Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Issues? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015 | 01:46 PM
bigblock59
Tourer

Have you tried a different gas cap? If the cap on your bike isn't venting it's creating a vacuum inside your tank. Drive your bike with the cap loose or off and see if you have any problems.

Old 06-23-2015 | 10:18 PM
papa_j
|
Cruiser

So i found a blown fuse. On the cover it lists it as "P and A"? Little 10amp fuse. Replaced it. Still nothing. Unplugged ecm fuse for 15 mins. Nada. Got power going up to the tank. So it looks like I'm gonna have to replace fuel pump. Haven't pulled it yet, but did do all the other options suggested. I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-24-2015 | 05:23 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

It's suspicious to me that you fixed the hose then the pump goes bad? You seldom hear of these pumps going bad I'm wondering if you pinched a wire under the pump cover by mistake when you closed it up. I'd check for busted wires before I bought a new pump. Easy enough to pull the pump now that you know the trick. I've reused my bolts and gasket a few times with no problem btw.

Old 06-24-2015 | 07:40 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by papa_j
So i found a blown fuse. On the cover it lists it as "P and A"? Little 10amp fuse. Replaced it. Still nothing. Unplugged ecm fuse for 15 mins. Nada. Got power going up to the tank. So it looks like I'm gonna have to replace fuel pump. Haven't pulled it yet, but did do all the other options suggested. I'll keep you posted.
OK. I believe the ECM controls the pump through a relay (it does on mine). If you have power to the pump then whatever it is, the issue is in the tank more than likely. The P&A fuse is primarily for touring bikes... it powers accessories and is usually empty on other bikes. If you hook up driving lights, they are on that circuit for example. It depends upon what is on your eglide. You may have not been aware of what wasn't working I suppose.

If you had a 'blown' fuse in that slot I would have some concerns as to who has been fooling with the bike's wiring... which brings forward other concerns. If you didn't fail the fuel pressure bleed down test you didn't have had a leak in the hose... replacing a fuel pump using HD parts is not a cheap adventure... and you can't return it if it wasn't the problem.

You can pull the pump and bench test it... but if it runs, don't let it run for long and watch out for spray. These are HIGH PRESSURE systems, not a 350 carbureted chevy.

There is no fuel pressure sensor on a Harley... so a bike will run even when the pressure is low... until it starts having problems starting or accelerating. Once the pressure starts dropping getting stranded with no pressure is only a matter of time. You can hope that this is your issue that you found somewhere near where your bike is usually parked .

As to the fuel gauge and the pump on the same circuit, mine has four wires and two circuits. One for the pump and one for the fuel level sending unit... because of the ECM control and so they are on two different circuits I suppose.

C#

Old 06-27-2015 | 07:34 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

To make it more clear... to check the codes on my bike (and many EFI bikes) you hold in on the tripmeter button while turning on the ignition, if that wasn't understood.

Old 07-14-2015 | 02:22 PM
papa_j
|
Cruiser

So, finally had the chance to work on her and then take her for a ride. Put a piece of hose between fuel pump and filter and she was running smooth. Problem was, she had no getup and go. Took a friend for a ride and with me and her on the bike, it was not going very fast. Was told she wasn't getting enough gas. Apparently the rubber hose I put on wasn't letting enough fuel through. So, after fruitless searches in my area, I went to the stealership. They wanted $40 for that little hose! Couldn't do it. Wound up in Lake City today so I figured I'd stop by Columbia County Cycles just to see it it was any better. If you've never been, I highly recommend it if you're in Lake City, Fl. Danny in there sold me that hose for $2! Seems the type of guy that WANTS to help people get back on the road. So I'll be replacing the hose, again, this evening. And I thought this would be an easy fix!

Old 07-14-2015 | 04:12 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by papa_j
So, finally had the chance to work on her and then take her for a ride. Put a piece of hose between fuel pump and filter and she was running smooth. Problem was, she had no getup and go. Took a friend for a ride and with me and her on the bike, it was not going very fast. Was told she wasn't getting enough gas. Apparently the rubber hose I put on wasn't letting enough fuel through. So, after fruitless searches in my area, I went to the stealership. They wanted $40 for that little hose! Couldn't do it. Wound up in Lake City today so I figured I'd stop by Columbia County Cycles just to see it it was any better. If you've never been, I highly recommend it if you're in Lake City, Fl. Danny in there sold me that hose for $2! Seems the type of guy that WANTS to help people get back on the road. So I'll be replacing the hose, again, this evening. And I thought this would be an easy fix!
The hose bore/ID on the one installed now would need to be really small to create a significant flow restriction at the relatively low flow on the bike, ..... such a small bore wouldn't be able to go onto the fittings.

Would be good to see photos of what's installed now and the one you've bought.

Old 07-14-2015 | 04:29 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I'm thinking that the regular hose kinked given the short turns it has to take in the tank. That's likely why HD put on the plastic hose they did, it can't really kink they way it's made.

Old 07-14-2015 | 08:11 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'm thinking that the regular hose kinked given the short turns it has to take in the tank. That's likely why HD put on the plastic hose they did, it can't really kink they way it's made.
That is more plausible than the hose being sized too small.

Old 07-14-2015 | 08:52 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1004ron
That is more plausible than the hose being sized too small.
Sure - the part that each end of the hose hooks to is the same as the ID of the hose - I cannot imagine he somehow found a hose that necks down in the middle. But regular hose could surely kink in the tight confines of our gas tanks, the way the filter mounts.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Issues? HELP