Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel toe mishap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:38 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 8,951 Likes on 4,700 Posts
Default Heel toe mishap

I remember this being a topic a couple years ago but they were just close calls. I have had several close calls but they are so few and I ride so often, I've never considered it a real danger.

I'm talking about the heel shifter getting caught on clothing. I wear jeans and in colder months, add leather. Last night after a 125mi ride, leaving my friend's house I stopped at a stop sign and couldn't get my leg down. I managed to stay up a couple seconds, trying to treat my leg free, but to no avail.the bike down on the left side. My leg, still tangled, took most of the damage. The bike suffered some.

I have a long ride north on Friday morning so I'm getting the parts I need to ride so I don't miss the trip. Among the casualties are my bars, mirror, clutch lever, clutch housing, and the rear turn signal.my primary was damaged but it looks to be just scratches.

The parts will be picked up today and I'll start working on them as soon as I get off work tonight. My plans also include the permanent removal of the rear shifter. I love the heel shift, so it will be missed.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:01 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks. I've personally never had it happen but if you still have the rubber peg on there, you might try one of the flat aftermarket shift pegs with the chrome surround if you're feeling adventurous. I can't see how anything but bell bottoms could get stuck on one of those. I adjust the lever as close to the board as possible while still being able to completely engage the gear. Glad you're leg is ok!

Old 05-20-2015, 07:17 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I just bought my heratige a few days ago. Before I rode off the lot I took the heel shifter off.

I did is just because I ride several bikes and I toe shift all of them. I have never thought of it from a safety angle though. I also like having more room on the floor board without the heel shifter.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I take 'em off on anything my wife or I ride, including rental bikes.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I never heard of this happening. Glad you were ok dude and the damage was minor.

Glad you posted about it. Good to know

Old 05-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Old 05-20-2015, 09:58 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Soooooo you couldn't apply hand brake, and put your right leg down? Guess I am missing something.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:15 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
Soooooo you couldn't apply hand brake, and put your right leg down? Guess I am missing something.
??? The way I read it, the OP had stopped, using whatever brake, and when he tried to put his foot down his pant leg caught on the 'heel shifter'. When that happens, 'stuff' happens fast and he fell over. I had never heard of the solution offered in post #6, but I have used rubber bands for the same function.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:24 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,424 Likes on 7,999 Posts

Must be awesome to be perfect like you.

As to the topic. I love my toe/heel shifter and would never remove it. I just make sure my pants/laces are properly dealt with to avoid something like this happening.

Large ones of these work great in a pinch for dealing with your pant legs.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 158 Posts

this was my first thought too but with out being there in the exact situation he was in let's just say it wasn't feasible.

i have never heard of this problem ever. maybe even a set of those boot straps that hold your jeans from flying up your leg might help hold things in place.

Quick Reply: Heel toe mishap