Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes for long hauls

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015 | 03:20 AM
ProtectN
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Snowyone
I'm the same height and inseam and would not go higher than 12" or whatever ends up at armpit height. On my 011 Fatboy I tried Harleys Stalker(at least that's what I remember it called) which is a 9" rise drag bar almost and thought it felt so comfortable when I first put it on. My neck was killing me after a 3k trip because it required me to have my head reared back to see the road. I had 13" apes on my Wide Glide and why I thought I needed to change after 140k of comfort is beyond me. I'm in the process of converting Biltwel 12 apes with a 34" spread bar end to bar end spread to internal throttle and wires which will go on Pearl(my white Fatboy). Keeping the end spread to around 34"s will cut down the sail effect and using a 1 1/2 riser will keep the height to shoulder level. You get the bars higher than your shoulders, in my case anyway, my hands tended to fall asleep. And you want to keep a bit of forward lean in your adjustment. Sitting upright is hard on your spine in the bumps while the forward lean will help your spine absorb bumps and offset headwinds drag. Enough.

Thanks for the great info Snowyone and awesome looking bike too! I guess I was hoping that with the 14 inch bars the hand height would be right at or below shoulder height, but it looks like I may be wrong on that assessment. You brought up some great points in regards to the spread with and I'm thinking of cutting down and filing the bars in hopes of getting them where I need them to be. With the stock bar I am having to lean into the bike but more of in a drag bar way, and it's not the most comfortable after an hour or so of riding.

Old 05-20-2015 | 03:28 AM
ProtectN
|
Novice

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
While I don't have the same apes as you do I do have 16" chubbies and I've ridden my bike to Sturgis and back, putting on a little over 3000 miles in 3 weeks. Everybody is different in what they feel is comfy for them. To me, it's all about conditioning and I like to ride. When I got back from Sturgis, I could have turned around and done the same trip all over again. Like I said, to me, it's all about conditioning. As a side note, when I got out of Oregon, I usually maintained about 80mph on my Springer and I don't have a windshield but I do have a back rest and that helped.

Are the 16's above your shoulders Springer? I bet a back rest would be a great addition. The way the stock setup has me sitting now there is no way I'd be able to lean back on a rest and be comfortable on the bars too. Hopefully I'm able to get comfortable, thanks for the info and ride safe!

Old 05-20-2015 | 03:34 AM
ProtectN
|
Novice

Originally Posted by tmac00333
I'm exact same size as you - 5-9 with 30 inch inseam - and I live way out in the sticks, too so most of my drives are pretty good hauls.

l have Wild 1s 12.5 apes on my 2012 Fatboy. I love them, they are extremely comfortable, MUCH better than stock. A lot of my drives are all day and/or 2-3 days. I sort of wish I'd gone 16.

You'll be fine with those 14s, guaranteed. You'll love 'em.

Tmac thanks for the input. Sounds like were pretty much in the same boat and I'll probably love them like you said, but right now for some reason I'm nervous as hell that they'll be to tall, uncomfortable, and uncontrollable. At this point I don't think that no matter how they turn out they'll be any worse than the stock ones. Thanks for the info and nice bike!

Old 05-20-2015 | 08:09 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm 5'10" with 14" Gangsters with 1" risers and I love them. If I air up they are even with my shoulders. I also don't feel any increase in wind resistance either.

Old 05-20-2015 | 03:39 PM
IrIeSpringer420
Tourer

While I don't have the same apes as you do I do have 16" chubbies and I've ridden my bike to Sturgis and back, putting on a little over 3000 miles in 3 weeks. Everybody is different in what they feel is comfy for them. To me, it's all about conditioning and I like to ride. When I got back from Sturgis, I could have turned around and done the same trip all over again. Like I said, to me, it's all about conditioning. As a side note, when I got out of Oregon, I usually maintained about 80mph on my Springer and I don't have a windshield but I do have a back rest and that helped.
I have 16" chubbys as well and i can out ride most my friends. I also have A backrest that i can remove fast, long trips/going to work i use it and helps a lot, around town i like to remove it cuz it looks cooler

Old 05-21-2015 | 01:57 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ProtectN
Are the 16's above your shoulders Springer? I bet a back rest would be a great addition. The way the stock setup has me sitting now there is no way I'd be able to lean back on a rest and be comfortable on the bars too. Hopefully I'm able to get comfortable, thanks for the info and ride safe!
The grips are about shoulder high but the actual tops of the apes are a little above my shoulders. I have my apes at the same angle as my forks and I am able to comfortably lean back on my back rest and still have some flex in my arms.

Old 05-21-2015 | 03:21 AM
ProtectN
|
Novice

The grips are about shoulder high but the actual tops of the apes are a little above my shoulders. I have my apes at the same angle as my forks and I am able to comfortably lean back on my back rest and still have some flex in my arms.

That sounds exactly what I'm looking for myself. The bars and risers should be in tomorrow and the seat should be next week. I'll have some garage time with the ol girl and we'll get this all figured out.

Old 05-21-2015 | 01:54 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IrIeSpringer420
I have 16" chubbys as well and i can out ride most my friends. I also have A backrest that i can remove fast, long trips/going to work i use it and helps a lot, around town i like to remove it cuz it looks cooler

I will totally agree with you about the back rest. Personally, for how I want my Springer to look, the back rest doesn't really work for me either. After 40 years of physical labor, I have a 64 year old lower back that says, "support me you sucker or I will ruin your ride." Since I don't always know if I am going to take a short ride or a long ride, I just leave it on all the time.

Originally Posted by ProtectN
That sounds exactly what I'm looking for myself. The bars and risers should be in tomorrow and the seat should be next week. I'll have some garage time with the ol girl and we'll get this all figured out.
Sounds like a plan to me, good luck.

Old 05-21-2015 | 02:01 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Depends on your upper body strength. I love my 16's. To each their own. Arms below the shoulders helps.

Old 06-12-2015 | 07:33 AM
ProtectN
|
Novice
Default Got them on folks! They feel a bit wide so hopefully i'll adjust

Quick Reply: Apes for long hauls