Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel toe mishap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:01 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
Must be awesome to be perfect like you.
It is a hellofa burden.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:16 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
I remember this being a topic a couple years ago but they were just close calls. I have had several close calls but they are so few and I ride so often, I've never considered it a real danger.

I'm talking about the heel shifter getting caught on clothing. I wear jeans and in colder months, add leather. Last night after a 125mi ride, leaving my friend's house I stopped at a stop sign and couldn't get my leg down. I managed to stay up a couple seconds, trying to treat my leg free, but to no avail.the bike down on the left side. My leg, still tangled, took most of the damage. The bike suffered some.

I have a long ride north on Friday morning so I'm getting the parts I need to ride so I don't miss the trip. Among the casualties are my bars, mirror, clutch lever, clutch housing, and the rear turn signal.my primary was damaged but it looks to be just scratches.

The parts will be picked up today and I'll start working on them as soon as I get off work tonight. My plans also include the permanent removal of the rear shifter. I love the heel shift, so it will be missed.

I can say this has happened to me luckily I never dropped it but I have came close...I always take the heel shifter off my bikes now I just don't like the look.

Side note sounds like your heading to the Red River Run? That ought to be interesting after Waco...maybe it will be a little calmer..LOL

Old 05-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,073 Likes on 6,791 Posts

I've never had that type of shifter, but I have lost 4-5 pairs of jeans to my pipes. My solution was found at a bicycle store. I bought two reflective velcro straps to keep it all together. Similar to:

Amazon.com : Yellow Racer Reflective Leg Bands- sold per pair : Sports Reflective Gear : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Yellow Racer Reflective Leg Bands- sold per pair : Sports Reflective Gear : Sports & Outdoors

Old 05-20-2015, 12:52 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
I've never had that type of shifter,
Same situation. The Deluxe I bought a few months back was the first bike I'd had with a heel shifter. I took the heel section off. For me, it just gets in the way

Old 05-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I removed the D@mn thing. The only thing I used it for was an easier way to put the bike into Neutral. Other than that, it was a real PITA!

Old 05-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

yep, I remove the heel shifter the first day... It just is in the way for me.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,478 Likes on 5,666 Posts

Took mine off after trying it for six months. HD makes a chrome cap to cover the bare shaft end. Looks sharp.

The Fatboy is the first bike I've owned that had one. I did not like it at first, but kept it for six months to see if I'd warm up to it. I did not. Got in the way more than anything. I miss it only about 10% of the time. Good move letting it go. It's amazing how much more real estate there is on the floorboard without the rear shifter.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:59 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Don't shoot, don't shoot, I likes mine. Also keeps me foot up on the board.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by cocky
Don't shoot, don't shoot, I likes mine. Also keeps me foot up on the board.

Same here

Old 05-20-2015, 06:05 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I was debating to take it off or not last year when I first got the bike. About six days into riding and I had a pair of bootcut Levi's catch on the danm thing and almost went down before I got my foot on the ground about halfway down. Danm near gave me a hernia trying to save it! Took it off right then and there.

Quick Reply: Heel toe mishap