Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Blackline now has Mid Controls.. :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:02 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Default My Blackline now has Mid Controls.. :-)

hey fellas,

so I did some research on how to convert my softy to mid controls using bolt on parts... and while is doable, it costs more than $2000 for the conversion... hell, I decided to try to make mine on the cheap... I already put 800 miles on this new setup and I am loving it!

Here is the brake assembly, I made it from 1/4 inch aluminum plate and a bunch of stainless steel bolts/nuts and a sportster brake pedal, there are two plates, one to support the brake pedal / footpeg and another to relocate the master cylinder:

For the shifter side, I bought a Dyna primary outer cover, and after some drilling I JB welded a lock nut on the inner side, I cut the stock piece that supports the passenger footpeg and then I used a bolt to join the footpeg support to the inner lock nut, simple enough, initially I relocated the shifter peg so it faces me, which means the shift sequence was inverted, which got me thinking, if I am going to have to memorize a new way to shift, perhaps I should do it differently .. soo... I made a hand shifter and foot clutch!! wohoo!!..Im had to cut / grind /sand the footpeg - kickstand base to make it look better.. I used a Dyna shifter rod to attach the shifter peg to the clutch cable.. I am loving this new setup, I just finished the foot clutch, so I am not so sure how durable it is I gotta put some miles on it..... if anybody is interested I can provide more information:

Happy Riding!!!

Last edited by joebotics; 05-22-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:51 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Very nice. Hand shifting is cool. It all looks good.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:54 PM
gadgetguy1288
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Talk about a wild looking ride! That is an awesome job man! I can't even see a Blackline in that! lol

Old 04-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Zambo5000
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks fun to lay on through some turns.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hell yeah dude !!!!! Good for you man! You beat me to it, I thought I was gonna be the first one to get miss on a softail frame lol.

I was gonna do it with the bolt on parts though (the easy way) lol.

Much respect to you for engineering this set up. I've been collecting parts for the last 3 months in preparation for my job. Already got Dyna inner and outer primaries for mids and I got the Dyna mid control brackets. Waiting to pick up exile's frame mounts and rear brake set up.

You did a hell of a job here dude. Your entire setup is freaking ****. Like gadget said, that thing barely looks like a Blackline.

Last edited by Alain; 04-22-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:23 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

hey Alain... I was just waiting for you to chime in... LOL

thanks everybody for the encouraging comments.. I really appreciate it!

Alain... so. what are you gonna do about the kickstand?.. once you install the Dyna primary setup with the Exile brackets you wont be able to retract the stock kickstand... are you going with the Exile kickstand? or the Arlen Ness? gotta tell you ... none of those kickstands lock like the stock one does..

I'll be around if you have questions or want suggestions about your setup... :-)

hey.. did anybody notice my front end?.. I installed 39mm shrouds from Low Brow.. it required some chopping / grinding / sanding... and the lower tubes rub the shrouds, so I will have to eventually grind off some of slider outer metal to stop the rubbing.. not much.. perhaps 1 mm.. I think it looks really slick.. too bad Low Brow does not make shrouds for 41mm..

Old 04-23-2015, 05:22 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Bro!! I was so mesmerized by the mids on your bike that I totally missed the shroud on the forks !!! lolol. It looks great, I like how it covers the bottom trees as well ! Very little chrome on your sled, you're doing the name Blackline some real justice !!

As far as the kickstand, right now my plan is to go with the Arlen Ness set up. Im not a big fan of their products but a kickstand I can handle lol.

But when I order the Exile parts I might just end up getting their kickstand, we will see.

I wanted to ask you about that rear brake set up. You said it's made from sportster parts right? Did you have to do any modification to the rod that connects the pedal to the master cylinder?

Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Hey Alain,

about the rear brake setup, that rod that I made was quite an abomination LOL.. I advice you get a new master cylinder, something much easier to install than the stock Softail cylinder, the bracket I made to attach the cylinder to the plate was a pain to build properly, you should get a cylinder that you can simply bolt in with spacers and screws, perhaps Sportster type like this one:

or this one:

for ways to attach the cylinder to the brake pedal, look at this thread, good ideas here:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=927868

Gimme a couple days, I will disassemble the brake pedal and I will take pictures so you have an idea on how to attach the pedal to the plate.

also, of course you will need a new brake line, to make your life easier you should get a banjo bolt that integrates the brake switch on it.. like this one:

unfortunately I dont know the pitch on the banjo bolt, I know they are 10mm, but they come as both 10mm X 1.0mm or 10mm X 1.25mm

Last edited by joebotics; 04-23-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Great info dude. Thanks for sharing that.

I didn't know you could get banjo bolts with the brake switch on it already. Pretty sweet.

I'm gonna look at my ol'lady's rear brake set up on her nightster and see if it resembles that picture you posted.

If so then I can visualize what you're talking about better.

Thanks man.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Dogs57
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

That is one wicked looking Blackline. Nice work you've done there.

Quick Reply: My Blackline now has Mid Controls.. :-)