Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel popping, FP3 vs HD Tuner to fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:08 AM
Lostone
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decel popping, FP3 vs HD Tuner to fix it.

Hey Guys,

I bought my BO used with (installed by the dealer) Big Radius pipes and a PM intake already installed. The dealer told me that they had installed everything on the bike for the previous owner when it was purchased from them new last year. The bike seems to run pretty good except some decal popping. I'm going to try and make some changes to minimize the decel popping. I'm guessing that it was tuned with a HD tuner previously but not positive. I don't have much info from the dealer or experience with the HD tuner. If a HD tuner was used would the tuner still be attached to the bike like a power commander? also, If i want to make some changes do I have to or should I use another HD tuner or can I use a FP3 to be sure its tuned correctly? I been doing some reading on the FP3 and it seems to be a great tool.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:26 AM
smithrw
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tuner

I can't comment on other makes of tuners but for me I went with Power Vision from Fuel Moto. Like you I have pipes and intake and had lots of popping.. Now nearly all of the popping is gone and the bike runs
soooooooooo much better! Give Travis a call.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:48 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If the ECM has been flashed via SEPST the device is linked to the bike and can't be used on any other bike so sounds strange the previous owner didn't leave it to the dealer when sold the bike since the SEPST is useless for any other purpouse. When I sold my previous Street Bob I left the SEPST to the dealer. If they don't have it try and ask if they may contact previous owner to obtain the device. IF it comes for free is not a bad deal. If the bike has been tuned, obviously...
SEPST canned maps do not solve decel popping with full exhaust systems, I experienced the same issue with my previous V&H Big Shots Staggered. Needed a good dyno to trim the map properly and reduce by over 90% decel popping in the range 2000-3000rpms. SEPST map for Stage I is set for AC and SE mufflers and with an open exhaust they give an AFR basically too lean.
If you manage to obtain the SEPST I might pass you my previous Stage I map modded after dyno. With this map you should be able to ride much better and with a bit of auto tuning you might trim it even further for your AC and exhaust... Already did it with other HDF members and they were quite happy with it. It will be a pleasure to help..
Btw, as far as I know the fact that the ECM has been previously flashed with SEPST shouldn't create any problem if you wish to change tuner model.

Last edited by Nostradamus74; 04-22-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:38 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

your dealer can tune 3 ways..

1. A flash.
2. With the Street tuner.
3. With the Pro tuner..

If you have the Pro tuner (a great tuner)then a good dyno tune would/might help.. also remember a Little Decel popping is not anything bad and sometimes almost impossible to tune out...

Also, not knowing what you have it is hard to make a call on what to do.

And no,, the SEpST is not attached to your EMC on the bike all the time.

Last edited by oct1949; 04-22-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:21 PM
Lostone
6th Gear
Default Wow

Hello Guys, so i went ahead and bought the fp3 tuner followed direction and downloaded the map for my setup. Flashed the bike and took it for a spin.....Holy Sh*T! The difference is amazing almost all decel popping is gone. Throttle response seems much smoother and and a bit snappier. I love this thing. What a big improvement. I will suggest it to anyone who has some tuning issue. Going to try and refine the tuning just a bit using the auto-tune. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:35 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the SEPST and wound up with a boatload of decel pop after the Stage 1 remap.
I even went out and bought the additional cables and CD Software to run the SmartTune - but this thing wasn't user friendly at all - clearly it was designed with an experienced tech and a dyno in mind.
I ended up with the FP3 a year later and on the first remap, decel pop disappeared completely, along with a lot of other benefits over the previous tune.

I played with the V&H AutoTune a few times, but whatever changes it made were minor.
Bottom line, as long as you're using the correct map for your installed upgrades, the first map should be good to go.
Mine was... My FP3 has been back in its box ever since.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:57 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Maybe this a place to tout ThunderMax..great tool, completely used friendly

Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 AM
Lostone
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jam436
I have the SEPST and wound up with a boatload of decel pop after the Stage 1 remap.
I even went out and bought the additional cables and CD Software to run the SmartTune - but this thing wasn't user friendly at all - clearly it was designed with an experienced tech and a dyno in mind.
I ended up with the FP3 a year later and on the first remap, decel pop disappeared completely, along with a lot of other benefits over the previous tune.

I played with the V&H AutoTune a few times, but whatever changes it made were minor.
Bottom line, as long as you're using the correct map for your installed upgrades, the first map should be good to go.
Mine was... My FP3 has been back in its box ever since.

One thing, not sure if i like is that for some reason my bike seems not as loud? Maybe it just me or just that I'm used to the decel popping.did you see that with your tune?

Old 04-30-2015, 07:32 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My ECM and SE race tuner took a crap on me. I went with the dynojet 5 and I cant make mine pop even when I try. I would never take my bike to a Harley dealership for a tune, ever! They have EPA rules and guidelines that they have to follow and that's not a good thing for your bike. Find a top notch tuner and go talk to him.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Lostone
Hello Guys, so i went ahead and bought the fp3 tuner followed direction and downloaded the map for my setup. Flashed the bike and took it for a spin.....Holy Sh*T! The difference is amazing almost all decel popping is gone. Throttle response seems much smoother and and a bit snappier. I love this thing. What a big improvement. I will suggest it to anyone who has some tuning issue. Going to try and refine the tuning just a bit using the auto-tune. I'll keep you all posted.
If they didn't give you a little orange box (VCI) when you got the bike then you probably did the most cost effective solution. Most dealers only load a base map from the software that is the closest fit for your setup. They are only good for a starting point and need to be fine tuned from there. Most dealer mechanics in my experience are not familiar with how to dial a tune in, it doesn't have to happen on a dyno although that's the most complete way of accomplishing this. I don't buy into theory of "dealers are only allowed to install EPA certified tunes" the simple fact is they don't know how to use their own product to fine tune a bike after upgrades.

As far as the change in you exhaust tone, my bike had a big change after I had it dyno tuned and all of the decel pop was gone. It should sound much "smoother" over all.

Quick Reply: Decel popping, FP3 vs HD Tuner to fix it.