Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward controls for Fatboy Lo - which kit is best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015 | 05:56 AM
13bob
|
Tourer
Default Forward controls for Fatboy Lo - which kit is best?

I'm looking to replace my foot boards with standard length, black forward controls (not extended) on my '15 Fatboy Lo...

Anyone done this mod? Which brand / kit is best? Is the HD kit any good? So far I like the look of the Jaybrake J-series forward controls. Serious coin involved for those babies!!

Thanks

Old 04-20-2015 | 01:21 PM
Visago
Cruiser

I was tossing around the idea of getting rid of my floor boards and going with forward controls. HD kit seems like the most affordable and looks like it converts it over to the FX style.

Old 04-20-2015 | 02:47 PM
BlessedHellride
Road Master

Some aftermarket fwds will bring your foot up higher than where it is now (with boards) and where they would be with FX style controls. Take a close look at some of those kits vs. the HD brand - the FX style peg mount come straight off of the top mounting bolt - the other brands have their peg mounts a lot higher than that. It's not much and may not matter to you, but for some of us longer limbed riders it matters.
Plus, with the HD FX style kit, you can incorporate their Billet Heel Rest levers, which still gives you that foot board feeling. Not sure you can do that with others. Pic attached for reference (not a lo), but I am using the Ness extensions. HD kit FTW.

Attached Thumbnails Forward controls for Fatboy Lo - which kit is best?-left-rear-w-apes.jpg  
Old 04-21-2015 | 12:32 AM
13bob
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Some aftermarket fwds will bring your foot up higher than where it is now (with boards) and where they would be with FX style controls. Take a close look at some of those kits vs. the HD brand - the FX style peg mount come straight off of the top mounting bolt - the other brands have their peg mounts a lot higher than that. It's not much and may not matter to you, but for some of us longer limbed riders it matters.
Plus, with the HD FX style kit, you can incorporate their Billet Heel Rest levers, which still gives you that foot board feeling. Not sure you can do that with others. Pic attached for reference (not a lo), but I am using the Ness extensions. HD kit FTW.
Thanks, that's good info.

Old 04-21-2015 | 03:25 PM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer

A few months ago I bought stock forward controls from a 2009 night train, the mounts are the same for softails 2000 and up. Open belt drive and rear mount kick stand I decided to go with the a set of outlaw forward controls, I’m not sure im happy with the matte black finish, I will probably powder coat them next winter http://www.outlawcycleproducts.com/s.../outlaw-black/ I haven’t rode with them yet, but seem pretty nice.

here is what i got originally, I bolted everything up, and it worked well, my only complaint was I’m not a big fan with how far Harley’s pegs stick out (you can google any of them and see).

You can look for good deals on these parts below instead of using the “Harley kit”... you might be able to find them cheap on here, ebay, craigslist...ect
  • Forward control bracket (shifter side) - Harley part # 33683-07A
  • Forward control bracket (brake side) - Harley part # 42508-08HP
  • Foot brake lever – Harley part # 42515-07
  • Shift lever - Harley part # 34564-90B
  • this is the other shift lever part - hd part number 33660-07. i didn’t buy that because you should be able to use your current one, just might have to cut down the end that slides into the other shifter part if it sticks out too far.
    Only other thing you should need are the pegs (stock or aftermarket)

here’s a pic of what i "was" going to use. if anyone’s interested they will be listed for sale soon in the classifieds.

Old 04-22-2015 | 04:47 AM
13bob
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE RUSH
A few months ago I bought stock forward controls from a 2009 night train, the mounts are the same for softails 2000 and up. Open belt drive and rear mount kick stand I decided to go with the a set of outlaw forward controls, I’m not sure im happy with the matte black finish, I will probably powder coat them next winter http://www.outlawcycleproducts.com/s.../outlaw-black/ I haven’t rode with them yet, but seem pretty nice.

here is what i got originally, I bolted everything up, and it worked well, my only complaint was I’m not a big fan with how far Harley’s pegs stick out...
Thanks for the info... Interesting about how far Harley's pegs stick out, I didn't realize they stuck out any further than the other kits.

Those Outlaw Cycle forwards look good, and very reasonably priced compared to the Jaybrake J-series ones I had my eye on. Almost half the cost actually.

EDIT: I just read this on their website....
Note: All forward controls require use of a custom brake line. All 2000-present Softail models will also need to replace the stock kickstand. Use DOT-5 Silicone brake fluid only. 2" extended controls will hit the front fender on Heritage, Deluxe and Fatboy models.

I don't want to have to change the kickstand or get a custom brake line....

Last edited by 13bob; 04-22-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2015 | 03:10 PM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer

Originally Posted by 13bob
Thanks for the info... Interesting about how far Harley's pegs stick out, I didn't realize they stuck out any further than the other kits.

Those Outlaw Cycle forwards look good, and very reasonably priced compared to the Jaybrake J-series ones I had my eye on. Almost half the cost actually.

EDIT: I just read this on their website....
Note: All forward controls require use of a custom brake line. All 2000-present Softail models will also need to replace the stock kickstand. Use DOT-5 Silicone brake fluid only. 2" extended controls will hit the front fender on Heritage, Deluxe and Fatboy models.

I don't want to have to change the kickstand or get a custom brake line....
that is the main pain with aftermarket controls.... new kick stand and new brake line. i needed a new kickstand either way, so i decided to go the extra mile and get aftermarket controls.

as far as the stock length, there really not too bad... i just wanted super short & low profile. you can google different bikes and see them, but heres a few examples... also you can probably get shorter pegs if you want, but its not necessary because all Harley's have long pegs. thats just how they are so most people dont notice it

Last edited by ADRENALINE RUSH; 04-22-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2015 | 09:18 PM
13bob
|
Tourer

Thanks man, I think I'm going to stick with the HD forward controls from a fitment and a cost perspective.

Thanks for posting those pics.

Old 04-22-2015 | 10:44 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

how about you do a full trade for someone who wants boards? aka me

Old 04-23-2015 | 12:28 AM
13bob
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by stal94gt
how about you do a full trade for someone who wants boards? aka me
Thanks, but I want to keep the boards just incase I ever want to go back.

Quick Reply: Forward controls for Fatboy Lo - which kit is best?