Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Release backrest without turn signal relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:04 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts
Default Quick Release backrest without turn signal relocation?

I hate the relocation kit because it moves the turn signals sticking too far out of the back. Does anyone make a rear turn signal that can be integration into the rear most quick release bolt?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Need some more details on this one!

I had a 2009 CVO Springer that had the docking hardware added for a detachable backrest. The turn signals were still mounted on the fender struts.

To make it work, you need to grind/file down the locking cams on the backrest brackets. Only the part that you depress inwards to remove the backrest. Once you try mounting it up, you'll see what I mean. It's very clear and it's nor hard to do.

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719

I had a 2009 CVO Springer that had the docking hardware added for a detachable backrest. The turn signals were still mounted on the fender struts.

To make it work, you need to grind/file down the locking cams on the backrest brackets. Only the part that you depress inwards to remove the backrest. Once you try mounting it up, you'll see what I mean. It's very clear and it's nor hard to do.

Good luck.
Thanks, I'll give it a look.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You can grind down the back side of the detachable plates. Doing so and you won't have to relocate your rear turn signals.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:58 AM
doitda
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not to mechanically inclined, but bought the relocation kit and installed it myself. Did take me a few hours cause I'm really detailed though.
Didn't change the look too much on my Fatboy and the sideplates now work as intended.

If you just love the look of the stock turn signal stalks and must keep em, good luck with the shaving down project.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:50 PM
prerender
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719

Good luck.
So I can fit the HD detachable backrests by grinding/cutting the excessive parts without relocating the signals?

I was looking at the pictures and I didn't see much to grind there on the locking cams. Can you confirm you managed to fit the backrest in by grinding extra parts?

The following users liked this post:
Chriso1 (11-02-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by prerender
So I can fit the HD detachable backrests by grinding/cutting the excessive parts without relocating the signals?

I was looking at the pictures and I didn't see much to grind there on the locking cams. Can you confirm you managed to fit the backrest in by grinding extra parts?
I have done at least 6 of them in the past with no problems. Two on my bike and a for a few friends.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:30 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't think you grind the cams, only trim/grind the sheet metal behind the cam. Look at the ceneter of the picture where the two cams are side by side. At the bottom, below the cam, notice how the left side has been trimmed away.

All this does is give the sheet metal clearance to swing through the motion of installation. Why HD couldn't think of that is beyond me. It looks like they intentionally lead people to a turn signal relocation kit.

FWIW, you can also put the detachable spools on in reverse (fronts in back and backs in front) then simply install luggage rack on backward. It has an odd shape and doesn't look wrong to anyone that doesn't already have one installed.
This won't let you use a backrest though.
Trim at the red area<br/>

Last edited by SLV; 11-02-2016 at 04:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justbs549 (03-24-2017)
Old 11-03-2016, 10:37 AM
prerender
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2015 Street Bob, and I don't see the bolt to be able to attach the docking hardware.

Not sure if this grinding trick still works.. for newer Street Bob models signal relocation might be the only way to install detachable sissy bars. What do you guys think?

Last edited by prerender; 11-03-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:29 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

I have a 2015 Street Bob, and I don't see the bolt to be able to attach the docking hardware.

Not sure if this grinding trick still works.. for newer Street Bob models signal relocation might be the only way to install detachable sissy bars. What do you guys think?
Well that throws a wrench into the works. HD is so hard up to sell relocation kits the changed up the game.