench tested

you can also rig up a pressure gauge setup that goes in between the tank and injectors, I bought a replacement fuel line from tank to injector and cut into my old one with a gauge and release valve. mine was running shitty at 40 psi, replaced regulator and was running at over 60

EFI can be a real bitch if you cant bench test everything

Last edited by jakazz; 07-27-2015 at 08:46 AM.