Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSTC vs. Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 AM
bikeknight
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXSTC vs. Wide Glide?

Anybody do aside-by-side demo on a Soft Tail Custom and a Wide Glide before they chose their ride? I'd be interested in your impressions.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:53 AM
rideforfun
Novice
Default RE: FXSTC vs. Wide Glide?

Mill Harley is having demo rides and 2 weeks ago I rode both of theses bikes. I like to ride two up a lot and I was able to have my wife ride passenger on the demos. Both bikes are great but I'd have to say overall the FXSTC is a better ride. I'm 5' 9" and for me the stretch to the pegs on the wide glide is a bit much. Also the handlebars place you arms in a position that becomes uncomfortable after a little bit. The FXSTC is perfect ergonomically for me and the wife enjoyed the ride. Even the stock king/queen seat is very comfortable. Both bikes have great power, shift smooth and handle well, you certainly couldn't go wrong with either. I'm dealer shopping right now to see the best deal I can get on an FXSTC. Hope this helps a little. Good luck deciding.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
bikeknight
Cruiser

Thanks Rideforfun.
Glad the Custom works for you! There's a two-tone blue suede and blackCustom over here I really like. Looks killer.
I'm a bit taller so the ergos on either bikewould suit me fine.
Did the difference in the rubber mounted WG motor and thebalanced motorCustom make a difference to you?

Steve

Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I tried to, but because I'mshort (5-7 or 5-8 depends on what time of day) I couldn't reach the ground or the foot controls properly on the WG so I didn't feel it wassafe to try it.
The Custom on the other hand puts everything well within reach.
'Technically' the WG with its more conventional swing arm geometry 'should' handle better. But any real or perceved handeling advantages are probably negated by the extra rake and trail it has in the front forks. It would probably take a full blown pro race rider on a track to be able to demonstrate the difference.
Let's face factsneither bike is anything like'race ready' by any stretch of the imagination. They will be hard pressed togive any crotch rocket with anythingbigger than a model airplane engine under the tank a hard time in a road race. But then their not supposed to.
If you ride two up a lot the Custom 'may' be a better overall choice. The stock seat isn't bad for rider or passenger andthe the bigger tire, while looking good, gives you a little extra margin of safetybyputtin a bit more rubber on the ground both to carry the load andget stoppedquicker.
Have fun choosing I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 04-27-2007, 01:25 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeping one spoked wheel clean is a pain, I can't imagine two, plus the rear spokes are hard to get to. I have seen some posts on here about broken/loose rear spokes when you ride two up alot. Just food for thought, I may be baised.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wide Glide is designed for taller riders, so if your not vertically challenged this won't be a issue. I chose the FXSTC for the 200mm rear tire. I almost bought a '06 softail standard be the '07s were released.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:03 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Crazy,
That's funny because I was in the dealer the week before the 07's came out to get a Standard.
I wanted to make a 'Custom' out of it. But when Imentioned that to the salesmanhe picked up an 07 catalog and said they were going to make them again for 07 and they already had one that they were going to unpack for the showroom. I asked him what color it was and when I could see it. He said it was black and they were going to put it out on Monday.
I was there Monday, took one look, sat on itand said, "where do I sign".

Old 04-28-2007, 10:15 AM
rideforfun
Novice

Steve,

Actually I preferred the rubber mounted motor, something about the mechanical feel of the motor shaking at idle. The down side is at certain speeds there was a fair amount of vibration through the pegs and handlebars. I didn't find it too bothersome but the wife found it to be very uncomfortable. I agree with you the two-tone blue suede and black looks great, I like the fire red pearl and black as well.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:31 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the rumors are true that the WG will be discontinued next model year, I would say there would be more support for aftermarket parts on the Softail Custom. Model specific parts for the 06-07 WG may get hard to find.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:14 PM
bikeknight
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: rideforfun

Steve,

Actually I preferred the rubber mounted motor, something about the mechanical feel of the motor shaking at idle. The down side is at certain speeds there was a fair amount of vibration through the pegs and handlebars. I didn't find it too bothersome but the wife found it to be very uncomfortable. I agree with you the two-tone blue suede and black looks great, I like the fire red pearl and black as well.

Thanks! As much as the soft tail's feel a bit neutered, you can't argue with the comfort. I'll stick with my FB (I just got some new Pearl Yellow tins on Ebay that'll hold me over) and see what comes out in July. I'll be sorry to see the Wide Glide go, but they might have something super sweet in the works for '08. The Custom will still be there - that's a lock!

Later,
Steve

Quick Reply: FXSTC vs. Wide Glide?