Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beachbar Wiring on '92 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:10 AM
fatboyfrankster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beachbar Wiring on '92 Fatboy

Am installing Wild1 Beachbars on my bike. Do any of you guys know if there is a wire disconnect to run the wires through (inside)the bars or must they be spliced? Is there a plug under the tank that will fit through the holes? Thanks, Frank

Old 04-25-2007, 01:47 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer
Default RE: Beachbar Wiring on '92 Fatboy

I don't know if your fatboy is the same as my 93 springer, but it should be similar. I've got two plugs under the tank. If you loosen the tank, you should be able to unclip the plugs.

The wiring plugs are too large to fit inside the bars, but if the wiring is long enough, you should be able to remove each individual wiring pin from the plug (after carefully noting which wire goes in which location), run your wires through the bars, and then re-install the pins in the plug.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:05 AM
fatboyfrankster
Novice

To me,splicing wires is a last resort. I decided to auger through the install and answer my ownquestion (and add toTWOWHEELSFOREVER'S post)for the next guy.I'll tell you how I did mine, hope it helps you decide on your install.
First of all,its an install ofWild1 550 Chubby Beach-Bars ona '92 Fatboy.
1) Drain and remove r/h tank. Plug lines to opposite tank.
2) Disconnect 2 plugs that connect to to the old bars. Carefuly mark or diagram the wire layout to the plugs. Look at the face of the plug ,you should find a spare pin to practice removing (a blank pin with no wires conneced to it). As you look at the face of the plug, there is a small tang on the tip. Behind this is a lock that prevents the pin from coming out the backside of the plug unless depressed. Depress this and push the pin out the backside of the plug with some kind of a pushing tool (I used a small allen wrench). Once you have mastered this, remove the pins/wires making sure you can reinstall them back where they belong. You'll see the locking mechanism once the pin is removed. Just make sure its not deformed before you reinstall. Practice on the spare pin first. If you screw it up -no worries as there are no wires connected to it.
3) Once you have removed the plugs from the ends of the wires, the harness is easily pushed through the inside of the bars and carefully picked out with needle-nose pliers from the center of the new bars. It helps to have your bud there to hold the bars upside-down while you push them through. I had just enough wire to reinstall. An inch shorter and I'd spliced them. Tie-wrap the wires back together as they were before and plug them back in.
I'm not saying this is the perfect or only method. I work on aircraft and the methods there is tokeep splices to a minimum for vibration reasons (not that Harleys vibrate or anything like that, lol). This isn't that difficult by the way as long as you still have decent eyesight. Good luck -will post pics when I get time.
By the way, its like a new bike now with the new bars. Like riding a barcalounger! Good Luck...
-Frank (Just a little Northeast of Houston,Tx.)

Old 04-28-2007, 06:53 AM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered the WO 550's and am gonna put them on my 07 Fboy. Should take a week for Chicago HD to get them and then another to send them; plus the cables etc; over here.

Can't wait. Thanks for the info man,.... Damn, when I read posts like this, I'm so glad i joined this forum.

Post some pics when you get the chance. Vonzipper has exactly the same bars and his deluxe looks unreal.