Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updates on Lithium Ion Batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015 | 02:41 PM
UT-rckr
|
Road Master
Default Updates on Lithium Ion Batteries?

Havent seen an update on batteries for a while (maybe I missed them), but my '08 is going to need the stock battery replaced before too long so looking at options. I like the Lithium Ion options for their size, but the reviews seemed to be mixed. Whatever battery I get I would hope to get the same life out of again. I use a battery tender which I believe has helped me achieve this. Both my truck and jeep have batteries that are 12+ years old and still going strong which I also attribute to using a tender.

Anyhow, any reasons why I shouldnt go the lithium ion route still? Are they more reliable and robust at this point? Worth 2x the cost of just going to Autozone and getting whatever is on the shelf there?

Old 04-29-2015 | 04:27 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

I'm in the same situation...08 rocker, battery has lasted till now with no issues, garaged but no tender but ridden often just went belly up...no complaints.
I was in the auto parts place and happened to notice they had my replacement battery on sale, priced reasonably and made locally...so I bought it.
I had thought of this new type...size and weight is a real plus, BUT from what I read online they REQUIRE a fairly narrow spec on the charging or they die permanently...and they are pricey to begin with.
So I stuck with a sealed gel battery.
Either way, as long as it starts every time...LOL. I could easily compensate for the weight by cutting back on the beer...No, thats not going to happen.
Ride safe.

Old 04-29-2015 | 04:28 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Default Don't know about ION, but IRON......

Lithium ION is old tech. Lithium IRON or LIFE is the new tech.

I have an EarthX battery in my heritage-Glide. I have run my show lights for 5 hours at night and started the bike with no issue. It also has no problem supporting the stereo and the lights for over an hour. Probably more but I didn't try.

My purpose was the added reserve since I was adding electronics to an otherwise sparsely powered bike. That and the 10.5:1 compression gave me some cranking issues at times with the original equipment replacement battery.

I did have one of the original series EarthX batteries go bad in 20 months, but they replaced it, overnight at their cost. Great company to deal with.

I can't speak to other brands but at .5 lb, I go with LIFE batteries all day long.

The following users liked this post:
Sidehacker (04-11-2018)
Old 04-29-2015 | 04:41 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

it depends on your needs... I went with Antigravity 16 cell battery, but!!, only because my bike is a bobber and I needed the extra space in the battery compartment to hide stuff... heck.. they cost $260 plus shipping!... also.. they require a special battery charger for that battery.. you cannot use the typical trickle charger .. it will damage the battery...

again.. if you don't have a special need then I don't see the benefit of the extra cost.. I would stay with the stock replacement type.

Sleeko (04-11-2018)
Old 04-30-2015 | 02:19 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by joebotics
it depends on your needs... I went with Antigravity 16 cell battery, but!!, only because my bike is a bobber and I needed the extra space in the battery compartment to hide stuff... heck.. they cost $260 plus shipping!... also.. they require a special battery charger for that battery.. you cannot use the typical trickle charger .. it will damage the battery...

again.. if you don't have a special need then I don't see the benefit of the extra cost.. I would stay with the stock replacement type.
At $360.00 plus an additional $50.00 for the charger I think I will go with the GEL cell battery and a question how many charge /discharge cycles will it do?
They don't mention this on their web site.

I fly RC planes with LiPoly batteries and they will only take so many charge/discharge cycles before the battery "Puffs" out, meaning it is unsafe to use as the internal materials ,the lithium, is loose in the housing and can Explode!!!. But as you said if it is for a stock bike go with the OEM type battery. My

Old 04-30-2015 | 04:57 PM
Berick
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
At $360.00 plus an additional $50.00 for the charger I think I will go with the GEL cell battery and a question how many charge /discharge cycles will it do?
They don't mention this on their web site.

I fly RC planes with LiPoly batteries and they will only take so many charge/discharge cycles before the battery "Puffs" out, meaning it is unsafe to use as the internal materials ,the lithium, is loose in the housing and can Explode!!!. But as you said if it is for a stock bike go with the OEM type battery. My
Agreed.... I also did the RC plane deal and those Lipo fires are insane! I for one would not want to be driving down the hiway doing 70 and have that thing decide to light itself up. They burn insanely hot and fast.

Old 04-30-2015 | 05:23 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

My first battery on current bike lasted 4 years. Always on a tender when not in use as I'm not a daily rider. That's a little short on years but considered normal by many. In contrast, my F150 truck battery lasted 10 years, never on a tender, driven most days and much of that was only for a mile or less. Probably stay with gmat for the bike.

Sidehacker (04-13-2018)
Old 04-30-2015 | 09:55 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Berick
Agreed.... I also did the RC plane deal and those Lipo fires are insane!
Same here. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Battery technology is advancing at the same speed that aviation was back in the 1940's. Lithium Ion is just too volatile for me to put it in my bike, and hope that it does not decide to spontaneously ignite someday. With my luck, it would cook off while I was at work, thus taking out the bike, garage, and entire house.

I'll pass and stick with a stock battery until a next-gen battery comes out that is safer.

Sidehacker (04-11-2018)
Old 05-02-2015 | 12:25 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

The Lithium Iron does not have the heat overrun issues that the Lithium Ion do.

I'm on my third year on my Lithium Iron and it is going strong. They have not been available long enough to know, but all indications are that they should last much longer than lead acid or gel.

Click HERE for more info.

That being said, they are much more expensive, and unless you need the extra space (tuner, load equalizer, etc) then it is something that is a bit of a luxury.

I need the extra space, but now after using it for years, I would not go traditional again.

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
FL15TG (04-13-2019), Sidehacker (04-11-2018)
Old 05-02-2015 | 01:23 AM
Berick
Road Captain

You said it yourself... they haven't been out long enough to really know what they'll be like. I realize you sell them so there may be a bit of a bias opinion on your part. All I know is that I've seen first hand how insane those batteries burn up (even if a charger is is hooked up wrong or an improper charger/maintainer used) and I wouldn't want that frying my *** and ***** while I was trying to pull over off the highway. Not to mention the damage done to the bike. Those batteries come with a 3 year warranty. It would be nice to see after 5 or 6 years how it's doing. Also.... I'd throw that thing out as soon as it's case was even slightly bulged or mis-shaped.

Sidehacker (04-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Updates on Lithium Ion Batteries?