Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best seat for a tall guy: lepera barebones or spring seat??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015 | 09:38 AM
LittleCannon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nivek1975
I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and I ride an 03 Fatboy. I felt kinda cramped on it so I went with a barebones seat which moved me back and lower than the factory seat. Then I swapped the foot boards for forward pegs with stirrups and that helped a lot but I wanted more leg room so I added the Arlen Ness 3" extension kit and with the combination of all three, I'm very comfortable now.
I'm exactly your hight and made exactly same modifications on my NightTrain. To be honest, I could live without 3" extension kit, but with extension I'm more relaxed on bike.

Regarding LePera Barebone, my buttocks grow numb after driving 100 miles. After that I must stop for 15 min.
...but then again, I'm over 40, so problem might not be in seat....

Old 06-01-2015 | 11:22 AM
mwhiplash
|
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LittleCannon
I'm exactly your hight and made exactly same modifications on my NightTrain. To be honest, I could live without 3" extension kit, but with extension I'm more relaxed on bike.

Regarding LePera Barebone, my buttocks grow numb after driving 100 miles. After that I must stop for 15 min.
...but then again, I'm over 40, so problem might not be in seat....
What extension kit did you use?

Old 06-01-2015 | 12:37 PM
LittleCannon
Advanced

Originally Posted by mwhiplash
What extension kit did you use?
Arleen Ness 3" extension kit.
I believe, it's the only kit on market which includes everything inside (extended rear brake line, longer shifter linkage).

btw. prices here in Croatia are not cheap either, but, thank God on ebay I bought my LePera Barebones for $250 (customs and shipping included)

Old 06-01-2015 | 02:15 PM
mwhiplash
|
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LittleCannon
Arleen Ness 3" extension kit.
I believe, it's the only kit on market which includes everything inside (extended rear brake line, longer shifter linkage).

btw. prices here in Croatia are not cheap either, but, thank God on ebay I bought my LePera Barebones for $250 (customs and shipping included)
I've heard the Arleen Ness kit does not work with ABS brakes. Does anyone knows about that?

Old 06-01-2015 | 06:48 PM
Specialed603
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ragnar
I put a barebones on my Slim, which let me slide back a little bit - not much. Spring seat would have pushed me forward, but also higher.

As a couple of guys have mentioned, there are multiple options out there for moving controls forward by a couple of inches or more. I went forward 2 inches, and it made a huge difference. I'm 6'2".

Here's one example of such a kit - this one is by Arlen Ness and is +3 inches:

http://www.arlenness.com/prodcat/Controls1.asp

Now does this kit work with forward controls or will it work for floorboards too?? Been thinking about this since I'm 6,2 and that is the first kit that came with the brake line and shifter rod.

Old 06-01-2015 | 07:22 PM
Ragnar
Road Master

Originally Posted by mwhiplash
I've heard the Arleen Ness kit does not work with ABS brakes. Does anyone knows about that?
According to their website, they do have a version that does. It'd be the brake line, not the adapter plates that address the difference.

You would, of course, need to make sure you ordered the correct one.

http://www.arlenness.com/prodcat/Controls1.asp

Another potential issue is whether you could just simply change it out, or if there's some issue with bleeding the ABS system that would require a dealership or mechanic with special tools. Mine isn't ABS, so I have no experience, but I think I remember someone else having an issue.

Old 06-01-2015 | 07:25 PM
Ragnar
Road Master

Originally Posted by Specialed603
Now does this kit work with forward controls or will it work for floorboards too?? Been thinking about this since I'm 6,2 and that is the first kit that came with the brake line and shifter rod.
My Slim has floorboards. All it does is put a plate in between the frame and the controls mounting bracket. It bolts to the frame where the controls did, then the controls mount to it.

One of my friends actually used two of these piggybacked together, since he's like 6'8" tall. Bolted one to the other, got +6".

Old 06-02-2015 | 01:07 PM
Beatz
Cruiser

I Am 6'1", but very long legged (37" inseam). Had the same tall guy issues. Picked up a Barebones for short rides, and Saddleman Explorer for a comfort seat. Both of these seats bring me back around 1", the Saddlemen is just a bit higher. Also added the 3" ness Kit. The Kuryakyn Kinetic Pegs, due to the way they are profiled, one of the few pegs that bring your foot down around 1/2" from normal pegs. Then added 1" riser extensions to the bars. All those .5-3" changes, added up to a world of difference with roominess.

Old 06-02-2015 | 01:37 PM
bluzman24
Advanced
Default cramped

Harley does make a "Tall Boy" seat. From what I recall it sits you a little further away from the gas tank. Just check to make sure it fits your bike. Good luck.