Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015 | 05:42 PM
byronk
|
Road Captain
Default New and need help/advice

Hi all. Im new here and am looking at buying a bike in the next week. I've owned other bikes but only one Harley and I was single so ridged with no second seat was ok then. Now with the wife wanting to come along I need something good for the both of us to ride on. I know how much I can spend and pretty much what I like so far. Between the two of these bikes what are the pros/cons and what bike seem like the better overall? Would the 01 be easier to get parts/upgrade? The wife likes the bigger front tire and look of the Fatboy but is ok with either bike. Both bike are ready to ride. The Fatboy is about $1500 less than the Softail but again I really just want to get the best bike long term.

Bike #1 is a 94 Fatboy. 13000 miles and this is the only pic I've gotten of the bike but it looks very clean and does have some extras and clean title. I would just want to lower it and maybe change the seat.

Bike #2 is a 2001 Softail with 17000 miles and is already lowered with some nice upgrades and clean title. Like everything about the bike but would just need a better seat for when the wifes with me.

Old 05-03-2015 | 06:22 PM
byronk
|
Road Captain

Oh and guess it would be helpful to know.......Where we live we're surrounded by mountains so most our riding will be mountain roads/highways so not a lot of freeway riding and usually no more than 200 miles.

Old 05-04-2015 | 01:55 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Both are good riders it will be up to you on the one you like best. You will need a good passenger seat for the wife to ride on and IMHO you will also need a good backrest for her to lean back on. The main thing is to make it a bike she wants to ride on as she is the BOSS you know... lol...

Old 05-04-2015 | 06:48 PM
byronk
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
Both are good riders it will be up to you on the one you like best. You will need a good passenger seat for the wife to ride on and IMHO you will also need a good backrest for her to lean back on. The main thing is to make it a bike she wants to ride on as she is the BOSS you know... lol...

Thanks for the advice. Yeah your definitely right about the wife being BOSS! lol but im just lucky she's into getting a bike and want to make her happy as I am about riding it, well almost as happy

Old 05-04-2015 | 07:12 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

You can do what I did and make everything removeable so that when you ride it, it is your ride and when the wife wants to go with you, you can add the comfy seat and back rest in minutes.

Mine is a bar hopper during the week and a bagger on the weekends.

Old 05-04-2015 | 07:30 PM
rockinred
Road Captain

The big difference will be the motor. The fatboy would be an evolution motor and the Standard would be the twin cam. I'd go with the 2001 but can't go wrong with either.

Old 05-04-2015 | 07:43 PM
funbikerchick
Tourer

I think I would go with the 2001 for no other reason than it is 7 years newer. Even though the 94 has low mileage, some parts need to be replaced based upon age - I know rubber hoses and seals for example. I think a $1500 difference is not enough to entice me towards the older bike.

Old 05-04-2015 | 08:27 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

How tall are you is decisive factor, I wasn't so short I go with a bagger.

Old 05-04-2015 | 09:16 PM
byronk
|
Road Captain

I'll definitely take the advice to get seperate setups for when she's with me.

So far as height.....I'm only 5'7a and it's definitely a concern for me on bike choice. If it's not all ready, whatever I get I'll lower. Would a standard be better at my height?

Old 05-04-2015 | 09:32 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

67" is more than tall enough for a Softail. The early Twinkies are really a great value right now. If the 2001 seller needs to dump it and the fattie seller holds out the prices could match. Cash is king so I'd go for the fx and offer a fair but discounted price.

The only thing that the Evo would entice me over the twink is that there is nothing really unfixable on the bike. If the 2001's owner never checked the cam shoes and they go then you're upside down on that bike rather quickly. That being said there are lots off people on this forum that can walk you through that, easily too.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: New and need help/advice