Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Heritage vs Deluxe?

I was just wondering what the main differences are between the Deluxe and the Heritage Classic. I know the Heritage comes with bags and windshield and I think the bars and seat are different as well but what else is different? I love the Deluxe and cant get it out of my head but the dealer had me sit on a Heritage and I cant believe how comfortable it felt.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 AM
overthehill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heritage vs Deluxe?

Take both for a ride and go with your gut. Both are fine bikes. I like the fact that the heritage has the bags, but the Deluxe fit my shorter frame. Both have the nostalgic look I like.Remember, just about everyone who buys a Harley ends up changing out the seat to get one that's more comfy.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:22 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you like the whitewalls, most dealers will swap out on a heritage for minimal cost when the tires are still new. Good thing to dicker for.

I like the taller handle bars on the heritage. I believe the deluxe, fatboy and road king all share the same lower bar - same part number. The heritage bars fit me better. I'm five-ten.

To me, the deluxe is sort of like a fatboy with heritage wheels and whitewalls. Don't get me wrong, I love the fatboy and the deluxe. I just think the heritage classic is a bargain with the windshield, backrest, bags etc., and if the dealer will throw in whitewalls, breather and download you can put on some good slip-ons and be out the door with a nice bike pretty reasonably.

Whatever you get, I'll be jealous.

JB

Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Bikes are about the same as far as mechanics go. Deluxe is lower, which is not a good thing if you ride in the curves.

You get more with the Heritage, so it is a better value. By the time you put bags, windshield, etc on the Deluxe you will have considerably more in it than if you had went with the Heritage.

Bill

Old 04-26-2007, 01:20 PM
ZEKE ZINDER
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to agree with all the posted comments. My brother and I went out together to purchase two new Harleys. (we're both 5'8") He came home on the Heritage (FLSTC) andI rode outon a Deluxe (FLSTN). The bikes DO have different bars as well as very different risers. The seat is different enough to be notable. I LOVE the Deluxe having owned a 1994 (FLSTN) Heritage Special, also then called a Nostalgia some years ago. But from a standpoint of value, you can't beat the Classic with the standard bags and windshield. You'll love either bike!
-ZZ

Old 04-26-2007, 01:39 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I have to agree also about the cornering. Even with a Heritage you'll scrape the floorboards on really sharp corners. We have some winding 20 mph curves near here and even at just that speed the boards scrape for me on a stock Heritage. They do it on an '86 and on a 2005.

JB

Old 04-27-2007, 12:18 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I have owned both.

Heritage has huge bags and windshield and a better seat. It also comes with the sissy bar and lights in the fender trim.

The Deluxe has better looking light bar, turn signals, tail light and stitching. I also like the luggage rack and grab rail. The stock seat sucks, the passenger pillion sucks, and the bars with the pullback risers are good if you are very small.

Bottom line is the Heritage is better value and better for 2-up riding. Now having said that, I prefer the Deluxe because I grew to hate all of the studs on the Heritage. Too much of an Elvis look. But it is a fine bike.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:59 AM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone got pics of the 2 by each other for comparison? Is there a difference in ground clearance between them? Has anyone switched to forward controls instead of the floor boards and gained some ground clearance. The 1200R is my first Harley and I think Id be freaked out to be scraping the boards in turns. Im not so sure about the studs on the Heritage, but I have to agree its a better value, but my wife wont ride so I guess its all just more room for my gear if I travel.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:42 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If you go to

http://www.h-d.com

find the softails and click on the "walk around" and "paint and wheels" links you'll get a ton of pics.

Ebay's another good searchable database.

JB