Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Drama on a Slim…help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015 | 12:29 AM
MNtadpole
|
Tourer
Default Exhaust Drama on a Slim…help

So i was trying to perform a few maintenance checks for my 1000 mile checkoff. I was able to swap out all the fluids without a hitch…until i needed to do the drive belt tension check. When my readings showed that my belt was loose and needed tightening, following my Service Manual, i went forward with trying to do the axel adjustment. Quickly I realized that it wasn't going to be a straight forward as turning the axel adjustment screws, since the right-side stock exhaust blocks this right-side axel adjustment. So long story short, i was able to get the axel adjustment made…at the expense of tearing apart my exhaust system all the way to the exhaust ports. My question is this, is there any easier way to get the axel adjustments completed? Is there a more time saving method to get access to the goods behind that rear blocking exhaust?

Re-assembley was a nightmare as well! So the service manual wanted me to completely hang the exhaust and lastly attempt to attach the O2 sensors. Well the way i saw it, there was next to no room to install any of the sensors after hanging the exhaust. To get the bike back together, i screwed in the rear o2 sensor first with the exhaust not attached, and then attempted to screw the front o2 sensor in after the hanging. Needless to say, i have doubts about the front o2 sensors torque level…since i wash't able to really get a tool properly inside the tiny space between exhaust and engine.

Again, if anyone has any suggestions or advice about an easier exhaust installation i would greatly appreciate it! I will say that I'm glad to have done this maintenance for the first time myself…i enjoyed most of the wrenching. Im pretty sure i will be taking the exhaust off again soon. Im afraid that i should have replaced the the port exhaust gaskets…there is a chance that i may have damaged them. OOPS!

Old 05-03-2015 | 07:23 PM
MNtadpole
|
Tourer
Default Bump...

Come on guys, and suggestions or place to look would be appreciated!

Old 05-03-2015 | 11:43 PM
CajunIron
Cruiser

You plan on dumping the stock exhaust? I have VH BR 2 into 2 and they don't come close to the axle area. Plenty of room to do whatever. From what I read most belts hold their size after the first adjustment but don't hold me to It.

Old 05-04-2015 | 10:26 AM
MNtadpole
|
Tourer
Default good point...

At the moment, I don't plan to change the exhaust. Money us tight and I can't justify the need for swapping the exhaust. Unfortunately, if I did upgrade the exhaust I would probably lean towards a longer exhaust...longer than say a short-shot type. I hope I don't need another belt adjustment anytime soon! Anyone have suggestions on working with the exhaust I have?

Old 05-04-2015 | 10:46 AM
MNtadpole
|
Tourer

I'm thinking of trying to undo the muffler support bracket screws which attach to the muffler body instead of trying to take off the support bracket from the frame with the mufflers attached...then I would have to loosen the header exhaust port bracket...I did this first time..PITA

Old 05-04-2015 | 11:13 AM
baloot-boy
Road Captain

Forgive me for my ignorance as its been a while since I've had my stock exhaust on so I can reach my axle adjustment screws, but Im picturing it in my head. Why would you have to remove your complete exhaust? Wouldnt pulling off the slip-ons give you enough room?

Old 05-04-2015 | 11:46 AM
MNtadpole
|
Tourer

It was my first time going at it...I couldnt see how to get a wrench behind the muffler support to reach the muffler fasteners... Someone please let me know if they have had success with this...with say a crescent or box wrench

Old 05-04-2015 | 12:13 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

I've not had any problems getting to those bolts. I use a flex head ratcheting 12pt box end wrench.

Old 05-04-2015 | 09:36 PM
MNtadpole
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I've not had any problems getting to those bolts. I use a flex head ratcheting 12pt box end wrench.
You know, I never would have thought to buy that tool before...ugh ha ha ha. I'm going to have to check it out!

Old 05-05-2015 | 10:37 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by MNtadpole
You know, I never would have thought to buy that tool before...ugh ha ha ha. I'm going to have to check it out!
If it weren't for my brother I would not have half the tools I own. We seem to be in a competition with tools. He buys some tools then I think I need them to and vise versa. LOL It never ends. The wife hates it when we talk.